Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I've gone for the dulux grey steel 1 plus the 4.1 AAA!! and after just painted the one coat of dulux supergrip primer which I am now waiting for it to dry , i'll be putting on my first coat of grey in a little while.....................Is 3 / 4 hour enough time for the primer to dry.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Mech! I waited 4 hours before painting the second coat which is the first coat of the grey steel 1 00NN 31/000!! Its funny that this used to be called icon granite in its previous life....................Like you have already mentioned , the names change but the ici numbers remain the same lol.

I will now wait until very early morning before putting on the second grey coat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just had a little play with the pj now ive got the one coat of grey on and the blacks are great and the colours more vivid!! And my white ceiling and walls doesn't illuminate up anyway near as it did / was doing.

I am very pleased with the out come of this colour combination so its another big thanks from me to the guys who have invested there time , energy and money in coming up with this product / info ................A BIG THUMBS UP AND THANKS MECH!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had a little play with the pj now ive got the one coat of grey on and the blacks are great and the colours more vivid!! And my white ceiling and walls doesn't illuminate up anyway near as it did / was doing.

I am very pleased with the out come of this colour combination so its another big thanks from me to the guys who have invested there time , energy and money in coming up with this product / info ................A BIG THUMBS UP AND THANKS MECH!!
Hi There mojogoes.

I have the same specs and I'm thinking about using the same BW combination.

What happened to your 3D brightness? Still fine or got too dark ?

Thank U.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just check it before you roll the next coat. Drying time depends upon a number of factors including temperature and humidity.
Hi There mechman.

I have an optoma HD25e (120" projection) and I'm thinking about using the same BW combination (steel grey 1+AAA).

I'm going to loose to much 3D brightness? I'm gonna use it on a totally dark room.
Do you think Steel Grey 1+AAA is too dark for it ? Or Should I go for "veil" with AAA ?

Thank You.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi FabioMC!! I would think that "dulux grey steel 1" I would think a little to dark for a really dark / bat-cave and I'd be more inclined to use the standard n7.5 to n9 BW which would be more on line with the "grey steel 3 or 4" neutral greys.

With either of these tints you should be fine in 3d mode and if you don't think it is bright enough in 3d! you can always switch your pj from eco to bright to make up for it if its not doing so automatically anyway.....................Also try when your watching 3d to put it into top / bottom mode which gives an even larger 3d effect.

Another setting that I am currently using when watching bd movies is to put the hd25e / hd131xe / hd25 etc into the "YUV color space" setting before making any calibrations to the brightness / contrast and cms color settings.:T It then allows you to be able to calibrate to get shut of the ridiculously red and over tanned faces on all characters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much does your brightness drop when viewing 3D? You've probably got a ton of lumens in 2D.
Hi FabioMC!! I would think that "dulux grey steel 1" I would think a little to dark for a really dark / bat-cave and I'd be more inclined to use the standard n7.5 to n9 BW which would be more on line with the "grey steel 3 or 4" neutral greys.

With either of these tints you should be fine in 3d mode and if you don't think it is bright enough in 3d! you can always switch your pj from eco to bright to make up for it if its not doing so automatically anyway.....................Also try when your watching 3d to put it into top / bottom mode which gives an even larger 3d effect.

Another setting that I am currently using when watching bd movies is to put the hd25e / hd131xe / hd25 etc into the "YUV color space" setting before making any calibrations to the brightness / contrast and cms color settings.:T It then allows you to be able to calibrate to get shut of the ridiculously red and over tanned faces on all characters.
Thanks.
I'm using a white paint wall with black background. The sidewalls and ceiling in the last 1 meter of the room is also black.
It's just fine in 3D right now but my black level is not enjoyable for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Brightness: 0
Contrast: -3
So this automatically tells me that your calibration is still to bright especially for a dark / bat-cave type of room.......................Just to say that at night with my walls and ceiling being painted white my contrast is set to -18 with brightness at -4 with color space on YUV and brilliant color at 4 just for starters................But just remember that these settings are not for watching tv/hd tv only bd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So this automatically tells me that your calibration is still to bright especially for a dark / bat-cave type of room.......................Just to say that at night with my walls and ceiling being painted white my contrast is set to -18 with brightness at -4 with color space on YUV and brilliant color at 4 just for starters................But just remember that these settings are not for watching tv/hd tv only bd.
My PJ is not calibrated using any tools. I just tried several settings found on those forum threads and chose the one that gave me the best PQ.

The contrast/brightness were calibrated using the basic patterns.

I've ordered an i1 Display Pro for properly calibrate my PJ.

Contrast -18 and Brighness -4 gives me a dim image. I don't use brilliant color.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So ok firstly did you put those contrast / brightness settings in while being in the dark or not plus leaving brilliant color on 1 tints the whole of the screen a browny/pinky shade.

Have you tried YUV color space as yet?...............My pj is only calibrated using a calibration disc S/M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So ok firstly did you put those contrast / brightness settings in while being in the dark or not plus leaving brilliant color on 1 tints the whole of the screen a browny/pinky shade.

Have you tried YUV color space as yet?...............My pj is only calibrated using a calibration disc S/M.
If select YUV in color space, the whole picture turns blue.

My system is an HTPC (hdmi-out from an Nvidia Card).

·
Registered
112 Posts
If select YUV in color space, the whole picture turns blue.

My system is an HTPC (hdmi-out from an Nvidia Card).

Ok! So the YUV setting is only for playing movies from a blu ray player!! If! I even watch tv with pj or pc the YUV setting is no good and has to be switched back to either auto / 0-225 / 16-235 ............But YUV for bd player use is a much better setting as with only a calibration disc like spears and munsil plus the blue red and green filters , you can get the picture quality and colours to be much more natural looking plus the blacks are darker too!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have cms settings that if you were using a bd player would probably give you the best picture that you have seen from a hd25e even if you were using a matt white or grey BW painted wall or brightness of room / screen!! As they have been used on both with small tweaks between either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well just a little update about settings with the newly painted BW manual pulldown screen! Which prompted me to delve into a more in depth look at calibration of my hd25e!!

Calibration of my pj with the S&M hd disc on my newly painted BW screen has been very fruitful!! Especially when I then added to this some settings and adjustment to the isf picture perfect on my onkyo receiver which made it possible to get very very close to the S&M standard contrast and to the red blue and green contrast box,s which before hand seemed very difficult to be able to get spot on.................but now voilà the picture looks extremely natural.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Well just a little update about settings with the newly painted BW manual pulldown screen! Which prompted me to delve into a more in depth look at calibration of my hd25e!!

Calibration of my pj with the S&M hd disc on my newly painted BW screen has been very fruitful!! Especially when I then added to this some settings and adjustment to the isf picture perfect on my onkyo receiver which made it possible to get very very close to the S&M standard contrast and to the red blue and green contrast box,s which before hand seemed very difficult to be able to get spot on.................but now voilà the picture looks extremely natural.
Cool! :T

Properly calibrating a projection system can make a huge difference in the projected image.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi There mojogoes.

I have the same specs and I'm thinking about using the same BW combination.

What happened to your 3D brightness? Still fine or got too dark ?

Thank U.
Hi mech and sorry for the very long delay !! The 3d picture / brightness is fine and after going to some lengths to calibrate me pj for the darker grey steel one the 3d looked fantastic especially on the spear and munsil hd disc 3d demo section........................its quite surprising at how much brightness / lum you actually need especially when used at night even in a lightly coloured painted room.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts