Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at my first diy sub build. I'm thinking about using an Fi SSD12. I'm a novice with WinISD but I think I've come up with a suitable design. I don't have much room. The sub can't be too big. It's going to be used in a home cinema system made up of Arcam electronics and PMC speakers.

I'd appreciate input on my Win ISD set up and also what amp to use.

Many thanks,

Dreadwax

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you went with a Bash 500 amp the hi-pass filter would be at 18 hz. Two 3" ports isn't enough, your options are three 3" ports, Two 4" ports, or a slot port.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Like I said, I'm a beginner.

How does this one look?

Also, can you advise on the importance of a flat response. I'm trying to keep it as level as possible.
Is this the right way to approach things or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the WinISD file for the SSD12 from here (many thanks to all those that have uploaded btw). I've noticed that the file has Xmax as 21mm. Fi site states 20mm. My set up (vented 2 above) has Xmax peak at 20.5mm. Is this acceptable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are plenty of differences. Suppose it makes my calculations off.
I'm staring at the options to make my own file but it all looks a bit daunting.
I'll see what I can do but if there's an expert that wouldn't mind putting one together, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I've been looking at Hypex amp plates. Specifically the DS4.0 - are they any good or should I just get a bash? And if I read it correctly, the filter kicks in at 12Hz as opposed to 18 on the bash. Is that right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Will do.

I've been looking at the info in the file you linked and it still doesn't match the Fi site.
Sorry to be a pest, but would you mind comparing these stats with the file and telling me what you think...

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 30.1 Hz | 30.1 Hz
Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil
Qms: 7.65 | 7.65
Qes: .37 | .37
Qts: .36 | .36
Mms: 248g | 248g
Cms: 0.11mm/N | 0.11mm/N
Sd: 480cm^2 | 480cm^2
Vas: 36.5 l | 36.5 l
Spl: 86.1dB 1W/1m | 86.1dB 1W/1m
Bl: 13.1 N/A | 18.7 N/A
Xmax: 20mm
Rms: 1000W
Sealed box: .7-1.2 cuft
Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 33Hz
Sub OD: 12.500”
Cut ID: 11.125”
Mounting depth: 6.500”
Displacement: 0.14cuft

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
WinISD uses an auto calculate feature when entering certain parameters in a specific order. You enter certain parameters and WinISD calculates the rest. There will be small difference in parameter numbers compared to what the Fi site states. You can turn the auto calculate off and enter all the parameters manually. If you compare an auto calculate driver file and a manual driver file there would be no noticeable or minimal differences in the modeling. Only when there are really large differences is there a problem that needs investigation.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I dont know the Bash ,butt i have 2 Hypex DS4 on my 2 JL 13W3V3-4.
The control that this amp has over the sub,s is amazing,really good.

At al local forum wher i am a member ,somebody had Bash to,and after that Hypex.
He gave the Hypex a beter review.
But i dont wanna say it myself before testing myself.

3 port,s give my sub also the best calculation.
Nice build that i,am gonna follow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts