Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just exploring options on which box to build for yt TC200. i think I have ready everything there is to read about LLT options....but I have not read anything about sealed sonosubs. Would putting a TC2000 in a sealed sonotube work? I'm thinking it might be worth it to try if I could find a 3' sonotube drop someplace.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about doing a PR sealed sonosub...which would make the sub around 7 cu ft. I am thinking about this because I have never built either a sonosub or a PR sub...so why not try both at once? I have done aperiodic subs in a car once and LOVED them.

Can anyone suggest a box size and a driver to use as the PR? I was going to contact Danny over at GR research....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GR sells passive radiators, but they are not designed for horizontal use, so they won't work in a Sonotube. (unless you're laying it on it's side, which I was considering...)
Yes , that is true....plu i have read that the TC2000 is not recommended as a down firing sub either. I'm not convinced that a PR sub will sound better than a LLT anyway. So i may just go LLT in a box and fire horizontal.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
tundra said:
I'm not convinced that a PR sub will sound better than a LLT anyway.
What would have led you to think it ever might have? A PR will have a sharper rolloff (degraded transient response) and more suspension linearity issues to worry about. The only advantage offered by using PRs is being able to get reflex output without using a large enclosure, but by not using a large enclosure, you still end up missing out on certain performance characteristics. In other words, using PRs in a smaller enclosure does not replace a proper LLT, and in no scenario can I see it performing better.....you'd be lucky to get it to perform nearly as well to be honest.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I think you can not use a passive radiator down firing.

Here is a quote from Acoustic Elegance web site :

The PR should never be down-firing, the high Mms will cause the diaphragm to be displaced downward immediately. The spiders will eventually be stretched permanently by this treatment, and the unit will need to be rebuilt.

On my oppinion, passive Radiator are a good option if you want a small sub with extended low end. I agree with Steve that a proper LLT will perform with more impact than a small sealed sub, even with passive radiator. But LLT impose you to deal with a BIG cabinet. That was not "wife acceptable" in my case... :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...so if I hear what you guys are saying I should think very hard abotu a LLT:bigsmile: I am thinking about a "box" with the woofer and port on the same wall....say if the box was 24x24x36 ( it won't be but this gives you a visual)....I am picturing the sub top center on the 24x24 baffle and the port bottom center on the same 24x24 baffle. I am going to corner load this and fire it out into the room at an angle.

Can I get you guys to sign off on this, or suggest further refinements?:nerd:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts