Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need some help to make a decision if i should buy this sub or not.

I'm not sure Which model it is but he said it was the original LFM-1, 12" sub 2 ports, 325 watt amp and weighs 58 pounds. Idk maybe this will help us know which model this is.

the guy i'm gonna buy it from says it was barely used and never punshed and would refund my money no problem if i don't like it.

The Lowest price i could negotiate him down to was $200, plus i'm throwing in an old kenwood 5.1 surround sound receiver i think it was one of those cheap all in one surround sound system receivers, i think i paid like $20 for it .

Right now i have an Onkyo 10" sub but it's not even hooked up at the moment.

I have An Yamaha RX-V750 receiver ($50)
Main L+R speakers are Boston Acousic VR1 towers
Center speaker is a Boston Acoustic VRC . ($30 for all 3)

I'm no expert in quality equipment but for under $100 i don't think you can get a better sounding system then what i have right now because it sounds pretty good to me.

Sorry , back to the sub, Should i spend $200 on this sub or am i blowing my money?

please i could use any advice. i don't want to waste my money

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Did he happen to mention when he bought it? Outlaw has been selling subs for a while, so if it's 6-8 years old it was probably only $350-$400 new. In which case $200 doesn't sound like a very good deal to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really confused now... i was under the impression i was getting a pretty good deal on a respectable sub.

Idk when he bought, lets say he bought it when it first came out it would be about 10 years old if i'm not mistaking.. the speaker should still be good if it wasn't abused right? I bought a pair of Polk Audio Monitors that where 20 years old and i was hesitant about buying them until the guy played them for me and i couldn't pull the money out my pocket fast enough.

idk maybe the age of the speaker does matter, that's why i'm here asking for advice if i should buy this sub for $200 or not. The price he paid for the speaker really dosn't matter whether he paid $600 or $1.. If he bought it when it was on sale or being discontinued for a few hunderd or whatever that's better right because that means the speaker is newer as opposed to when it forst came out.

Idk.. i have a decision to make by tomorrow.. The speaker looks in tip top conditon, i believe him that it wasn't abused. He said he'd refung my Money if i wasn't pleased with it.

I would appreciate some more input please ... My system so far the receiver and speakers i have only because i got them for a good price not because i wanted them specificly.

Is $200 a good deal?

Can you even get a sub to come close to the OutLaw for $200?

BUy it... yes or no?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I used to own the Outlaw LFM Plus (12"). I paid close to $500 about 4 years back. I am not familiar with the LFM, but I am saying that the Dayton Sub1200 is $150 new and I bet for a mere additional $50 more for that Outlaw it would be a better performer than the Dayton ;) .

I am sure that the LFM is about 2-3db less than the Plus, but for $200 it say give it a shot. Also you mentioned that the seller is willing to give you back your money if your not happy with it. So why not try and see? Good luck

·
Registered
361 Posts
You used to be apart of these forums under a different name. You would make multiple posts about needing help getting over your problems with buying used equipment:

Don't know why you made a new account, but I wonder?

Buy the sub. If you don't like it send it back.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
You asked a question.
The people interested answered.
If it's 10 years old $200 + the trade stuff is a premium price (even though the trade stuff is junk).
If it still works and looks perfect it's probably the best $200 sub you can buy.
Apparently you buy/sell/trade audio gear....you know it's never a sure thing...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If somebody local was selling it, I'd buy it for $200 and an old receiver.
Whatever model it is, it'll put that Onkyo out to pasture and you won't find any new sub for $200 that will compete.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Does anyone think i should not buy this sub?
I'm still not convinced it's a good deal. A $400-$500 sub that's 10 years old should be around $100, not $200. In its day that unit may very well have been worth every penny of the MSRP, but a decade later it's only depreciated by around 50%? That doesn't sound realistic to me. 75% seems more likely.

Idk when he bought, lets say he bought it when it first came out it would be about 10 years old if i'm not mistaking.. the speaker should still be good if it wasn't abused right? I bought a pair of Polk Audio Monitors that where 20 years old and i was hesitant about buying them until the guy played them for me and i couldn't pull the money out my pocket fast enough.
A subwoofer is subject to more stress than a set of speakers, so you can't really compare the life expectancy of the two. The driver in a sub moves quite a bit, and with greater authority, meaning the spider and surround are being pushed more. In addition you have the heat from the amp constantly soaking the magnet and driver cone, both of which contribute to a faster rate of degradation. Combine the movement with the heat and most subwoofers - regardless of cost - are getting toward the end of their usable life after 10 years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There's a saying in the watch collecting community, "Buy the seller, not the watch." Your choice depends upon the credibility of the seller. If you have to keep asking if anyone wants to discourage you, I think you may have your answer.

It probably doesn't compare with this used sub, but the NXG BAS-500 is < $300 on Amazon. Several people recommended that to me, and a couple of reviews indicated it was a much better sub than the price (higher than the current price) indicated. I almost ordered one myself.[1] AND ... a new sub will have a warranty, etc.

[1] I spent double, and got what is possibly the only sub I'll never need.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Jayson1234567, it seems to me the majority feels like there is better value to be had elsewhere. I think most would rather see you save until you can purchase the piece you really are after, as opposed to buying one because it happens to be there. "Just cause something is cheap doesn't mean it's a good deal". I'll go with Jim here and say its value would be closer to 100 bucks, than 200, but I wouldn't pay more than 75 bucks. I say pass.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Man you guys area tuff crowd to please. lol!!

So looking at the Outlaw LFM-1 the reviews seem to be coming out at around the year 2004.
Not know when or how long the owner that is selling owned it, I would say 11 years max (if bought in 2004). However judging buy the stats:

● Driver: One 12" Long-throw Woofer
● Amplifier Power: 325 Watts RMS; 1300W peak
● Frequency Response: 25 Hz - 180 Hz ± 2 dB
● Dimensions: 21.75" H x 15.0" W x 22.0" D
● Weight: 58 Pounds
● MSRP: $579 (2 for $999)

The Bash amp if properly working properly that amp alone could sell for $100. So if the sub voice coil is properly working, I think @ $200 is a fair price and if you can get it down lower (its worth a shot) I think it would still be a stellar deal.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
There were not very many respondents to the thread and it was 3 to 2 in favor among the people that actually answered the question.
Proposing alternatives at 50% higher price is a throwaway post.

I think it's the undetermined age of the sub that throws a monkey wrench in the deal.
A ten year old subwoofer (any brand) is reason enough to be cautious.
Actually a used sub (any brand) from a random source is reason enough to be cautious but I am admittedly not a used gear kinda guy.

In fairly typical fashion for infrequent/new members a question is asked (in this case the OP was not satisfied with the answers but answers were given) and then no reply as to whether it was bought or passed on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yes i did make a new name because it was a long time since i came to the forum and i forgot my password so it was easier for me to just make a new account.
Just BTW, if you remember the e-mail address you registered with, use the "lost password" method to reset it and log in again. Creating a new account every time you visit (infrequently) is sometimes suspect, even if your intentions are good. I'm not criticizing, but I can see how some will suspect someone creating multiple accounts.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/login.php?do=lostpw

... Proposing alternatives at 50% higher price is a throwaway post....
No, not really. User X says, "I'm entertaining the idea of a used [thing] for X dollars from a stranger, out of warranty, no idea how well it's been cared for, should I consider it? is it a great deal?" User Y says, "Well for X dollars plus Y dollars more, you can get [this thing] which is well respected and reviewed, has full warranty coverage in case it fails on you, is it worth saving the money or spending a bit more for a more reliable purchase?" That's not a throwaway post IMHO.

Unless User X states, "I'm shopping for a [thing] and I don't want to spend more than X dollars."

You yourself admit to not being a used gear kinda guy (me, too), so I presume you appreciate the VFM proposition of a NEW product versus one used for some unknown period of time, and some unknown level of care or abuse.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.