Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the parts have arrived for my little project :)

I am building a Pair of Tempest-X2 subs 500W x 660D x 1270H Slot ported to 18hz.

I had Graham design an enclosure for me after failing to get Sketchup to do what I wanted.

I had a local Kitchen shop order me some black woodgrain vinyl laminated panels for the outer sides.

I will update more as it all moves on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bracing is done for 1 sub with a little transposing of non critical components the second set should go a little quicker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both braces now done

Routing out the front panel

The jig came loose after breaking through I dont think it should be to noticable though I probably should have done the front panels last so I didnt have any incidents with them.

Being able to look at and do measurements on the sketchup file makes it alot easier than building as you go. Ive had to change the design slightly as I went with the Laminated panels I will be inlaying the top to be level with the front and side panels so there is no change in materials easily visible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is actually pre veneered MDF from a kitchen building shop I just got them to order it to the size I needed. I will also be putting a black glass top onto it which is why Ive got raw MDF on the top plate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both Subs are now Pretty much finished If I can find a Veneer edge tape that matches the rest I will finish the port surrounds with it but I am pretty happy with how they look without it.
The next thing I need to do is build a centre speaker shelf that can hold its weight without bowing :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh they are all up and running, I have only level matched them so far untill I have the time to relearn how to use REW and do some calibrating. They have a bit more low end punch than my 12's did and the house vibrates and creaks before the enclosures do :) I think they are also heavy enough that they wont walk across the loungeroom I am glad that I assembled them inside as I dont think I could lift them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the moment I am not running one but am planning on building a Passive 2nd order HPF at 17hz unless I can find out where to buy something like the Reckhorn B1 in Australia.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have finally got around to doing some REW measurements, I had a large peak @40hz and null @70 this is as close as I could get it with the RXV3800s EQ which only allows 2 filters for sub range. I also had to set the mains to small and output bass only on the subwoofer as when I turned them on the null got bigger.
Moving the subs is not really an option due to their size, would room treatment help this issue and what would be recommended would bass traps help or make it worse??
It all sounds pretty good to me anyway so its not a big issue but I'm not against making it better.

Subs alone

Subs with Mains

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Ash,

Thats a good response my friend. Considering you are tuned to 18hz you got a very good response down to 15hz with a nice little hump around 17hz. What is your subwoofer crossed over at. The null at 70hz is pretty narrow so I would very much doubt its going to cause any issues. Apply 1/3rd smoothing to that graph and you will see a massive difference.

Great result mate and I would not bother with any other treatments or EQ.

Great job and love the design. LOL!

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The subs are crossed at 80hz it took alot of work playing with the different EQ slopes and frequencies to get it somewhat flat there was about 35db between 40hz and 70hz when I first ran it and there is only so much you can do when you have only got 2 filters to play with.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
That's the advantage off two subs over one. Less EQ.

Have you run a sweep off each sub to see how they look on their own. I bet a single sub would need much more EQ than the two.

I wouldn't do any more EQ personally. You can drive yourself up the wall with running REW sweeps trying to better the last one you took. I bet your ears aren't even hearing the peaks and nulls anyway.

I would now just have some fun with some music and films.

Great job again.

cheers

Graham

1 - 20 of 27 Posts