Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie, so be gentle. Searched around a bit, but thought someone could point me in the right dirction. In a couple months we'll be moving into a new house with an unfinished basement. One plan is to set-up a home theater on a budget now, then a nicer one once we decide to finish the basement when the kids get older...or after they move out. So, the question is, is it possible to paint the screen onto the poured concrete basement walls with good results? Please let me know if you have any information, tips, techniques, pointers, or pictures on this.

Also, I'm planning on going with ViewSonic PJD5523w WXGA DLP Projector and the Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1-Channel Home Theater System.
Let me know if you have any experience with those.
Did I mention this project is on a budget?
Looking forward to learning a lot on this forum.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big of a screen? I'd think it would be better to use a substrate. Poured concrete walls are rarely smooth.
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by substrate? I'm not counting on the walls to be smooth, there will be some pits and seams to deal with. Thought somebody might have an easy, or effective, method of smoothing it out. Not exactly sure what size yet, possibly around 200".

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
You really want it smooth, perfectly smooth if you can. Otherwise, all the images will have the texture of the wall on them - not good. A while back folks were using some brand of plastic for screens with good results. Good idea to look in the DIY screen forum.

If you can add it to your budget, Carada makes very good quality fixed screens at reasonable prices. I have one of ther 102" models and am very well pleased with it.

Also, 200" will require a projector with HUGE amounts of light output. Many projector manufacturers like to brag "up to..." screen size, but what they don't tell you is that the picture will be way too dim at those sizes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some more info, looks like 200" is a little ambitious. Are most screens in the 100" - 120" range? My plan was to try and go as big as possible while maintaining a nice, clear, bright picture.

I've thought about using some type of concrete patch to fill the voids, but that might be difficult to get nice and smooth also. Looks like I'll be reading up in this forum for awhile.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Sitting about 11 feet back, my 102" is about right. But, that is the largest one that would fit between my front main speakers. I would have gone a little bigger otherwise.

One way to maximize brightness is to put the projector as close to the screen as possible - light falls off quickly with distance. However, how close you can go depends on the projector's zoom ratio and the screen size.

I think you would be much happier purchasing even a budget screen rather than using the concrete wall. Others are happy with DIY screens so do read up and find out the best way to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts