Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
601 Posts
First, no apologies needed here Mark. :shh:

* As for the big question, personally for me, the price difference is not justified. I will pick the 906.
Funny you ask about something of no relation to sound quality. The menus in the 5007 are not much improved over the already quite nice and easy to understand of the 906. Very elementary my dear.

If you really want to see the new menu graphics of the 5007 vs the 906, here's a taste:
-> You'll probably have to use your Google toolbar Translation feature, as this is in German.

* The Onkyo TX-NR906: -> http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2009/av_receiver_mastertest_3.shtml
-> Just look at the first two pictures.

* And you can have a look at those menu graphics from the Onkyo TX-SR606, which I believe are very similar to the ones from the 906: -> http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2008/onkyo_tx_sr606_1.shtml

* And now the OnkyoTX-NR5007: -> http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2009/onkyo_txnr5007.shtml

Bob

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you cannot stretch to the prices of the new Onkyo amps then the older 905 or even better try and get hold of a 906 which gives nearly all that is required and has plenty of power, rated as THX Ultra 2 spec so no problem driving difficult speaker loads, and it has nearly all the features you could ever want...

·
Banned
601 Posts
^ Hey I got an helper. :bigsmile: Thanks John. Me too, I'll say the 906. :T

* And good morning to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
707 bi-amp, zone 2, rear surround conflict??

Just assembled my new system with the Onkyo 707, Polk Monitor 70s, Polk CS2 Center, 4 Polk surrounds, and a sub.

This 707 beast has posts for 11.2 hookups, though of course only 7 of them are powered. With 11 banks I'm baffled why they chose to connect the three most common upgrades (bi-amp, zone 2, rear surround) all on the same bank and make you choose only one while front high and wide are sitting there unused? I upgraded from a 605 (also double checked the 607) and it allows wiring both rear surrounds and zone 2 at the same time. When you turned on zone 2 your 7.1 drops to 5.1, but you didn't have to change wires. I spent major $$ upgrading to the 707 and I don't have the same wiring flexibility as the 605/607? I guess I should have double checked this first, but I never expected to lose options when going up a model. Why wouldn't they spread those out over a few of the other connections and give you more flexibility?

I guess I'll either have to add an amp for the unpowered zone 2 outs or sell the 707 and get a 607 to listen to my patio speakers now...

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Jeremy, if not happy with what you have why not go back to the dealership you bought it from and explain your situation to them, maybe you reconsider looking at any of the other amps to see if they fit your requirements?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Jeremy,
Beyond this setback, you now have a far more capable AVR. You now have THX Processing, and the ability to actually add an amplifier. The lack of preouts was a major issue with the 600 Series. Also, you have a much better version of Audyssey's EQ with MultEQ.

If the issue is getting power to your Patio Speakers, I would add an amplifier to your Monitor 70's. You would get far better sound for Stereo listening, and give more power to all of your other channels.

There are many available used 2 channel amplifiers or something new like the Behringer EP1500 is unbelievably cheap. I realize this is added cost over what you were anticipating, but you really do now have a much better AVR and I would hate to see you downgrade over this issue.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Jeremy, I agree with John. If you are not happy, definitely take the unit back and find something that closer fits your needs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Jeremy, if not happy with what you have why not go back to the dealership you bought it from and explain your situation to them, maybe you reconsider looking at any of the other amps to see if they fit your requirements?
Yeah, I just hate the idea of stepping "down" to the 607 to pick up a feature missing from the 707. I don't understand the logic of why they would make it that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.

Have anyone made the 807 work with flac from a server? If yes, wich software to use? Cant get freenas/squeezecenter to work...

:rofl:

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hello.

Have anyone made the 807 work with flac from a server? If yes, wich software to use? Cant get freenas/squeezecenter to work...

:rofl:
I have read that trying to get the Onkyo to stream music has caused some problems for people and I could never get my 905 to stream music either, If no luck from any users here I would contact your dealership you bought it from or contact Onkyo direct for an answer...

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Onkyo just wrote something about them never heard about problems with streaming music...
I would of thought that on the newer models any teething problems would of been sorted regarding the streaming of music over Ethernet, and for older models they should of released firmware to rectify issues...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some good points on this receiver, yet with the release of the 808 around the corner, it might be best to wait.

Etailers are already reducing the price in the $650 range, in hopes of lowering inventory for the new products.

ESPN is in the process of releasing a dedicated channel for 3D. With all manufactures changing over to 3D (HDMI 1.4), I see increased price lowering to liquidate these models.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It's always typical you buy a product and 6 months down the line is outdated already :rolleyesno:

Seriously though there is obviously going to be the introduction of 3D TV and Blu-ray players but you'll get away with still using HDMI 1.3 Receivers but with the BD players offering 2 out puts, that's if you want to adopt it !

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
While ESPN, Disney, and a Sony led Consortium are going to launch 3D Channels, this by no means that there is going to be widespread adoption. This Article from an Movie Industry Website echoes many I have come across lately:http://www.thewrap.com/article/3d-tv-16281

Given that it is only recently that the mass market has moved to HDTV's, the idea that large numbers are going to scrap their entire existing equipment seems unlikely. Moreover the idea that Families are going to be sitting in a Living Room wearing 3D Glasses seems unlikely. Especially with the price of extra 3D Glasses. As I have maintained for some time, I am not interested in 3D until Glasses are not required.

The Article I linked above made a good point that most HDTV's are under 1000 Dollars and the push by CE Companies is to raise prices as the profit margins on Panels is now razor thin. Whereas even 6 years ago I spent 2500 Dollars (3000 with Stand and tax) on a 34" tube TV. My Sony KV-34XBR910 is a beautiful set, but weighs 200 pounds and is too small for HT.

I am not trying to sound negative about 3D. For those who are gearing up to change everything over, I wish them nothing but the best. And yes, some HDMI 1.3 gear will be compatible albeit at a greatly reduced resolution.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi I just bought a 807. It seems to "click" when it switches between an HD channel and non. I am guessing this is normal. When should I expect to hear this clicking?

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi I just bought a 807. It seems to "click" when it switches between an HD channel and non. I am guessing this is normal. When should I expect to hear this clicking?
Its more than likely the relays kicking in when going from a 5.1 source to 2.0, I have heard this on some amps but not on others as long as all is working as it should I would not worry, do you have warranty on the amp still?

If it is really bothering you a quick call to your Onkyo supplier and ask the same question, my old Yamaha Z9 used to click like mad but other amps did not or they were so quiet that I did not hear it.

My present amp Rotel always makes a clicking noise when turning on the processor so for me it is normal and am used to it and would be worried if it did not.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts