Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly questions but here goes.

1) Can I connect both my Optical & RCA for the audio at the same time out of my DVD player into my A/V? I've heard that when I'm playing CD's it better to go thru the RCA rather than the optical output as the optical is better suited for surround sound signals found in movie tracks.
2) Will my A/V make the distinction? :scratchhead:

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

My DVD player outputs a signal from both at the same time, so I'd be surprised if yours doesn't. What you could do is send the analog red/white RCAs to a different input on the receiver - the one labeled "CD" for instance. Then you could switch back and forth between the "CD" and "DVD" inputs and see if you can tell a difference.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
1) Can I connect both my Optical & RCA for the audio at the same time out of my DVD player into my A/V?
No problem, this is common practice if you still record cds to a tape deck or other analog device.
I've heard that when I'm playing CD's it better to go thru the RCA rather than the optical output as the optical is better suited for surround sound signals found in movie tracks.
It depends on whether your receiver has better DAC's than the DVD player in most cases the receiver will unless your CD player is a high end one.
2) Will my A/V make the distinction? :scratchhead:
The digital input will take priority but as I said above the analog signal will still be run through the receiver as well to the analog tape outputs.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
Is it true thought that CD music sound is better thru RCA's?
Well, either way there's a D/A (digital to analog) converter involved. If you're using analog connections from the player, then you're using the player's D/A converter. If you're using a digital connection from the player, then you're using the receiver's D/A. If one sounds better than the other, it would mean one converter is better than the other.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Is it true thought that CD music sound is better thru RCA's?
Not usually as the CD is a digital sourse to begin with so in most cases the longer you leave the signal untouched the better.

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
The digital input will take priority but as I said above the analog signal will still be run through the receiver as well to the analog tape outputs.
I think that only applies if both are connected to the same input, right? In only one or the other is connected to an input, it seems to me that there is no "priority" that needs to be made...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
133 Posts
Personally I'd run digital all the way to the receiver. Digital/optical are more impervious to noise and unless you have a high-dollar DVD/CD player than the receiver's DAC's are probably going to be of higher quality anyway.

I know in my HTPC system, the sound is phenomenally improved by using digital to the reciever; the onboard audio's analog outputs have filters that limit the extension and clarity of the signal. Your CD/DVD player may not have those filters, but I would venture a guess that they're not as high-qualtiy as a standalone sound processor (surround receover).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I would think your Denon would do a better job, what player are you using. Some of the older Yamaha's (1990-95) had fantastic DACs.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
As Wayne already said try both and see what sounds better I bet you wont hear any difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts