Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about painting one wall of a room in Cream&Sugar, Scorpio, or Black Widow. The room has two other colors (a greenish yellow and dark green) and I need to see how these grays will look with the walls.

Where can I get paint chips that match these colors? Ideally I could just go to Lowes, Home Depot or another paint store and pick up standard color chips that are very close to N7, N8 and N9 grays of these colors. It doesn't have to be exact, but the closer the better. I want to get an idea what these look like before buying the materials to mix them, and I don't think a picture on my computer is sufficient.

This is a room that will always have ambient light during the day. I don't have a projector yet but I figure I'll get one that that can handle the ambient light. Right now I'm borrowing a friend's HC5500 and projecting it on the greenish yellow wall; it looks surprisingly good at night, but not so good during the day). The main decision on which of the paints I decide to use will be which one (if any) matches best. I realize the image probably won't look as good as it could, but tradeoffs have to be made.

Painting only a portion of the wall or making a screen and painting that isn't an option, it needs to look like a normal room without a screen. With the whole wall painted, I can project anywhere on it. The other option is a manual screen that I install upside down. I can hide the main part of the screen behind furniture and pull it up when needed.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom!

If I recall correctly, you might be able to go to Home Depot (or other Glidden paint dealer) and get samples of Glidden 'Snowfield'. 'Universal Gray' and 'Veil'. I think these grays are fairly neutral and about N9 (close to C&S), N8.3 (close to Scorpion) and N7.5 (close to BW) respectively. I don't believe Behr or Valspar has neutral equivalents. The problem you might have is that, at least in my area, the Home Depot stores are pushing new Glidden colors and the only examples they have of the above colors is in their "fandeck" that they won't let you take home.

What brands of paints do you have access to? I'll be happy to search through some tint databases and try to find close matches in other brands of paint if I know what brands to search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Don. I'll check for the Glidden paints. The paint stores that I have around here are: Lowes, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, Kelly-Moore and Benjamin Moore. I know Lowes and Home Depot have Olympic, Valspar and Behr, but I don't recall offhand what other brands they carry.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Lowe's might have other brands, but they promote Valspar and Olympic the most. Home Depot might have others, but promotes Behr and Glidden.

In BENJAMIN MOORE COLOR PREVIEW, I found the following that might do as well; but they aren't as neutral as the Glidden colors I gave before.

N9 (RGB=230, 230, 230)
2124-60 MISTY GRAY
Delta E* = 1.01
RGB = 229.80 231.93 231.08

N8 (RGB= 202, 202, 202)
2134-60 WHITESTONE
Delta E* = 1.30
RGB = 201.07 204.28 204.23

N7.5 (RGB = 185, 185, 185)
2124-40 THUNDERCLOUD GRAY
Delta E* = 2.28
RGB = 184.06 188.69 191.21

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much Don. The Benjamin Moore store isn't open on weekends so I'll check out these (and the Glidden ones) during the week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took awhile but I finally got samples. Home Depot had Glidden, but no samples of the ones suggested. I did get samples for Benjamin Moore. I've attached a picture of the samples. I adjusted the brightness / white balance on my monitor, but I'm sure it looks different on other monitors. For reference, the paint chips are on top of white printer paper.

The grays aren't as dark as I expected from looking at posts here, but it's really hard to tell. My wife says the Thundercloud Gray would match, so can someone look it over and see if it looks close to the Black Widow color?

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Yeah, Glidden has new colors they are promoting. The older colors like "veil" and "universal gray" are still in the Glidden fanbook and available to have mixed, but no samples are available to take home, at least not at the two Home Depot stores in my area.

The Ben Moore colors would equate about like this:
'THUNDERCLOUD GRAY' is close to Black Widow.
'WHITESTONE' is close to Scorpion N8.
'MISTY GRAY' is close to Cream&Sugar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts