Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to finally repaint my living room/media room.(PJ and tv)
It is off white and even though I get a TON of sunlight(if wanted) it makes me so depressed and it kills my PJ.

So, I'm lloking for advice on painting.
It is a 14.5' x 14' room, that extends into a kitchen that is 14' x 11'.
The far left wall extends from the front of the house to the rear.(from front of living room to rear of kitchen.
The opposite right wall ends short of the 14' length, which then is a hallway.
The ceiling is vaultd and goes from 9'h at the front to ~14'h at peak and then back to 9' at back of house and kitchen.

I was thinking of a chocolatre brown or something along those lines on at least the long left wall that runs the full house as an accent wall(*this is the wall my PJ screen is on)
Tryting to paint all four walls though, maybe a light pale blue shade on the ther walls?
*I definitely do not want four dark walls.
The ceiling above that screen wall goes like this \, but at a less severe angle.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Every wall is off-white. :(
That's good ... I thought that you might have some darker colors which will limit your options :yes:

I think you'll be okay with any dark color (browns, blues, greens, grays ...) it will be opt to you.

Did you use the color pallette from Lowes, Home Depot, Behr, etc. that they offer online where you can see how your room will look like??? ... I think is a good place to start to get ideas ...:yes:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it's more that I'm looking for how to paint properly...as in which walls should get which color.
Also what secondary color works as I don't want all four walls dark.

So which is dark and which are light with regards to the PJ set-up.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yup

So which is dark and which are light with regards to the PJ set-up.
I don't use a PJ ... but I assume that the front wall/ceiling need the dark color (to avoid the light reflections), and the side walls can be two shades lighter ...:huh:

Let's see what other say ...:hide:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my ceiling is vaulted so it helps with reflections and also the peak is too high for me to want to paint the ceiling.
But you are right about the screen wall wanting to be the dark wall I'm guessing....but perhaps the rear wall is more important.
I have a 3" velvet border to the screen.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
My theater gets some nasty afternoon sunlight that burns through the vertical blinds (cloth). To deal with this I did two things:

One, I used a high gain screen, which really did help a lot, but can still wash out.

Two, I painted the lower half of the room and the wall the screen was on a dark hunter green. The trick was that we used "Sandwash". The walls ended up having the texture of 100 grit sandpaper and no sheen. This really cut down on reflections, glare, and the overall brightness of the room.

Sandwash ain't cheap, though. At $50 a can and needing at least 3 coats to go on right, it overshot our budget, but the final effect was worth it.

Good luck.

·
Banned
137 Posts
While I won't pretend to know much about the effects of what paint does to a big screen, if knocking down sunlight reflections is the concern, you may also consider an eggshell or even a matte latex.

Certainly you want to avoid gloss and or oils ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have started. :)
Birdsnest Brown on the screen wall.(darkish brown)
A two shade lighter tan for the side walls.
Accent wall is still under consideration.......either:
A. Light blue or teal
B. Same tan as side walls.

What do you guys think?(black leather recliners and couch)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
A. Light blue or teal

My option will be "B" ...:bigsmile:
(I'm old fashioned and don't like different colors in the same room)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Darker colors seem to work best for HT rooms. However with that said if you went to dark it would off balance the rest of the house as you have adjoining rooms. What I have learned is that dark earth tones are good. A dark red or burgundy would go well in that area. Be sure to use FLAT paints and if you can even go with a textured paint that would not reflect light would even be better. (The stuff I am talking about is like a sand they add to the paint).

If you can't see yourself going with a real dark color, then try earthy tones like a darker tan or rust color. Finding colors that do not reflect light work the best, its not the fact they are flat or semi-flat color can reflect light as can the matte finish just because of the color.

I went with a very dark burgundy and black floor and ceiling, but my room is dedicated to HT. If I had to do it in the living room I probably would go with a darker tan or a dark red. Neutral colors go with just about anything.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, I have started. :)
Birdsnest Brown on the screen wall.(darkish brown)
A two shade lighter tan for the side walls.
A. Light blue or teal

Good choice, now I wish I had read that before I posted the other message :thud:

Maybe a different shade of tan for the accents to add some depth. No Blue or teal they don;t go well together IMO.

Black and browns go together, black goes with just about anything. Be safe go black.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Black wall is a definite no go, I don't want it.
The adjoining kitchen is being painted as well, accordingly to its' wall faces.

In home decor the most popular combo for a few years now is brown and light blue or light green/teal.....I'm suprised to hear both of you say you wouldn't go that route.
Isn't the accent wall supposed to be a brighter wall?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The adjoining kitchen is being painted as well, accordingly to its' wall faces....
What color are you using???

In home decor the most popular combo for a few years now is brown and light blue or light green/teal.....I'm suprised to hear both of you say you wouldn't go that route.
Like I said before I'm old fashioned ...:bigsmile: ... I painted mine (a couple of years ago) halls, living, family, dinning and kitchen got the same colors because they're connected to each other.

Remember that you have the last word ...if you like that combination, go ahead, everybody has different tastes ...is your house and you'll decorate according your taste :yes: ...:T...:surrender:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the far wall is the birdsnest darker brown....the rest of it will be the tan.
Ahh, buut my quandry is color schemes...whether it be clothing or paint. Just npo taste for what's good. :)

That is why I enlisted the help of my hot neighbor(who's engaged), she picked out the brown and tan and reccomended the teal.(I just see light blue as a popular choice on the net)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's been a tightrope walk for two years now....but I behave myself. :)

I'm going to try to get pictures of it right now with just the one wall painted(screen wall)...which could help others help me.
She has a camera I could get a few pics with to upload.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You could do the screen wall in chocolate brown and then the other walls in a contrasting lighter brown (beige). At the paint store they should have color samples on paper that group dark and light together (on those pieces of paper they have).

Ralph Lauren has some neat textured paint that can help knock down reflections. If you like blue, their suede or denim paint techniques are pretty cool.

What color is your flooring, trim and furniture?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Already painted the screen wall brown....and already have a two shade lighter tan for side walls....just don't know what to do with accent wall.

Couch and recliner are black.
Flooring is a extremely light tan.
Trim is off-white.(at least for now)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts