Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post on another forum and someone had an issue with an AV receiver not outputting hdmi signal to the tv after their DirecTV service (the box) received an update. While everyone that had posted things to check, and most were good things to check, nobody had recommended for this person to do the most basic thing. Replace the HDMI cord. In my humble opinion this should have been step 1. With recent changes to Hdmi and HDCP, the first thing we need to check when troubleshooting picture issues is the Hdmi cord, most especially when you're troubleshooting a system that you did not set up. Many times it can be attributed to the cable and satellite companies and the "freeby" hdmi cords they hand out with their equipment. You would think that these companies would be in-the-know about things like this, since they are technically media distributioners, but av equipment is not their forte. Don't overlook the seemingly obvious. Always check your connections and cables.

Ian Conklin
Conklin Home Theater

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Great advice. We always make assumptions when troubleshooting. Learning to check all the obvious stuff is one of the hard lessons to learn. I have heard the advice many times..."when you hear hoofbeats, don't go looking for zebras."

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
If the update was a firmware push and the hardware was not moved, I really do not see logic pointing towards the HDMI cable as a likely suspect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts