Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to downsize my system & the BDP-83 looks like it might fit the bill nicely. My current CA 840C player sounds fantastic but I would give serious consideration in selling it & using the BDP-83 for all my audio/video needs. I'm going on reviews that claim that the analog stage is very good. Even if it comes close the the CA 840's performance I think I'd be tempted to make the switch. Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Phil,
I myself have been looking at both the Cambridge Audio 840C and the Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray Player.

The most recent review in Playback Magazine located here, claims it could hold its own against many <$1k CD Player. Chris Martens goes on to say it competes favorably with his reference NAD Masters Series M55 Universal Player which retails for $1800. The NAD M55 having won the SQ test in the end, but not by much.

Not having heard either player, but going on my experience of currently owning both an Oppo DV-980H Universal Player and a Cambridge Audio 840A Integrated Amplifier....I would wager that the Cambridge Audio 840c sounds better, BUUUUUUUUUT, the Oppo BDP-83 has utility in spades and is a price to performance ratio leader.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
My only caution to simply using one player for all is that you put allot more wear and tare on it. Using a dedicated CD player for music and a dedicated DVD player for movies will in the long run make both pieces last much longer.

By the way, Welcome to the Shack Phil

·
Registered
207 Posts
With each passing day I get closer and closer to "pullin" the trigger on one of those Oppo BDP-83's. I just purchased a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic to do the D/A Duties for my current DVD transport and computer.

The BDP-83's analog performance makes have to rethink the whole idea of my DAC being digital "quarterback" of my system.

My computer is the main audio source and the one source most in need of a quality DAC. I could just focus on a single input DAC for it, and run the BDP-83 via it's analog outputs. Decisions, Decisions. :coocoo:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Curious as to what formats/equipment you have on your computer...
Where possible I use FLAC files transmitted via coaxial digital output from my computer feeding my a CA DAC Magic. I say where possible because I do have many MP3 files of music that I love but can't find FLAC files for. :(

My Oppo DV-980H also feeds the DAC Magic, then I feed my CA Azur 840A Integrated Amplifier the balanced output of the DAC Magic.

I must say, that this is quite a nice sounding setup. I would like remote my PC from the equation however, the computer with it's noisy fan is not suited for use in my 2-channel system.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've been using itunes (imported CDs using lossless format), pushing to an airport express, optical output direct to preamp. I have been looking at the BDP-83 as well. If I *really* want to listen to music, I'll still pop a real CD in a player. The itunes setup is nice for casual listening (and it feeds the whole house audio). From the reviews it sounds like it has excellent on board D/As feeding the 2 channel output.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been using itunes (imported CDs using lossless format), pushing to an airport express, optical output direct to preamp. I have been looking at the BDP-83 as well. If I *really* want to listen to music, I'll still pop a real CD in a player. The itunes setup is nice for casual listening (and it feeds the whole house audio). From the reviews it sounds like it has excellent on board D/As feeding the 2 channel output.
My HTPC is my primary source for music. I listen to probably 70% of my music through it. The rest of the split is something like this:
  • 25% - Cable Television
  • 5% - Oppo DV-980H DVD PLayer
The only problem I have is the HTPC is noisy as a source. I can hear its fan operating from my listening position. A no no in my system. I'm looking for a solution. :wits-end:

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
The Oppo actualy has quite a good 2 channel output thanks to the seperate DAC's for this purpose. I suppose it all depends on what you have been used to previously and what you hope to achieve, it does give a good balance with all the optical formats but it can bettered by dedicated units, and seperate offboard DAC's if to be used as a transport only...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
For standard CDs, as recruit said, the Oppo BDP-83 is a great player. The analog stage is good quality (of course there are modifications to make it even better), but stock it is impressive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have been able to mod my Oppo recently, and I could not be happier with the results. I went from a Marantz to the Oppo and I originally thought the Oppo sound was inferior to the sound of the Marantz. After modding the unit, I greatly prefer with the sound of the analog outs of the Oppo over the Marantz and I like having a more or less universal player as the backbone of my system.

A word of caution to those who are expecting a night and day change in the sound or video output of their oppo. HDMI was minimally impoved in my experience. It was the analog outs that benefited the most from the mods. Of course, that probably has to do with the fact that it is the quality of your pre/pro or receiver that matters more if you are using HDMI and mine is nothing particularly special.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Jerrin, I'm curious, who did the mod for you and what was the price? I am interested in doing the analog stage only, eventually, but want to see what the price differences are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jon,

I had Doug Jesse from ASI Teknologies upgrade my oppo. His prices were higher than the average going rate, but I was impressed by the thoroughness of his mods and all of the options. I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times and he seemed very knowledgeable. So I went with him.

I went for the Stage 3 full player Mods/Rebuilds for $1995, as I listen to a lot of music (primarily stereo, due to a relative dearth of multichannel source material that I would enjoy). I also had the optional 7.1 analog upgrade done and added the digital power source to power the new clock seperately.

To be totally frank and upfront, I consider the improvement to HDMI sources to be fairly small (for reasons already stated). Multichannel analog, compared to the HDMI sounds noticably more powerful and detailed. I would say it is a moderate change and is noticable compared to HDMI. Though again, I should mention that the better your pre/pro or receiver is, you might notice a more significant increase in quality of the HDMI after modding.

Lastly, with regards to the stereo analog outputs, there is no comparison. Without question, it is substantially better sounding than stock. It has sparkle, sizzle, and much more detail, without being sharp or brittle. Indeed, the sound is much more powerful and slightly more forward in nature. There really is a large difference in the sound and far to the better in my opinion. That's why I am eagerly awaiting my LS9's. I cannot wait to hear the benefit of having much better speakers for my modded Oppo. Next is the pre-pro; I hope Emotiva comes out with the XMC-1 soon.... Or perhaps the new Onkyo pre/pro....

Long story short, in my opinion, it's a lot of money, but I and my fiance noticed a dramatic sound quality change for the better on analog stereo, a moderate change in quality on multichannel analog, and a slight improvement in picture quality and sound over HDMI (probably due to decreased jitter).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That's exactly what I was expecting to hear, Jerrin. I am really eager to have the modifications done, but I will hold off on them for a little bit longer.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I'd love to hear a modded 83, the Oppo has a very good following atm and rightly so, a reference player for most, but with the modifications currently availible it pushes it even higher up the audiophile food chain for sure...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let's put it this way.... I have to work hard to watch movies now. I keep wanting to just sit and listen to music. I can hardly wait to hear Blu-ray audio.... Bring on the 24 bit 192Khz stereo or multichannel albums!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That is great to hear, Jerrin! Just wait until you get your LS-9's! You think you're listening to music a lot now.... wait until those suckers arrive.

Also, what are you using for your main speakers right now?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My mains are Rocket 850's. For surrounds I am using the QS8's and my center channel is the Bigfoot. They blend surprisingly well. That said, when my 9's arrive, the 850's will be moved downstairs into the HT.

I've been waiting so long for the 9's that I have already modded my Oppo and bought 2 XPA-1's to power them. lol

Hopefully, they will show up in just a month or two.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm hopin' for you, Jerrin. I won't go into my frustrations waiting for mine, but I will say that they are indeed worth the wait!

I had the 850 Sigs before my LS-9's as well. I thought the 850's were good, but in every way imaginable, the LS-9's trounce on the 850's.

The QS series surrounds are very capable speakers. I was always fond of the QS4's when I had them a few years ago.

Keep me informed as to when you finally get them!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd like to downsize my system & the BDP-83 looks like it might fit the bill nicely. My current CA 840C player sounds fantastic but I would give serious consideration in selling it & using the BDP-83 for all my audio/video needs. I'm going on reviews that claim that the analog stage is very good. Even if it comes close the the CA 840's performance I think I'd be tempted to make the switch. Any opinions? Thanks.
If you've got a quality CD player and are using 2 channel analog outs, I doubt that you'll be satisfied with the Oppo 83' 2 channel analog out.

I compared my Pioneer 51's two channel analog outs to the Oppo 83's and was a bit surprised that the 51 sound that much better. I was rooting for the Oppo, but reality takes precedence over hype.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts