Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

pain(t) and gain

Tags
gain paint
2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Yiannis1970 
#1 ·
Changed projector and it looks I need to paint again.

Screen size is about 130"/ 2,35:1 and I have around 1000 lumens to work with.

Last time as the base I used Dulux paint in vinyl matt finish:

Dulux pain was "Ebony mists 5" / "Night Jewls 5" or in universal language, 00NN 62/000 / [N8.3]

I remember reading that Dulux 00NN 53/000 with AAA-F is closest to old BW formulation regarding gain (0.89) and that Dulux 00NN 83/000 without AAA-F is similar (0.85) while Dulux 00NN 53/000 without AAA-F is around 0.50 regarding gain.

I don't remember stumbling on gain value of Dulux 00NN 72/000 and 00NN 83/000 with AAA-F?

So what should I use/mix for that screen size / I have control over light in a room.

#3 ·
Thanks you Yiannis for doing that calculation.

Regarding lumen output...as the projector is new there is no sense to measure / calibrate it?
I though it would be best to wait 80 or 100 hours , am I wrong?

So judging by the numbers on the web ...real number should be around 1000 lumens.

Anyway, If I use use Dulux 00NN 72/000 [N8.8] or 00NN 83/000 [N9.3] as a base...
Mixing it with AAA-F in 4:1 ratio that would result in what gain value?

btw , Dulux is a bit thick and I was getting some texture last time so should I dilute it with 10% water?

#4 ·
No you are not wrong!! The bulb needs the first 50-80 hours to get a uniform performance and being stabilized. So, after 50-80 hours you can calibrate the projector safely.

Never used Dulux paints, so can't answer on water adding. (i believe the company provides proper instruction about the mix with water).

As for AAA, the new formula does not variate so much the RGB numbers of the base paint. Your gain should be around 0.8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.