Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5'x10' sheet of Sintra trying to decide weather to build a 2.35 or 16:9 screen ??

Do some just build a simple frame around the WHOLE sheet 5'x10' to get the best of both worlds ??

Using the 10' length for 2.35 material , and then using the 5' height for the biggest 16:9 , ???

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 5'x10' sheet of Sintra trying to decide weather to build a 2.35 or 16:9 screen ??

Do some just build a simple frame around the WHOLE sheet 5'x10' to get the best of both worlds ??

Using the 10' length for 2.35 material , and then using the 5' height for the biggest 16:9 , ???
Some people do that. The only real issue is that then you probably need two sets of masking panels and always have to be masking something.

I think ideally you would settle on your perfect height for 16:9 and use that height for both 16:9 and 2.35. But of course it may not be possible in your room and with your projector.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people do that. The only real issue is that then you probably need two sets of masking panels and always have to be masking something.

I think ideally you would settle on your perfect height for 16:9 and use that height for both 16:9 and 2.35. But of course it may not be possible in your room and with your projector.
For 16:9 i would use the full 5' height
In a dark room , with my light grey screen, i really wonder if i need the masks ?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
In a dark room , with my light grey screen, i really wonder if i need the masks ?
This would be determined by the image contrast you are getting from the PJ and your own personal taste. Some people say you absolutely need a screen border and others say they are not needed at all - pretty much the same thing with masks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This would be determined by the image contrast you are getting from the PJ and your own personal taste. Some people say you absolutely need a screen border and others say they are not needed at all - pretty much the same thing with masks.
Thanks Harpmaker.!

Really hard making sacfafices with one or the other ?

...While your here,What is the deal with most movies these days , is it 2.35 or 2.39 for screen ratio's ? , before I actually build it?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thanks Harpmaker.!

Really hard making sacfafices with one or the other ?

...While your here,What is the deal with most movies these days , is it 2.35 or 2.39 for screen ratio's ? , before I actually build it?
Many, if not most, movies coming out now are in 2:39:1 format, but if you like older movies most of those are in different aspect ratios; and then you have the 16:9 HDTV and the old 4:3 ratios for television shows. I guess you should make your screen the aspect ratio of the format you watch the most of, or to the native aspect ratio of the PJ. There is no simple answer to this.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many, if not most, movies coming out now are in 2:39:1 format, but if you like older movies most of those are in different aspect ratios; and then you have the 16:9 HDTV and the old 4:3 ratios for television shows. I guess you should make your screen the aspect ratio of the format you watch the most of, or to the native aspect ratio of the PJ. There is no simple answer to this.
I will be watching mostly new releases , so i guess iif I build a widescope screen it will be a 2.39 ratio screen.
I will test my Oversized screen with different ratios without masking ??

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends if you want to see the black bars or not. Unless you have a JVC, and probably even then, you will see them.

5' is a very tall screen. Maybe you should try going for a 51" image height and sit a bit closer and see if that works for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts