Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am constructing a single row 3 seats dedicated home theater and I have a few options for the room dimensions that I could choose from. Please suggest the most optimal dimension that I should go with.

1. 26.1' (length) x 19.8' (width) x 14.6' (height)
2. 19.8' (length) x 16' (width) x 14.6' (height)
3. 19.8' (length) x 17' (width) x 14.6' (height)
4. 19.8' (length) x 18' (width) x 14.6' (height)

I will be using JBL M2 speakers for LCR and 708i/705i for surrounds/ceiling.

To save some space, I would like to stick to option #2 if that would work well. If not, I would be glad to explore other options as well. Kindly suggest.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
I’d say go with a dimension that puts the two outer seats as far away from the side walls as possible. Seats close to the wall will get higher levels of bass from the sub than a seat in the center. Getting the side seats further from the wall will help all three seats have similar bass.

Next, avoid putting the seating in the center of the room. The center of the room is a “bass hole,” and perceived bass output increases as you move from there towards any room boundary.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d say go with a dimension that puts the two outer seats as far away from the side walls as possible. Seats close to the wall will get higher levels of bass from the sub than a seat in the center. Getting the side seats further from the wall will help all three seats have similar bass.

Next, avoid putting the seating in the center of the room. The center of the room is a “bass hole,” and perceived bass output increases as you move from there towards any room boundary.

Regards,
Wayne
Very helpful, thank you so much Wayne. I will go with a wider room (@19.8’ width) to keep the seats away from the side walls.

Please let me know if having 4 subwoofers would completely fix the centre seat’s bass hole issue. If I go with 4 seats in a row configuration instead, the seats would get more closer to the side walls though. Please let me know if 4 is still better than 3 seats - even with 4 subs.

thavks again!

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Harmon Industries used to have a white paper on where to place a sub, and having 4 subs was the best recommendation. I ran 2 in my last setup...1 under the center channel, and the other in the center of the rear wall. The Harman recommendation was one on each wall centered on the wall or one in each corner as I recall.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
NICE choice of speakers! I'm setup wide versus long. 4 subs are definitely the optimal way to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've often heard of the "Golden Ratio":
1 : 1.6 : 2.6. eg. 10' x 16' x 26'.
There are other ratios out there, as well. The idea is to avoid dimensions that have common multiples, to avoid reinforcing room modes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts