Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a long time of being undecided I finally took the plunge and bought a new Panasonic AE8000 to replace my AE4000 thats been in my theater for 4 years.
I found one on sale in Canada for $2200 Thats about $1750 USD. So definitely not a bad deal at all.

I hope the difference is as pronounced as it was going form my old Sanyo Z4 to the AE4000:T

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
You're gonna love it, Tony!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I considered the Epson equivalent but the auto aspect ratio zoom of the panasonics has me hooked.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I considered the Epson equivalent but the auto aspect ratio zoom of the panasonics has me hooked.
That is what got me to go back to Panasonic too... I don't know how I ever lived without the feature before. :T

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just the two that come with it. I really don't like 3D
You sure about that? I bought one a few weeks ago and it didn't come with glasses. I ended up having to purchase a set from a Japanese seller on eBay as the glasses are very difficult to find nowadays.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, they are cheaper as well. Personally I don't like 3D anyhow so it matters not.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So how are you liking the Panny?
It's great, the most noticeable difference is the auto lens memory is much faster and you can turn off that annoying "processing" logo when it's doing it. The image quality is better but not as much as I exspected over the 4000. The out of the box image quality is better where the 4000 needed a lot of tweaking to get it there the 8000 in cinema1 or even Rec mode is fantastic.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's great, the most noticeable difference is the auto lens memory is much faster and you can turn off that annoying "processing" logo when it's doing it. The image quality is better but not as much as I exspected over the 4000. The out of the box image quality is better where the 4000 needed a lot of tweaking to get it there the 8000 in cinema1 or even Rec mode is fantastic.
Do you mind elaborating on PQ comparison with the 4000, particularly contrast, black level, sharpness, color uniformity? How about fan noise and auto iris noise? I'm about to make the same upgrade. And I don't even remotely care about 3D. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the upgrade from the 4000 to the 8000 is worth it. I find the PQ to be outstanding. There seems to better image contrast and the resolution seems better even though its still only 1080p. Black levels are slightly better and as I said the zoom lens is much faster.
I also seem to think that the frame creation is much better, Im using mode 1 and it really helps get rid of the frame studder that you naturally get during pans in movies but still maintains the look and feel of the movie without looking like a TV show (I found with the 4000 it was not perfect and sometimes would jump)

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think the upgrade from the 4000 to the 8000 is worth it. I find the PQ to be outstanding. There seems to better image contrast and the resolution seems better even though its still only 1080p. Black levels are slightly better and as I said the zoom lens is much faster.
I also seem to think that the frame creation is much better, Im using mode 1 and it really helps get rid of the frame studder that you naturally get during pans in movies but still maintains the look and feel of the movie without looking like a TV show (I found with the 4000 it was not perfect and sometimes would jump)
Have you found any color uniformity issues (green/blue push in one area of screen, red push in another)? I've seen that mentioned in a few reviews. Not sure whether that is the rule or the exception.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts