Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the most informative post on this. I was given a PT56WX33g that is only a few years old that doesn't work. It was turned on and had no video. After reading all of this info,what are the chances I have this convergence IC problem. I noticed most posts here indicate a change in colors,warping,bowing,etc. There hasn't been too much talk of these just failing instantly. I,ve checked for the obvious (fuses,blown resistors)and haven't found anything.This is too nice a unit to toss if it's farly inexpensive to repair. Thanks again for this info!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is hard to say. Convergence problems are the most common cause of shutdown in many sets, but there are many other potential problems as well. Youi can remove the convergence ICs and verify resistors and fuses are ok then start the set up with the chips out of circuit to test. The set will run with no convergence correction. I will move this thread to the Panasonic forum.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i removed the chips last night and tried to run the set, with no luck. There are resistors that do not read what they should be,2.2 ohm resistors that read 2.9,incidently,they all read 2.9,with the others reading a higher value, not what they are marked,just not alot higher.I will replace the chips anyway and these resistors,since I am here. Any other common things to check that go wrong with these sets before I bring it in to the shop?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Many meters are not accurate in low ohms. Verify that there is power to the ICs. You may have a blown fuse or open supply resistor and that can keep the set in shutdown. Otherwise the set should run with the ICs removed, even if the resitors on the output amp are open.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts