Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original GoldenEye Dev Says Remake Motivated by Money

Rare also reveals GoldenEye's rocky development led them to think it would be a "disaster."
By Kris Pigna, 09/03/2010

Activision is remaking the Nintendo 64 classic GoldenEye 007 for the Wii, but one man isn't convinced it's coming from a genuine enthusiasm for the game: original GoldenEye designer Martin Hollis. Speaking to Official Nintendo Magazine, Hollis accused Activision of making the remake primarily for the money. "I imagine it is a business decision isn't it?" Hollis said. "This name is valuable, let's use it. I find it hard to picture Activision's top management being excited about the original and wanting to do it justice. In fact, I find it hard to imagine them being excited about any game. It's my perception that they are trying to be EA, only more so. I think they are doing a fine job at that."

Despite doubts about Activision's motivation, Hollis still offered support for remake developer Eurocom. "I know and like Eurocom. I think they are a good company. I'm confident they have done their very best," Hollis said.

Elsewhere on the Internet, Rare also revealed that for a while, they never expected GoldenEye to become as big as a commodity as it is today in the first place. "When Nintendo asked if we wanted to do it, we said, 'well not really,'" explained Rare studio head Mark Betteridge in the latest issue of Edge (via CVG). "We were trying to build our own IP, and film tie-ins meant a lot of ownership by the film company."

Things got even worse, Betteridge said, when they showed GoldenEye off at E3 for the first time. "We went to E3 at the same time as one of our other games and that was getting loads of attention while GoldenEye just had all these empty stands," he said. "We thought, 'Oh, God, here we go -- this is going to be a disaster. Thank God we've got Banjo.'"

And now, a GoldenEye remake is coming out for the Wii 12 years later. Who would have thought.

Source: 1up

·
Registered
83 Posts
Umm......of course they are doing it for the money. Game companies don't invest large sums of money to make a game just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello dalto

I believe most us of will agree that this is a business and the prime objective is to make money, but many gamers feel that Activison is one of those companies that takes a game and beat it to death some examples of that would be Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk and COD. I'm one who thinks that classic games should be left untouched, if they want to improve upon the graphics fine but other than that it should stay as is, no DLC please.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Ive played a few old titles on XBL, and not a single one has been identical to the original. As an example, a recent XBL remake of R-Type was released on XBL and I couldnt wait to buy it. When I did though, I soon realised the game ran to quickly and some of the little tricks I used to know no longer worked as some of the game mechanics had changed, for whatever reason.

Golden is one of my all time favourite games, I was at the absolute peak of FPS gaming prowess and left the game undefeated in multiplayer by the time it got past it, and I had completely finished everything which took immense effort.

When this is released, if one pixel is out of place, and it will be, I will notice and as this is one of those old faithful titles to me, it will ruin it. Even if the developing team gives it all they can, its still going to be tough to get this right, but with Activision pushing deadlines and maximum profit targets, I can see keeping faithful to the original being less and less paramount as far as Activision is concerned, no matter what the devs want to do.

This wont interest me anyway, because its on the Wii, but I will be surprised if the release isnt a sad day for gamers like me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts