Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my father really wants to get into world of projectors and so I am tasked with picking out a projector/screen combo and setting up the room for him. I currently have my own setup which i really like, except I used Rsmaxxmudd in my particular setup and found it to be expensive and a pain in the to mix and get right (which i never did might i add). For my father's setup, I want an easy DIY paint solution, not something that reqquires mixing a bunch of different paints.

This is still in the beginning stages so I don't even know how big of a screen we would want, but my guess would be anywhere from 100-130". Screen will be painted directly onto drywall and ill probably paint a black boarder for improved perceived contrast Projector will be mounted roughly 15 feet away.The room has very little light control and is painted an off-white. Projector will be mostly played on at night with movies and video games. Paint will be rolled on. Also, I have home depot, lowes, and a Michaels nearby.

My question:

What is an easy paint solution to combat the ambient light of the room?

So far I have looked at Glidden Snowfield, and possibly black widow.

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
A 120" screen with that projector and a N8 paint will give you roughly 16fL. I believe Don recommends Glidden Veil for N8 nowadays. Either that or Universal Gray which is just a tad bit lighter. I'd get it at Home Depot in a matte finish. Make sure it's Glidden though and not Behr. Roll it on with the best quality, low nap roller you can get. :T

Sorry you had to use one of the silly mixes from avs for your screen. :eek:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Actually, using data from the review at projectorcentral, the 8200 is shooting ~26 fc with a 15' mounting distance and a 120" screen. Using Glidden 'Veil' (~N7.5) you are getting ~20 fL of image brightness. I want to add that this is with a new lamp and the PJ in Eco lamp and Dark Room modes. The rule-of-thumb is that the lamp will dim ~50% over it's expected life (mostly in the first half) so that would leave you with ~10 fL which is bright enough for some folks, but not others. That would be no problem though because there are brighter modes available or you could start using Normal lamp mode. The Viewsonic Pro8200 is a PJ that needs to be calibrated out of the box so getting a calibration DVD would be most beneficial.

As always, the less ambient light there is in the room during viewing the better the projected image will look.

Glidden Premium interior latex flat finish tinted to Glidden 'Veil'. :T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, using data from the review at projectorcentral, the 8200 is shooting ~26 fc with a 15' mounting distance and a 120" screen. Using Glidden 'Veil' (~N7.5) you are getting ~20 fL of image brightness. I want to add that this is with a new lamp and the PJ in Eco lamp and Dark Room modes. The rule-of-thumb is that the lamp will dim ~50% over it's expected life (mostly in the first half) so that would leave you with ~10 fL which is bright enough for some folks, but not others. That would be no problem though because there are brighter modes available or you could start using Normal lamp mode. The Viewsonic Pro8200 is a PJ that needs to be calibrated out of the box so getting a calibration DVD would be most beneficial.

As always, the less ambient light there is in the room during viewing the better the projected image will look.

Glidden Premium interior latex flat finish tinted to Glidden 'Veil'. :T
So glidden veil tint, but do I get in matte or flat?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
So glidden veil tint, but do I get in matte or flat?
The Glidden Premium from Home Depot comes in flat, but for all intents and purposes flat and matte are the same.

I guess the confusion comes from recommending two different Glidden paints on the forum. The one above is available from Home Depot for just under $10 a quart, the other paint, Glidden Diamond 450, is a paint only available from Glidden Professional stores and is much more expensive; this paint is the one that comes in a finish called "velvet matte".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Glidden Premium from Home Depot comes in flat, but for all intents and purposes flat and matte are the same.

I guess the confusion comes from recommending two different Glidden paints on the forum. The one above is available from Home Depot for just under $10 a quart, the other paint, Glidden Diamond 450, is a paint only available from Glidden Professional stores and is much more expensive; this paint is the one that comes in a finish called "velvet matte".
That makes more sense, I'll just get the home depot version. So all I have to ask is for "Glidden Veil" and the home depot staff should know what I'm talking about ?

Thanks by the way for the help.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
That makes more sense, I'll just get the home depot version. So all I have to ask is for "Glidden Veil" and the home depot staff should know what I'm talking about ?

Thanks by the way for the help.
You have to tell them what paint and what finish you want as well. Use the Glidden Premium paint and NOT the new Glidden Duo paint that is supposed to be paint and primer in one. Specify FLAT FINISH. The paint color is 'Veil' and it is in the Glidden Master Palette database in their color program. I just had a quart made up several days ago with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts