Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot over the last week. Glad I found the resources here as I was about to pull the trigger on the silver fire. I'm still a bit confused though & need some guidance on my extreme situation. This is a living room install, seating distance will be 12'. 16:9.

Max diagonal due to built-in component rack is 92". I'm also thinking of running with two screen sizes to help with the ambient. A "tv" size at 65" diag and then movie nights at 92" placing the projector close but positioned to throw both using zoom.

Projector is Mitsubishi hc6800 which will eventually be ceiling mounted. According to the calculator it looks like it'll be somewhere around 10' throw distance to achieve my dual sized diag of 92/65.

Unfortunately, my LR has a TON of windows on 3 walls. Even more unfortunately (for this purpose) the windows have transoms as well. The lowers are plantation blinds so do a decent job of mitigation but the transoms are untreated. Luckily the sun does not directly hit the screen area.

The LR wall paint is currently a Behr green/greyish. White ceiling. I'm not really looking for perfection or to turn the LR into a cinema. I am considering remote blinds for the transoms but there's still gonna be a lot of ambient.

My goal is to produce a screen most favorable to ambient. I'm not a color purist, etc so all of those issues are really secondary to me.

What would be the paint recommendation to best deal with the ambient? (besides paint over the windows, lol)..

I'm another case of trying to make lemonade.. Just wanna see in short order if I can put something together to be happy 'enough' with the image during weekend days to justify keeping the projector for the excellent night time performance I'm seeing.

Everything I watch is either HD (DTV) or Bluray.

Thanks in advance for the help. I look forward to experimenting.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
What would be the paint recommendation to best deal with the ambient? (besides paint over the windows, lol)..

I'm another case of trying to make lemonade.. Just wanna see in short order if I can put something together to be happy 'enough' with the image during weekend days to justify keeping the projector for the excellent night time performance I'm seeing.

Everything I watch is either HD (DTV) or Bluray.

Thanks in advance for the help. I look forward to experimenting.
Hello.

I 'm sure that the guys will help you picking the right paint for your needs, which probably will be something like dark grey, but i would like to point out something...

Front throw projectors and ambient light are two totally incompatible notions. So, the crucial points on your query are two IMHO, putting aside for a moment all the other limitations (PJ's lumens, screen size, viewing distance e.t.c):

1. More or less, how much ambient light are we talking about?

2. Describe please, what are your minimum p.q. requirements/expectations in such conditions?

As it concerns the projector's placement, according to projector central calculator, you will get your dual screen (65'' and 92'') by placing the projector at 10' 8'' using the zoom function.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi bstrutton, welcome to HTS! :wave:

Our Black Widow™ screen mix might work for you, but using the 435 lumen reading projectorcentral got with your PJ (low lamp and calibrated Cinema mode) you would be getting ~34 fL of image brightness with the 65" screen. We have had reports of high brightness levels like this causing a graininess in the image.

A non-reflectively enhanced paint that would have no possibility of graininess in the same shade of gray as BW™ (N7.5) would be Valspar Ultra Premium interior Super Flat Finish tinted to the color Glidden 'Veil', but it wouldn't provide quite as bright an image. The tint formula for this color is in Lowe's color database under Glidden Master Palette.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi bstrutton, welcome to HTS! :wave:

Our Black Widow™ screen mix might work for you, but using the 435 lumen reading projectorcentral got with your PJ (low lamp and calibrated Cinema mode) you would be getting ~34 fL of image brightness with the 65" screen. We have had reports of high brightness levels like this causing a graininess in the image.

A non-reflectively enhanced paint that would have no possibility of graininess in the same shade of gray as BW™ (N7.5) would be Valspar Ultra Premium interior Super Flat Finish tinted to the color Glidden 'Veil', but it wouldn't provide quite as bright an image. The tint formula for this color is in Lowe's color database under Glidden Master Palette.
Thanks for the suggestion. Couple of questions:

1) So that I'm clear, if I wanted to try your alternate paint suggestion, that would be just the paint as specified without any additive, correct? Might give this a shot for the 65" area.

2) If the projector produces too many fL AT the throw distance for the 65/92" combo then if I was to just forego the 65" panel & just stick with a placement for 92" would the fL's be within the non-grainy range for the BW mix?

Thanks so much for the help!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Couple of questions:

1) So that I'm clear, if I wanted to try your alternate paint suggestion, that would be just the paint as specified without any additive, correct? Might give this a shot for the 65" area.
That is correct. This is what we call an OTS solution (Off-The-Shelf) since it is simply a can of paint mixed to a neutral shade of gray at the paint store.

2) If the projector produces too many fL AT the throw distance for the 65/92" combo then if I was to just forego the 65" panel & just stick with a placement for 92" would the fL's be within the non-grainy range for the BW mix?
I would say yes. You would be getting ~17 fL of image brightness with a 92" screen which is just a tad over the 16 fL maximum brightness for a dark theater, but I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, we have never been able to produce a grainy image in our own home theaters (or workshop in my case) using a BW™ screen, but we have no reason to doubt others are really seeing what they are reporting. Whenever you add reflective particulates to your screen mix that are larger than the regular paint molecules you run the risk of them being visible as "film grain" under a bright enough light and a high enough resolution image. If I remember correctly the folks that reported seeing a grainy image with BW™ were sitting quite close to the screen (~10 feet or closer) and had 20 fL of image brightness or more.

Thanks so much for the help!
Glad to be of assistance! :T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts