Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To cut to the chase, I've been attempting to set up my new sub this week. Read all the great guides on REW and house curves, would just like some advice. Here are my graphs:

Text Line Plot Purple Diagram

I took three measurements at the commonly used seats and used the averages. One seat has a massive drop at 35Hz but there is nothing I can do about it, tried various placements in room, pretty limited. Room is roughly 15x15. So, graph shows the avg. of the 3 measurements pre/post eq. REW used two filters. I used Ayreonaut's house curve, as shown below:

20 10
22 9
25 8
28 7
31.5 6
36 5
40 4
45 3
50 2
56 1
63 0

I feel like I should be doing something different with the house curve but I've managed to confuse myself...So, looking for guidance, am I missing something, does it look good, etc. Should I do doing something like Ayreonauts's step 3: "Set a deep, wide filter at 1.00 kHz to adjust the response level around the crossover."? I'm not sure how to do that.

Thank you for your help! I'm hoping to get this dialed in so I can run Audyssey MultiEQ XT (everything is direct for these tests).

Thank you for this amazing software!

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the bump and comments...I ran Audyssey using the two filters and it sounds pretty good, it really made the low end much fuller. I'll post graphs once the house is quite, two young kids prevents a lot of quiet measurements from happening. :) If I sit right next to the sub I get a wonderful hit in the chest, which is completely absent in the middle of the room, but I suspect that's due to room issues, not sure what to do about this, but open to suggestions!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I sit right next to the sub I get a wonderful hit in the chest, which is completely absent in the middle of the room, but I suspect that's due to room issues, not sure what to do about this, but open to suggestions!
The middle of any room is one of the worst LP's acoustically. Not much can be done about that (except don't sit there).

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

If I sit right next to the sub I get a wonderful hit in the chest, which is completely absent in the middle of the room, but I suspect that's due to room issues, not sure what to do about this, but open to suggestions!
It’s a proximity and capacity issue. Naturally, you can get a kick in the chest with the sub close to you. If you want that “kick” anywhere in the room, it’s going to require more subs.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen one of these, but we used to get questions on the HT Forums from people who wanted the same bass-pounding in their home theater that they had with their car stereo. I used to tell them,” Well, you had four 15” subs blasting into what, a 30-cubic ft. space? If you want that same effect in your house, it’ll take the same driver-per-cubic-ft. ratio, not to mention amplifier power.”

As they say in the automotive racing business, there’s no substitute for cubic inches. :D

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.