Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The screen will be stored in the garage when not in use, so I would like it to be light weight for ease of setup/tear-down and need not be weatherproof. I'm leaning toward Sintra, but think it may get heavy if I need to add a frame and is quite expensive. What else should I be considering?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
How about canvas? Just make sure to prime it well first.

Rose Brand sells large size canvas as well as other materials, or you could try a local marine shop for sail material, but that could be pretty expensive... dunno though I never priced that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a sprayer though... I'm assuming rolling (even a tensioned) canvas might prove difficult???

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It can and has been done, but yeah it isn't fun.

You're pretty limited then, either the signage boards or laminate. As I mentioned in another thread, you do not have to use Wilsonart if you are planning on painting, in fact I don't even recommend it because it's a horrendous waste of money and a great screen in and of itself.

How do you plan on hanging the screen for movie night?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All options on the table... previously, I had a doable board on a poplar 1x3 braced frame and used pipe clamps and poles to plant it in PVC I pounded into the ground at the edge of a planting bed. The location for this screen will be similar (~3ft off a fence at the edge of a bed), so I was considering the same... directly on the fence is an option, but would require more plant control. If spraying on tensioned canvas or sail would be significantly lighter, I'd probably buy the sprayer... would still be cheaper than expanded PVC.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up on the lead... that rules out sintra... komatex sounds like the best bet for PVC then... although when you either add a frame to the 3mm, or move up to the 6mm it gets kinda heavy and expensive. Might end up buying a control spray after checking out what fabrics are good for spraying.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you're willing to buy a sprayer and have some extra projects around the house where you'll get use of the sprayer then it's definitely worth it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm... canvas at 120" would be about 3 lbs of material, the thinnest sail material (icarex) would be about 2oz of material :eek: but looks to have a ripstop pattern. soooo... either way, the frame will basically determine how heavy the thing is. Which sprayable fabric will result in the smoothest surface? The ripstop polyester has the 'grid' look, but is coated in polycarbonate... maybe smoother, but is it paintable? Did you have a specific sail material in mind? Splitting hairs on weight, so what I'd really want if I went the sprayed fabric route would be one that is A) smooth and B) not too stretchy, and C) somewhat tear resistant.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Hmmmm... canvas at 120" would be about 3 lbs of material, the thinnest sail material (icarex) would be about 2oz of material :eek: but looks to have a ripstop pattern. soooo... either way, the frame will basically determine how heavy the thing is. Which sprayable fabric will result in the smoothest surface? The ripstop polyester has the 'grid' look, but is coated in polycarbonate... maybe smoother, but is it paintable? Did you have a specific sail material in mind? Splitting hairs on weight, so what I'd really want if I went the sprayed fabric route would be one that is A) smooth and B) not too stretchy, and C) somewhat tear resistant.
Not really... I just know of some people that have used sail material for an outdoor screen. If you want smooth, not too stretchy and somewhat tear resistant and light weight then sail material sounds like it fits the bill. Again though I don't know how expensive it would be.

As far as painting... if you use the right primer you can paint anything! If paint can stick to laminate it sure will stick to canvas or a sail!

One thing about DIY is we always figure out a way to use something for a use it wasn't intended or thought of to be used for! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about a PVC frame? Lightweight, weather resistant, paints well. I had a Wilsonart laminate screen many years ago outside on a pvc frame. Lighter than wood and much more tolerant to the elements if you paint it to protect it from UV. Just a option for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts