Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been discussing DIY HT screen options with a friend in another state and he wants to try a simple OTS gray first. I recommended that he get Valspar Ultra Premium Interior Enamel flat tinted "Winter Mountain" to get a N8 gray. He then said he didn't have a Lowe's close to him, but he did have Home Depot. I then recommended he get Behr #1850 enamel tinted "Universal Gray" since it is very close to N8.

Now the problem...

I was just to Home Depot today on other business and decided the get a can to try out myself; when I asked the paint person what I wanted she said that she could not mix a Glidden color (Universal Gray) in a Behr paint!:unbelievable:

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had it verified by someone that has a lot of experience with Home Depot that they will in fact not mix Glidden colors in Behr paint. I know for a fact that it could be done, but for whatever reason Home Depot has chosen not to do this. I personally find that very irksome since Glidden doesn't seem to have an interior latex to match the Behr #1850 enamel...

I advised my friend to make the trip to Lowe's. I will however, amend my reply and tell him he might try the 1850 in "Silver Screen" (though it is a bit lighter gray than I think he should use) or wait for me to have a sample of an N8 paint computer matched at HD.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That is odd but honestly I'm not surprised with Home Depot.

Behr and Glidden are the same company so there is no reason for them to refuse. Even if it were a different company, some people prefer one paint brand over another. If you think about it that's idiotic for Home Depot to refuse to mix another brand's color. Some people might walk away and go elsewhere, so they are potentially losing customers.

What I've run into more often is they simply don't know how to do anything other than what comes up on the screen, and worse... they don't go ask anyone. Similar story, I was in Home Depot for laminates and the person told me they don't sell Wilsonart! I walked over to the display and asked what that was then! I got a sheepish "Oh" but then when I asked for prices of a 5'x10' sheet he said it didn't come in that size and that they don't carry it if they did. Seeing I've talked directly to Wilsonart many times and have purchased through Home Depot before I knew this wasn't true. Basically the guy had no idea what he was talking about and refused to admit it or even go ask someone.

Same thing happens in the paint department. True story... on a separate occasion I was in HD and nobody was in the paint department. Customer service called for someone several times and finally the girl at customer service went over and started mixing paint. She admitted though that she was cross trained on how to mix paint but had to remember how. That happens way more often than people think. We tend to assume the person there knows what they are doing and that's their department and a lot of times they are just a stand in from another department.

Conversely, Lowes will mix any color in any brand a person wants, at least they always have for me.

I personally like Valspar better than Behr paints. It's a better quality of paint and rolls and covers much better. Valspar isn't exclusive to Lowes though like Behr is only a Home Depot paint. True Value and other hardware stores also carry Valspar so I personally would look around.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could be mistaken, but I'm almost sure Home Depot uses X-rite spectrophotometers and color tinting software. I have a friend that runs an independent hardware, but still sells many Ace products including Ace paint. They have a spectro like mine. When I was asking him about his paint computer setup he said that if someone wanted a color matched that wasn't in the computer's database all he had to do was call X-rite and they would give him the tinting info over the phone.

It seems simple to me, the above hardware store wants repeat business, the large chain stores don't give a flip (I've had problems at Lowe's too).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts