Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
[EDIT: I just noticed the top of the paint can says eggshell. hello hometheatershack, my name is bighernan, and i am an idiot... sorry for the confusion]

Hi Harpmaker,

I got my paint at a Lowes here in Los Angeles, CA. I asked for a quart of Valspar Signature in eggshell finish, i noticed he inputted semi matte into his computer. Just to be sure, though, I just went ahead and grabbed the empty paint can from my trash bin and took a photo for your reference. It indeed says Semi Matte. Sorry for the bad photos. :dontknow:
You're not an idiot at all bighernan, the onus is on Valspar for this bit of confusion. Thanks for bothering to photograph the empty can to clear things up! :T Something I find funny in a way is that instead of printing "semi-matt" or "semi-matte" on the bottom of the label they use "semi-mate". :coocoo:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi guys!!............uk member needs help?

I have read most of the discussions about BWus BWuk BWeu plus the heated debates! but I'm still unsure which shade of gray and how dark I can and should go?

My screen is a cheap 106" beamax 1.1 white screen M/pull down so no problem about painting it and I will be washing it down first with panel wipe and using dulux super grip primer first..........................I am then thinking of using either dulux "grey steel 1" with the AAA-F at 4to1 but I would like to know if you think this mybe to dark after now telling you what my pj and room conditions are? like

dulux grey steel 1 and 2 here.......BUT SHOULD I GO DARKER?
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http://www.dulux.co.uk/colour/grey_steel_1&ei=Qlo5U4PyGsLIhAfIwIHICA&usg=AFQjCNEn-vZaHV52DLlfuUFOS_u6vjM77g

My room is 13' x 12' and the walls and ceiling are all matt white with my optoma hd25e is mounted to the ceiling directly overhead to the mlp and 12' away from the screen with the lens 6" above the top of the viewing screen! When I bought the screen from a avforums member (cheap) I didn't realise it was a 1.1 and in my living room I have described above it lights up the room like a xmas tree and is very bright and that's still after calibration and on the eco setting............And now I want to know how dark a grey I can go in this type of room with lots of ambient light especially during the day?

Many Regards,

Steve.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Well you have the lumens to go as dark as the Grey Steel 1 that's for sure. What I would do is see if you can sample cans of each and make up some small samples to test out before you paint the Beamax. You definitely don't want to have to repaint that screen once it's been done already!

·
Registered
112 Posts
(((((((Cheers Mech)))))) :) for your speedy reply!! What about me also using eggshell along with the AAA-f or would you think I wouldn't need to use eggshell.....................Plus do you think I could go even darker than grey steel 1 , what would be the worse case scenario a too dark an image/pale whites.

A friend of mine is at the minute building a dedicated cinema room although not so big it will be nice and dark and using the same pj on a 92" screen......................he's also building his own screen so what would the best base colour for him to go for , would it be something like a dulux white vinyl matt emulsion along with the 4/1 AAA-f additive.

P.S MR HARPER!! :D but which dulux product is the equivalent to the Valspar Signature paints thanks?

Regards,
Steve.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi guys if I can ask any one of the "three musketeers":R Where are you at this time in using the newer batch / mix of AAA-f with certain base paints/finishes.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I'd stick with the Matt finish over the eggshell finish. And you can go as dark as you'd like, I'd just test it out beforehand. Maybe you can conspire with your buddy to make up some larger samples and see what works for both of you! :)

Harp doesn't pop in every day. He has family health issues that usually take up a lot of his time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks again Mech!! And sorry to hear about Harp although id read some time ago about his difficulties I wish him and his family well!

I now wondering if I could personally get away with not using any AAA-f at all now but just go really dark grey like a graphite:scratch: .

So is there a specific dedicated cinema bw mix out there using one of the white matt / vinyl or eggshell emulsions and the new AAA-F! that will give more than a 1.0 gain.............Sorry if I keep harping on no pun intended.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
You can always try it without AAA. We still haven't really tested BW Ultra™ fully since we both lead busy lives.

It's my belief that with how bright projectors are becoming, these specialty screen paints will no longer be needed except in special cases. A simple OTS Neutral will fit the bill for most everyone. I believe that Bill (wbassett) said this many years ago. :T

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cheers for that Mech! And I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here but Martin Purnell pm'd me sending his upmost regards to you!

Plus he added that I couldn't just add the AAA-F to a straight neutral gray like "dulux gray steel 1" as it needed to be a pinky base paint before adding it...............Although he did admit he'd been out of the loop for some time and mix's etc may have changed now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've just past on your greatings Mech:clap:....................So just to recap / finalise my mix to would you add the AAA to a straight dark neutral gray base paint of would you think it would be better to go darker! And leave the AAA for my friends dedicated cinema room mix.:scratch:

P.S Yes I thought that was the case about the old AAA.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to add!! Does anyone know of a dulux / leyland exterior dark gray paint I could use on my pull down screen which has got great adhesion so I wouldn't have to use a high adhesion primer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm a bit miffed as having taking Mech's advise which was to obtain some samples of the dulux grey steel 1 and 2 to test out on some panels taped to my screen , I've subsequently found out that here in the uk! that the sample they make up for you is not the flat matt / matt or vinyl matt finish you want but some standard finish the machine churns out................It's only when you request which ever paint in the larger quantities from 1litr upwards is the only time you can specify which finish you ask for that you actually get!!...................I wonder if this is the same for most paint shops / companies.?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I've just past on your greatings Mech:clap:....................So just to recap / finalise my mix to would you add the AAA to a straight dark neutral gray base paint of would you think it would be better to go darker! And leave the AAA for my friends dedicated cinema room mix.:scratch:
Yes you can go with just a simple neutral gray. :T

I though I'd add these instruction that after painting your screen its important to roll the screen horizontally............What to you guys think about this?
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CIQBEBYwCA&url=http://www.paintonscreen.com/&ei=mzY8U6zMC6GM7AasjoD4Aw&usg=AFQjCNGuNMz_qKd01u7hHd4Xc_HIEU0IXA
I have always rolled vertically, never horizontally.

I'm a bit miffed as having taking Mech's advise which was to obtain some samples of the dulux grey steel 1 and 2 to test out on some panels taped to my screen , I've subsequently found out that here in the uk! that the sample they make up for you is not the flat matt / matt or vinyl matt finish you want but some standard finish the machine churns out................It's only when you request which ever paint in the larger quantities from 1litr upwards is the only time you can specify which finish you ask for that you actually get!!...................I wonder if this is the same for most paint shops / companies.?
Yeah, you just have to ignore the hot spotting and make do with it. Here in the US the samples are satin finish. It should still give you a good idea of white/black performance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Steve for the advice once more! I think I'm now set with the paint and a lot more confident about it all now! So now comes the hard part after I test my sample....................Now where thinking about adding the 2 bottles of AAA-F with the dulux diamond matt white emulsion for a mix for a dedicated light controlled cinema room.............What do you recon Mech?

Steve.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
41 - 60 of 82 Posts