Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of packing up some stuff to prepare for a move. I'm having a hard time packing up a couple drivers, one being a Mal-X 18. I've emailed DIYCable to see if they have any options -- since I know that Kevin is going to be shipping some bigger drivers again.

Anyone ever go through the frustration of finding a GOOD solid box to pack up a driver? I'm contemplating getting some double wall cardboard and building one. I have TONS of boxes but they're either too big, too small, or can't handle the weight.

I have a pretty good assortment of boxes, but the heavy weight is kind of a challenge.

I know some people have resorted to crating drivers before...

·
Registered
887 Posts
My Ficar 18's were smartly packed. They had a piece of 1/4" plywood hot glued to the bottom of the box that spanned the width. This prevents the driver from busting through on the motor side. They then wraped the motor in foam and cardboard below and on the sides. The mounting flange was wedged into place with foam on four sides of the box. Foam was hot glued in place to the box preventing lateral movement. Then they hot glued another piece of foam on four sides above the mounting flange to prevent axial movement. The top and bottom of the box used overlapping layers of cardboard that made it 2x thick.

Seemed to work pretty good. All four of my drivers made it safe and sound despite one of the boxes being a little worse for the wear.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Just depends who is handling the subwoofer. If UPS then I would mount the driver to a mdf sheet. Then use big bubble wrap around the basket and magnet. Then a nice double walled cardboard box.

If its you handling it then a simple thick cardboard box with big bubble wrap around the drive should be fine.

So happy Kevin is back in business.

·
Registered
53 Posts
get a bigger box than you need. make a wood piece for the bottom so the magnet doesnt blow out box. get two or three heavy trash bags and put the driver in it. set in box and fill with spray foam. cut the foam so the lid closes and tape it up. you can also make a baffle to mount the flange to and some stand offs incase it gets flipped over. i shipped a large car audio driver and an atv motor this way, only complaint is using one bag because it's hard to open.

pic i found of what i mean.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/CIMG2542.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts