Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

P50S601 blue power light flashing 3 times

84170 Views 108 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  lcaillo
I think its the Y sub board. or am I wrong? I found into online that says when this happens it's the Y board.

powr light flashes 2 times and then pauses then flashes 3 times over and over again. only flashes twice once then after that it's the 3 flashes over and over again. when i unplug it and plug it back in standby comes on. then i hit power the screen comes on for a few secs then it goes off and the power light starts flashing.

I was reading on a web page that when it flashes twice then its the x board and if it flashes three times it's the y board.

only found that info on one page. i want to make sure it's right before i order the part.

other web pages ware saying the x board. so i want to make sure that 3 lights means the y board. or do i go by the first set of two flashes?

See less See more
61 - 80 of 109 Posts
Those ones on ebay I think are from an over seas seller. It will take a long time to get them. and they maybe counterfits. You can get caps cheaper from reputable distributors like digikey.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P6809-ND

Check to make sure these are the right ones check the lead spacing and all

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll

Do a search for 3300uF 100V and make sure they are 105c caps.

It would be a good idea to start your own topic and take a photo of what video you get and also take a photo of your caps above and sideways shot so i can see if they are slightly puffy on top. They will bow out just a little.
It is unlikely that boards are counterfeit. More likely rebuilds or pulls from scrap units that are uncertain in quality. There are also lots of bad boards that get back into distribution from servicers and individuals that return them as "unused" when they are actually bad boards. Distributors are having a very hard time sorting out what is a bad board from a good unused one on returns, particularly from warranty jobs done using "kits" of several boards for extended warranty companies.
It is unlikely that boards are counterfeit. More likely rebuilds or pulls from scrap units that are uncertain in quality. There are also lots of bad boards that get back into distribution from servicers and individuals that return them as "unused" when they are actually bad boards. Distributors are having a very hard time sorting out what is a bad board from a good unused one on returns, particularly from warranty jobs done using "kits" of several boards for extended warranty companies.
I was meaning the caps from over seas ebay sellers. Not the boards. I was telling him to try Digikey.
Most caps are from overseas.

I prefer the panasonic caps from digikey. Never had a single one that tested bad. I test most before installing them and can't say that about any other supplier.

They are cheap enough from digikey that is simply does not make sense, IMO, to use cheaper parts from other vendors.
Jason and lcaillo, thank you both for pointing me in the right direction! The digikey choices are a bit overwhelming. I had no idea capacitors have so many different properties like lead spacing, mounting type, etc. Fortunately I found a person who's good at soldering and can help me install them.

I will try to take a photo tomorrow day time when the light is better, and post it.
OK here are my pictures.

A chip on the SDR-U board. The left one has this marking on it. I guess it means it got burned.

Three photos of the two capcacitors on the top right corner of the power board from different directions. They don't look puffy to my untrained eyes.

Here's the TV turned on with SDR-U board removed, with a cable channel showing a Jerry Springer show. Only bars on the lower half of the TV. Sound is good though.

So is this TV worth saving?
See less See more
They look a little puffy on top and the one looks like it may of leaked a little. Check all the connections on your logic board that you replaced and also check all the connections for all the ribbion cables. If the tv repair shop you took it to had them off maybe they are not getting a good connection. Yeah one of your sdr u chips is burnt. Its clear as day when you see a burnt chip like that. Also the lines maybe from poor power.

I found someone who has a buffer repair kit on ebay for these tv's but I dont think you would have the soldering skills to do it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitachi-Buffer-...647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb55b6a17

and here is the upper buffer board

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Hitachi-JP6...050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6363fcd2

There was a guy offering a buffer repair on ebay but for some reason all of his ebay listings have been removed. his phone number is 773-641-1311. You could try to contact him to see if he is still offering the repair.
See less See more
Yeah one of your sdr u chips is burnt. Its clear as day when you see a burnt chip like that.
Hmm, indeed, that's what's odd about it. How can the TV repair man not see the the burned chip? Why did he say it's the logic board? :sneeky: He didn't look too happy when he returned my TV when I didn't want to repair it. I wonder if he was angry and didn't tell me the truth. Maybe he even did something to the TV so no one will be able fix it? Well, maybe not, I did pay him 95 dollars to take a look.

So are you saying the lower half of the TV should not look like that if everything else is OK and only the SDR-U board is taken out? If that's the case, I need to find out what else's wrong with it before attempting to replace the capacitors.
Hmm, indeed, that's what's odd about it. How can the TV repair man not see the the burned chip? Why did he say it's the logic board? :sneeky: He didn't look too happy when he returned my TV when I didn't want to repair it. I wonder if he was angry and didn't tell me the truth. Maybe he even did something to the TV so no one will be able fix it? Well, maybe not, I did pay him 95 dollars to take a look.

So are you saying the lower half of the TV should not look like that if everything else is OK and only the SDR-U board is taken out? If that's the case, I need to find out what else's wrong with it before attempting to replace the capacitors.
I can not answer that question. I am not the repair man that looked at it. It could be caused by many things. the bottom half of my screen looked normal on my p50h401 when i removed the top sdr board. you should check all of the connections inside the tv to make sure they are all hooked up when he was looking at it he may of left something unplugged or maybe he has a cable plugged in not tight enough. Check every connection inside the tv. unplug them and make sure they are plugged in nice and tight. also your friend that is good at soldering maybe they could help you try to find the issue. I know a bad connection from the pannel to the sdr board can make lines go from side to side. It also looks like you have lines going up and down too.

Attachments

See less See more
the bottom half of my screen looked normal on my p50h401 when i removed the top sdr board.
Ah, this is exactly what I wanted to know! I will play with the cables tonight and see if I can get a good half picture. If not, then I guess there is no point trying to repair the top half.
Ah, this is exactly what I wanted to know! I will play with the cables tonight and see if I can get a good half picture. If not, then I guess there is no point trying to repair the top half.
The thing is I am not sure how bad those caps are in your power supply they also could be making the lines in the video.
The thing is I am not sure how bad those caps are in your power supply they also could be making the lines in the video.
I tried to reseat the flat cables on the lower SDR board. Took out one, and put in back in. Turned on the TV. The lower part of the TV looked the same, but the upper side showed lines too. Then I heard a pop noise on the back of the TV. No idea what it was.

I turned off the TV, tried to reseat the second flat cable on the lower SDR board. Tried to the the TV on, but now it's blinking the same 4 blink pattern. I looked at the lower SDR board, and saw new burn marks on a chip I think wasn't there before. :crying:

I guess with the lower SDR damaged now too, no matter what's wrong with the TV, it's no longer economical to fix it, with a new 50 inch 720p plasma only costs $600 nowadays. I probably should have replaced the capacitors before doing anything else.

Well, I'm looking forward to an upgrade! With Memorial Day and Independence Day coming, I'm sure there will be good deals for a 55 inch LCD TV. This time, I'll be sure to get an extended warranty!

I really appreciate your help, Jason and Lcaillo! :wave: Though I wasn't able to fix the TV, the lessons I learned today may turn out to be useful someday.
See less See more
I tried to reseat the flat cables on the lower SDR board. Took out one, and put in back in. Turned on the TV. The lower part of the TV looked the same, but the upper side showed lines too. Then I heard a pop noise on the back of the TV. No idea what it was.

I turned off the TV, tried to reseat the second flat cable on the lower SDR board. Tried to the the TV on, but now it's blinking the same 4 blink pattern. I looked at the lower SDR board, and saw new burn marks on a chip I think wasn't there before. :crying:

I guess with the lower SDR damaged now too, no matter what's wrong with the TV, it's no longer economical to fix it, with a new 50 inch 720p plasma only costs $600 nowadays. I probably should have replaced the capacitors before doing anything else.

Well, I'm looking forward to an upgrade! With Memorial Day and Independence Day coming, I'm sure there will be good deals for a 55 inch LCD TV. This time, I'll be sure to get an extended warranty!

I really appreciate your help, Jason and Lcaillo! :wave: Though I wasn't able to fix the TV, the lessons I learned today may turn out to be useful someday.
Thats why I was saying to replace the caps first. The one in your photo looked like it was leaking. The only way it would be cheap to repair is if that guy is still offering to repair sdr boards. You would have to contact him and see if he still is doing it. If not then it would cost to much.
Thats why I was saying to replace the caps first. The one in your photo looked like it was leaking. The only way it would be cheap to repair is if that guy is still offering to repair sdr boards. You would have to contact him and see if he still is doing it. If not then it would cost to much.
:doh: Yes, you are right of course. I'm too inexperienced and messed up. Now it's too late. I'm seeing markings on 4 chips on the lower SDR. It probably has to be replaced with a new one.

But if the problem of bars on the lower screen was caused by something else, even after I spend money and time to replace the capacitors and repair the SDR boards, I might still end up with a bad picture. So I guess it's not worthwhile to spend any more energy on this TV.
:doh: Yes, you are right of course. I'm too inexperienced and messed up. Now it's too late. I'm seeing markings on 4 chips on the lower SDR. It probably has to be replaced with a new one.

But if the problem of bars on the lower screen was caused by something else, even after I spend money and time to replace the capacitors and repair the SDR boards, I might still end up with a bad picture. So I guess it's not worthwhile to spend any more energy on this TV.
Put it back together and sell it on craigslist for parts or repair. Someone may have a use for it or need some of the parts that are still good.

check walmart out if you want a 50" plasma they have some cheap prices. I think its like 519 for a 50" but since its a brand i never heard of I think a squaretrade warranty maybe a good idea.

Were are you from? If I may ask?
Were are you from? If I may ask?
Well, I'm from China originally, but that was a very long time ago.
Well, I'm from China originally, but that was a very long time ago.
lol I was meaning were do you live now.

I see one of these tv's on pittsburgh pa craigslist for 150 dollars or best offer and it needs a sdr board but they have a normal video when they remove the one sdr board so its going to need the caps repaced and at least one sdr board. It's a p50s601. My p50h401 I bought for 50 dollars on craigslist. I made an offer and the people didnt reply back to me so I waited another week and asked if they still have the tv and they took my 50 dollar offer. I guess they got tired of it sitting around, or the misses was like get this out of my house. A tv of this size takes up a lot of room.

If I wasnt like a 3 and a half hour drive from pittsburgh. I would make an 50 dollar offer on the p50s601. It's just to long of a drive.
lol I was meaning were do you live now.

I see one of these tv's on pittsburgh pa craigslist for 150 dollars or best offer and it needs a sdr board but they have a normal video when they remove the one sdr board so its going to need the caps repaced and at least one sdr board. It's a p50s601. My p50h401 I bought for 50 dollars on craigslist. I made an offer and the people didnt reply back to me so I waited another week and asked if they still have the tv and they took my 50 dollar offer. I guess they got tired of it sitting around, or the misses was like get this out of my house. A tv of this size takes up a lot of room.

If I wasnt like a 3 and a half hour drive from pittsburgh. I would make an 50 dollar offer on the p50s601. It's just to long of a drive.
Oh, I live in South Carolina. You know, maybe I will encounter someone who wants to sell their P50H401 with a broken screen or something, or more likely someone will sell used functioning SDR boards on eBay...
Oh, I live in South Carolina. You know, maybe I will encounter someone who wants to sell their P50H401 with a broken screen or something, or more likely someone will sell used functioning SDR boards on eBay...
keep an eye on craigslist. I see them show up in my area from time to time. Also you could use a p50s601 they use the same boards same power supply same y sus and x or z sus. Most ones I have found have the same flashing LED. I think the tuner/input board is the only thing that isnt the same. The p50s601 also has an output for a swival stand. I think thats the only differance. I have both of them here and was looking at them both. Same part numbers on most of the parts.

I did find one but It looks to be a working one. By the photo it looks like a p50s601 or a p50h401 but I could be wrong. http://athensga.craigslist.org/ele/2402230912.html They are asking 350 I know i would offer a lot less since new ones are only 519 dollars with a 1 year warranty.
keep an eye on craigslist. I see them show up in my area from time to time. Also you could use a p50s601 they use the same boards same power supply same y sus and x or z sus. Most ones I have found have the same flashing LED. I think the tuner/input board is the only thing that isnt the same. The p50s601 also has an output for a swival stand. I think thats the only differance. I have both of them here and was looking at them both. Same part numbers on most of the parts.

I did find one but It looks to be a working one. By the photo it looks like a p50s601 or a p50h401 but I could be wrong. http://athensga.craigslist.org/ele/2402230912.html They are asking 350 I know i would offer a lot less since new ones are only 519 dollars with a 1 year warranty.
Thanks for the advice! I didn't plan to repair my TV if it was going to cost more than $300. Just not worth it for a 3.5 year old TV. I should have sold it to you! :bigsmile:
61 - 80 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.