Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Onkyo TX SR805 review

I'm considering either the 805 or 875 but have heard lots of complaints about the heat they put out.

How hot do they get?

Do you think strapping a 12cm low noise fan on top of the case and plugged into one of the 12v triggers would help alleviate the problem?

Also TonyVdb...I'm in Canada too, how much did you get gouged on duty brining it over the border?
The heat is not as big a deal as some say but it does get warm and should not be placed in a rack where there is less than 6" of space above it to breath.
I have a fan just as you say on the back right corner and it makes a huge difference.

Shipping to Canada was not as bad as I thought. Brokerage fees were $55 and then GST. I still came out ahead by at least $350 compared to what it would have cost here.

·
Registered
969 Posts

I'm wondering if the VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuit) is that big of a deal with the 875. The 805 does not apparently have it.

Does anyone know if VLSC is the same thing as Denon's AL24 processing?

I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on either the 805 or the 875. The only differences between the two seem to be 10W of power, VLSC and the Reon chip. The video processing is nice but not a big deal for me since I'll be using my HD-A2 to output to my projector. With the money I save on the 805 I could even buy a refurbished HD-XA2 if I really wanted the Reon for upsampling DVDs. I'm just not sure how much of a difference in audio quality the VLSC adds.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I'm wondering if the VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuit) is that big of a deal with the 875. The 805 does not apparently have it.

Does anyone know if VLSC is the same thing as Denon's AL24 processing?
I'm not sure if you have read THIS review but it may clear up some questions.
You can see by what he says that it beats out receivers that cost twice as much so I doubt that the difference is noticeable or for that mater better.

·
Registered
969 Posts

I did read that review and it is very in depth. I also read the review of the 875 at Sound and Vision which gave it high marks and their stamp of excellence. The 875 according to their test bench results is equal to or better than the Denon 4308 in most of the audio areas. I have no way of demoing either as their are no resellers in my area that carry those models. 2001 Audio carries Onkyo but limited 705 and below.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hey Tony... I hope you don't mind me making your thread the Official Owners Thread for the Shack. If you do, I'll start a new one, but I thought since there was already some good discussion here it would be as good as any.

I finally got mine all connected up tonight with my Dish Network VIP622 and my Oppo 981. I cannot seem to get the Onkyo to recognize Dolby Digital via the Oppo. I am using HDMI on both the 622 and the 981... the 622 is doing DD fine, but the 981 will not auto default to it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind... I did not have the 981 setup properly. :rolleyesno: The oppo is new to me.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey Tony... I hope you don't mind me making your thread the Official Owners Thread for the Shack. If you do, I'll start a new one, but I thought since there was already some good discussion here it would be as good as any.
Hi Sonnie,
No its no problem making this thread the Official Owners Thread.
EDIT: Nevermind... I did not have the 981 setup properly. :rolleyesno: The oppo is new to me.
It always amazes me that the user setup menu's in DVD players dont default the audio to bitstream over HDMI (assuming that was the problem).

Tony

Oh, by the way where did you end up placing your 805?
I found that putting a 120mm fan on the top rear/right of the receiver really removes alot of the heat that is generated by it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try "David Gilmour's Remember That Night" via blu-ray bitstreaming Dolby True-HD. It sounds amazing.

I'm using the Onkyo 805 with the Samsung BD P1400 with JBL E80's for mains, the E35 for the center, JBL 810's for sides and rears and an IB sub.

Nothing high end but it still sounds fantastic. Best sounding disc that I have ever owned. (For music)

S

·
0 Posts
I'll be replacing my Denon 2805 and i really like the 805. I'm abit concerned with the heat but i have an open cabinet with a good 6" above and might get a fan if needed. Any other problems or all in all is this a good replacement for my 2805?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had mine since early October and have had no problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Woohoo!! :jump:

Add me to the list of Proud 805 owners. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Circuit City had a sale on them. Original price was 1099.00 and they were on sale for 799.00. They had an open box (missing mic, all other pieces were still sealed in plastic and tape from factory) and asked 699.00 for it. If you get the 3 year warranty (28.00) I could get another 10% off. Total cost for the 805 was 669.00 with 3 year full replacement warranty. :smile:

I set it up and noticed a GREAT LEAP in sound from my old Yamaha HTR-5040. It was gettin long in the tooth and has served me very well for several years. Unfortunately, It had no HDMI and no Preouts which were critical to me or I would have kept it for a few more years. It sounded good to me... until I heard this 805. All I can say is APPLES and ORANGES. the HTR wasn't even in the class as the 805 so there is no honest comparison to be made.

Only one question... anyone got a mic I can borrow (or rent for that matter) for a few weeks to get things set up? Or will any mic do? :huh:

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm not sure about the Onkyo's for replacement mic but the older (pre Audyssey) Denon's say you can use a Behringer ECM8000. The mic from the 3805 and 2807 is the same, but they changed it with the 3808. The older ones were round and flat where as the new ones are 3 or 4 inches tall and taper up to a point. I think the main requirement is the frequency response of the mic ~15Hz to ~20KHz. Most standard mics don't go down that low. There would be other factors also like the mic's sensitivity that would come into play.

Amazon.com: Behringer ECM8000 Omnidirectional Measurement Condenser Microphone: Electronics

I'd check Ebay for the actual 805 mic first or contact Onkyo to see if you could buy one. If all else fails you could grab the Behringer. I also saw this mic on Marantz's site http://ca.marantz.com/Products/1998.asp. It looks pretty much looks the same as the one that came with my 2808.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Only one question... anyone got a mic I can borrow (or rent for that matter) for a few weeks to get things set up? Or will any mic do? :huh:

Thanks
Dan
Welcome to the 805 club :)

Give Onkyo a call, You should be able to buy one from them for not to much money.

P

·
0 Posts
I've had mine since early October and have had no problems.
I have also mine from early October. But because of *very* limited space for air circulation (inside a closed cabinet, only 3 inches far from the wall behind, and just two inches from the shelf above - surely way below ONKYO's recommendation), it got very hot, but it didn't turn off (and I was playing for more than 30' very loud rock music in low sensitivity speakers -A'Gallo A'Diva Ti), and sound was amazing!

So, probably there is no problem even in this rather extreme setup. But, just to be in the safe side I am now using force ventilation with two 14' fans....

To tonyvdb: Very good review! Have you tried more configurations with audyssey set up (placing the mic in more positions, in different height etc.)? I have found that it is worth experimenting with! I found the best sound (till now) after the fifth try!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I have had mine for a couple of weeks... use it daily on average 6-8 hours daily... longer on Saturday. No issues thus far and not near as hot as I have heard others speak of.

S

·
0 Posts
I have had mine for three weeks. No issues so far other than heat.

If there is more space on the sides it helps a lot rather than having more space on the top.

This one really brought life into my Polk rti8's.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
To tonyvdb: Very good review! Have you tried more configurations with audyssey set up (placing the mic in more positions, in different height etc.)? I have found that it is worth experimenting with! I found the best sound (till now) after the fifth try!
Thanks,
I will be redoing it once I get my new SVS PB13 Ultra. As I am very happy with the sound to this point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Give Onkyo a call, You should be able to buy one from them for not to much money.
Thanks for the quick response folks... Tony, that was a great idea... they sold it to me for 12.95 + 6.00 S&H...be here in 3 business days...

Now Im happy.. :yay:

Dan

I

·
0 Posts
Mine was bad out of the box! Left and left back surround had pre-amp issues. It's since been returned and I'm waiting on the replacement. When I attempted to do the initial Auddessy set-up...the left back had a very weak signal and would keep stopping at that point. This is driving me crazy :gah: because I JUST received my Aperions. Now they are waiting...covered in Velvet...for the replacement 805. :sob:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok i'm getting ready to pull the trigger and buy the 805.can anyone tell me if it actually does three zones?I would like to have a zone outside and another in the kitchen while watching the tv.It's not really important that i do all at the same time but would like to be watching tv and have either the outside speakers going for the kids or music in the kitchen for the wife,but if i could do all that at once it would be great.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts