Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OPPO BDP-105 Multi Player Review Discussion Thread

I had the good fortune to review the latest player in the OPPO line; the OPPO BDP-105. I have the BDP-85 and the BDP-103, so the BDP-105 had some competition already in place to go up against. I will say I was not disappointed. This player can handle pretty much anything you throw at it and does it very well. Yes, the video is absolutely awesome. If you only watched movies with this player, you would be very content, but that is just a drop in the bucket for this players bag of tricks. Toss in your favorite CD or stream some high def files from your computer and get ready for some aural bliss. Music is where the BDP-105 really shines. The time and effort that has gone into this player for 2-channel playback makes it a world class player.

Read the full review here: OPPO BDP-105 Multi Player Review

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Excellent review Luther... thank you!

OPPO has really got a nice player here.

And I am certainly enjoying having this unit sitting in my home right now. It will get the real deal workout during the speaker evaluation weekend... not only with music, but with movies too.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I hope to add one at some point down the road. I have been oogling over the Oppo players for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree OPPO builds really great gear. The only thing i have heard that was noticeably better was a MSB transport and DAC but at a price over $20 grand. This makes the BDP-105 a fantastic deal.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Great review Luther!

I have been an Oppo fan from the get go as well but not sure if I need the BDP-105. Right now I am about 90% movies as my schedule has been too busy for much music anymore, do you think the 105 is worth it from a mainly movie standpoint?

Your DIY speakers are hall of fame material, just outstanding!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great review Luther!

I have been an Oppo fan from the get go as well but not sure if I need the BDP-105. Right now I am about 90% movies as my schedule has been too busy for much music anymore, do you think the 105 is worth it from a mainly movie standpoint?

Your DIY speakers are hall of fame material, just outstanding!
Every system is different and every owner has his or her own requirements. If you can swing the 105 without financial hardship, the 105 playing split AV mode is as about as good as it gets. If you need to watch your coins or want to spread the dollars out over more gear, the 103 will give you fantastic results. The two use the same video circuit.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Would I bypass the video processing on the 818 if the Oppo is in the mix?
I tried it through my Onkyo to my tv and it looked fine but to get the best picture from my Panasonic projector, going direct to the projector was a lot better. Each system has its own synergy. I would try it both ways and see, but I would expect the video processor in the OPPO will out pace the 818.

Again, the 105 has the ability to use the HDMI1 for video only and HDMI2 for audio only. This gives the very best quality for each.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great review Wardsweb! I have owned and been a fan of Oppo products for years.

I just want to point out a couple things that may be misleading to the laymen in your review.

You state that by having the video and audio split between the two HDMI outputs that you are getting the best audio and video, basically leading the reader to infer that if the audio and video are being sent from one HDMI output there is some sort of compression in effect. This is not the case. You will get the exact same audio and video experience by using one or both HDMI outputs – and the same goes for the BDP-103.

In fact the only difference between the 103 and 105 are the analog audio components included on the 105. I couldn’t tell by your review whether you had used them for your 2 channel music test or not.

The bottom line is if you only use HDMI to transmit both the audio and video (with one or 2 cables) there is no reason to spend twice the money on the 105 vs. the 103.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great review Wardsweb! I have owned and been a fan of Oppo products for years.

I just want to point out a couple things that may be misleading to the laymen in your review.

You state that by having the video and audio split between the two HDMI outputs that you are getting the best audio and video, basically leading the reader to infer that if the audio and video are being sent from one HDMI output there is some sort of compression in effect. This is not the case. You will get the exact same audio and video experience by using one or both HDMI outputs – and the same goes for the BDP-103.

In fact the only difference between the 103 and 105 are the analog audio components included on the 105. I couldn’t tell by your review whether you had used them for your 2 channel music test or not.

The bottom line is if you only use HDMI to transmit both the audio and video (with one or 2 cables) there is no reason to spend twice the money on the 105 vs. the 103.
Thanks for helping clarify. I was going on information found in the OPPO Q&A. Now I'm sure not eveyones system can tell the difference but for those looking for the very best high def signal, I read this:

Q: Will both HDMI outputs support full resolution simultaneously and are they independently scalable?
A: Yes, both HDMI outputs can support full resolution simultaneously provided that the display devices connected to the two HDMI ports can both support the full resolution. The two outputs can output different resolutions but are not independently scalable. As described in the answer to the previous question, the HDMI 1 output is driven by the Qdeo video processor and the HDMI 2 output is direct from the main SoC. In order to make it simple for customers to properly set up the player, we offer a choice of “Split A/V” or “Dual Display” for configuration the two HDMI outputs. When “Split A/V” is selected, HDMI 1 is the primary video port and HDMI 2 is the primary audio port. HDMI 1 outputs video at the highest possible resolution and mutes audio. HDMI 2 outputs video at a resolution that can sufficiently carry the best audio. This mode is intended for users who connect HDMI 1 to a projector and HDMI 2 to an A/V receiver. When “Dual Display” is selected, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 take a “best effort” strategy and output an audio/video signal that is commonly compatible with the downstream devices connected to both ports. This mode is intended for simultaneously supporting two screens. When only one of the HDMI ports is in use, the “Split A/V” or “Dual Display” setting is not applicable.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is some more information on the feature from OPPO's knowledge base.

Understanding Split A/V Mode

The dual HDMI outputs on the BDP-10x series of players provide additional versatility in the connections you are able to make to the rest of your equipment.

The player's Dual HDMI Output setting will default Split A/V mode when two HDMI cables are connected. This will result in video being output via HDMI 1 OUT, and audio being output via HDMI 2 OUT. There are a number of reasons why you may want to consider this connection type:

1. If you have a 3D display but your AV receiver or processor is not 3D compatible, you will not be able to output a 3D signal to your television by connecting a single HDMI cable from the Blu-ray player into the AV receiver / processor, and then to the display. Rather than purchasing an entirely new AV receiver, you can make use of the player's dual HDMI outputs to split the audio and video signals. Split A/V mode will send the 3D video directly to your display via HDMI 1 OUT and the audio to your AV receiver / processor via HDMI 2 Out.

2. If your AV receiver / processor has undefeatable video processing associated with its HDMI output that you would prefer to avoid, then utilizing Split A/V mode will ensure that the video signal reaches your display device without undergoing any additional processing.

A consideration that needs to be made when using this connection type is that HDMI 1 Out will output video only, so you will need to ensure that your AV receiver / processor is turned on in order to get any audio. When Split A/V mode is enabled, there will be no audio output to your display via HDMI, so you will not be able to use your display's speakers.

Note: While HDMI 1 will only output video while Split A/V mode is active, HDMI 2 will output both an audio and video signal.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes the HDMI 1 output uses the awesome Qdeo video processor but whether you output the audio and video using that port or only use it for video the quality is the same.

I think you still may be misinterpreting the "Split AV" function as reducing some sort of compression versus just simply allowing the audio to go out of a separate port than the video.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

The additional inputs on the 105 might also be a consideration for some.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great point Kal!

I should have mentioned that and also that the 105 has a slightly different exterior design along with the aforementioned headphone support.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OPPO comes through again. Just a simple email and a quick reply gives us the clarification that even I can understand.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
For most users the video resolution will be the same for both Split A/V and Dual Display mode. However if the user has a mismatched combination of displays, for example a 1080p TV on HDMI 1 and a 1080i TV on HDMI 2, there could be some difference. In Split A/V mode HDMI 1 will get 1080p output and HDMI 2 may get either a 1080i output with both audio and video (depending on the source) or a blank 1080i screen with audio only. In Dual Display mode both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 will be guaranteed to have audio and video, but HDMI 1 may only get up to 1080i because that’s the common format supported by the TV connected to the HDMI 2 port. Similarly, for 3D content if HDMI 1 is connected to a 3D TV and HDMI 2 is connected to a non-3D TV, using “Split A/V” will ensure that you get 3D on the HDMI 1 TV but the HDMI 2 TV will get a blank screen. Using “Dual Display” will only get you 2D on both TVs because that’s the common format supported by the two TVs.

Here the “highest possible resolution” means the best that the TV on HDMI 1 can support, be it 1080p, 1080p24, 4K or 3D. “Best effort” means that the player will try to accommodate both TVs in case one has lesser capability than the other by sacrificing some quality for the better TV. If there is only one HDMI port in use, this setting is not applicable and does not matter at all.

For practical use, the rule of thumb is very simple: 1. If only one HDMI port is in use, the setting does not matter; 2. If HDMI 1 is connected to a TV and HDMI 2 connected to an A/V receiver, use “Split A/V”. 3. If both HDMI ports are connected to TVs, use “Dual Display”.

Best regards,

Jason Liao

OPPO Digital, Inc.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That makes perfect sense. From what I've seen Oppo's support is unmatched and is also a huge selling point of their products (as you had mentioned in your review). One day in the future I hope to have an Oppo phone in my pocket :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That makes perfect sense. From what I've seen Oppo's support is unmatched and is also a huge selling point of their products (as you had mentioned in your review). One day in the future I hope to have an Oppo phone in my pocket :D
Now that would be awesome!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Is it just me or does this image's color seem messed? I haven't yet seen the movie and I don't think my display is that far out of whack. What's with the blue? Nobody else sees this?

-V

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts