Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want one. If budget allowed - I'd buy one tomorrow. Value for money. Who cares if it looks ugly. I only care if the picture on the screen looks good.

Maybe later this year if the stars line up - i'll get one.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
When you consider how much the Panasonics cost, they hit well above there weight with stunning performance and flexibility for setting up with so many tweaks for calibration, I also think that they look very nice for a PJ and it certainly does not look out of place in my set up :whistling:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appearance is always subjective, but I think it's the most attractive home projector on the market. It has more of a professional, functional design, unlike some of the consumer products that appear almost toy-like.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dont have the full amount needed to buy the 4000, I did find a steal on a Sony VPL VW100 "Ruby" for under $800. Its on its way and dont get me wrong I am excited to get it and thrilled at the potential image it should produce but I really wish I could have got the 4000, my experience with my Panasonic projector has been very positive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you can bag a ruby for 800 you won't be hurt with your purchase. I owned a ruby before I got my 4k and I have to say it was a very good projector. If you plan on keeping the ruby and need to change out the bulb in the lamp it's very easy to bulb. This will save you major dollars over the OEM lamp cost.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am using a PTAX-100U with very good results.

Screen size - 155" diag.

Throw distance - 26 feet.

Total light controlled room. Would the 4000 work here, and would it be a huge improvement?

·
Registered
206 Posts

Screen size - 155" diag.

Total light controlled room. Would the 4000 work here, and would it be a huge improvement?
I had one of those and yes its a great unit but I dont think there is anyway the 4000 would not best it across the board..............boy thats a long throw for a huge screen ya got there!

·
Registered
53 Posts

Screen size - 155" diag.

I am setting up my theater and am considering AE4000 vs BenQ W6000. I prefer Panasonic, but my concerns are with image brightness. Using Projection calculator from Projector Central, I have to place my projector at about 16 feet to barely get 12- 13 fl, on 134" diagonal screen in 2.35:1 format with Panasonic. If I use Black Widow painted screen (my preference) it drops to 11 fl, and is cautioned by the calculator. How would this projector provide enough light for 155" screen at 26 feet. :scratch:

If anyone has good experience with Panasonic AE4000 (in this area), please share with me. It will make my decision very easy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had one of those and yes its a great unit but I dont think there is anyway the 4000 would not best it across the board..............boy thats a long throw for a huge screen ya got there!
Are you sure? The Projection Calculator has max throw distance of less than 22 feet, limiting the screen to 111" diagonal at that distance, and to top it off, has very dim picture at 8fl.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Appearance is always subjective, but I think it's the most attractive home projector on the market. It has more of a professional, functional design, unlike some of the consumer products that appear almost toy-like.
I couldnt agree more. I think the PT-AE4000 looks fantastic.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
With the Projectors lens in the middle certainly makes it look nicer to my eyes, so many are off centre that I personally do not like, but then there is the most important part and that is its performance and it certainly gives a stunning picture.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There is a solution: Follow the manufacture's suggestions for screen and projector installation/location.

Looks like others have this problem

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186232&page=116

and no solution other than keystoning :eek:(
When ceiling mounted the center of the projector lens needs to be lower than the screen top, see this page from the Panasonic projector/screen mounting directions. It has a table for the popular screen sizes and calculations for others.

See attached file for details.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here is a reply from LoneAspen in the AVS Forum explaining it better than I did:

"The Panasonic Spec File for this projector is located here:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...00/ae4k_sf.pdf

It has a diagram and chart on page 5. If you look at the 2.35:1 chart (the one with the note "When projecting both 2.35:1 and 16:9 images onto a 2.35:1 screen using the Lens Memory function") you'll see the minimum value of "H" is always zero. If you look for "H" on the diagram at the top of the page, this is the distance the top of the screen is ABOVE the lens. So that a negative value for "H" (as exists in the 16:9 chart) means the top of the screen can be below the lens. However, if minimum "H" is zero, as it is on the 2.35:1 chart, that means the top of the image must be even with the lens or higher than it.

Took me a while to figure that out, combined with some other posts here."

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I've been poking around and am still a bit unclear on the zoom memory modes. What I *think* I want to do is build a 2.35:1 screen and mask it down for 16:9 content. Anamorphic lens is out due to cost and complexity, but it seems like with this PJ it isn't really necessary. Will the memory recall the correct settings for CIH viewing (that is, full screen for 2.35:1 content, and full height with side bars for 16:9)? I think this involves a little bit of digital trickery but still provides a very good picture unless I'm mistaken. Is anyone running their setup this way? If it can be done without compromising much on the sharpness/quality front, that's definitely the route I'll take. Back-up plan is just to build for 16:9 and live with masking the top and bottom like it does on a regular TV.

I totally agree, it's clean, simple, and kind of industrial-functional. I think it looks great.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I love the memory function of my AE4000, I am using with a 2,35:1 screen right now and wold never go back to a standard 16:9.
You need to remember that the black bars on 2,35:1 images are still being drawn no matter if you use an anamorphic or not as its on the source video its just how the processing is done.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I am not sure what I did wrong, but have not been so lucky getting this to work for me. I am using a remote memory button that scrolls through the aspect ratios. :huh:

61 - 80 of 114 Posts