Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sonnie, have you turned on "auto switching" in the user men under the Lens control? you have to select the lens memory that you set up for the 2,35:1 after selecting the auto switching.
dont forget to also use the upper and lower masking settings as well when setting up the user lens memory for the 2,35:1 to compleatly eliminate the black bars that will be off the screen.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yeah... I had it all set up accordingly, but it just did not always get the right aspect ratio for whatever reasons. I may have to try it again to remember all the reasons I was not too fond of it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sonnie,
It took me a while to figure the proper way to save and set-up lens memory too. I write technical manuals, do complicated mechanical system evaluations and other engineering feats daily and had a of a time with the anamorphic set-up. I took a break for a few weeks and came back to it only to discover I was skipping an obvious but all important step - the digital adjust (in lens memory) part when doing the 2.35:1. Take a look at the attachment (even though written for the 3000 it is all relevant). I now have 4 lens memory modes set-up and it works "flawlessly", IMHO. I don't use the auto aspect ratio option and just use the remote to switch between varying aspect ratios. My next spet is to set up my universal remote but I am having too much fun playing games and watching movies.

For the $ it was the best choice for me as I do not need the brighter capability of other competitors nor did I want to spend the $ for a true anamorphic lens/sled set-up. I am sure there is a visible difference in doing anamorphic this way (stretching it out via lens zoom and digital offset) but for a 50/50 (movie/game) Home Theater rig I am truly happy. I do not regret it one bit!

I am so glad I did not wait 10-12 months for a 3D version of this, too. :spend:

I believe that the most important part of having a satisfying and quality audio or video experience is proper set-up and that means calibrating the video and taking the time to listen to various speaker placements.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks for that Scott, Tony, and Sonnie... it sounds like this one will do what I want without too much trouble after the initial setup. I don't mind pressing the buttons for AR myself to change, "auto" makes me nervous for some reason. What would happen in something like Dark Knight where the AR switches during the movie? :sweat:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
"auto" makes me nervous for some reason. What would happen in something like Dark Knight where the AR switches during the movie? :sweat:
That was annoying, I had to turn off the auto switching for that movie as well as Tron. But thats not a common way to do movies so I dont worry about it.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
It was annoying even without the auto-switching. Even though I have black velvet, you can still see when it is not black bars. I set it to 2.35:1, but when it changes to 16:9, you can see the overscan.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah, it was an interesting idea, but I think just too tough to implement properly at the end of the day, especially with front projection where people try to mask out the proper viewing areas. I guess it would be interesting on a regular plasma/LCD display, where all of a sudden the letterboxed image goes "fullscreen", but honestly I don't even really remember noticing that much when I watched it at home. How long/intrusive was the switch between modes?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It takes about 3 seconds for my AE4000 to switch between the two modes. But then it has to focus for another two seconds as well so the "processing" logo flashes during the entire time it does this, thats the more annoying part.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ditto to Tonyvdb's reply. It takes all of about 5-7 seconds and there is an annoying "processing" logo flashing while it performs the switch.

I too keep the auto-switching feature off. I find it a bit annoying during the above mentioned movies and besides I have no issues with switching manually myself. even my 6 yr old figured out how to do it, now Mom that is another story.

I know the new 3D capable Panasonic projector PT-AE7000 will offer it too: lens memory function.

$3,500 for a more svelte looking 3D capable PT-AE4000? I might have bit if it was out last year but I will not be replacing my PT-AE4000 until it dies.....and I don't mean the lamp!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
OK, that sounds good to me. 6 or 7 seconds before the movie starts won't bother me at all, especially to have it fill the screen properly. I really have no interest in 3D so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 4000 for a great price sometime next year (assuming we do get to start our basement).

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, that sounds good to me. 6 or 7 seconds before the movie starts won't bother me at all, especially to have it fill the screen properly. I really have no interest in 3D so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 4000 for a great price sometime next year (assuming we do get to start our basement).
Do you think its going to start coming down in price now? After 2 years of 1999? I hope you are right but my room is ready to go and I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on it soon. You do have an advantage though... as you have no reason to get it until next year.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The AE4000 is a very popular projector and originally retailed for around $3000 It still sells lots so you may not see the price move much lower before they stop selling it at all (Ive seen it for $1899 here in Canada) given the new models are now out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Prices for the AE4000 will no doubt come down now that the replacement(s) have been introduced. Wait until the end of the year and likely you will see the best pricing; until it is no longer available. That last sentence is just a guess so please if you know that is the one and have the $ don't hold out and find them unavailable.

Get it now and enjoy it!

If one waits to buy any type of electronics until the end of it's cycle you miss out on the enjoyment of using it. Note that electronics will always be obsolete in a few years compared to the new offering. There will almost always be a newer cheaper and better alternative. Don't believe me? Wait and see what Panasonic (and the entire industry) has out 5 yrs from now. It will likely be 3D w/ no glasses required and 2-3x the lumen output, or using an LED that does not degrade in light output over time; or all of the above.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I don't think there will be all that noticeable of a difference for folks like me (assuming I am the average guy) in moving up to the 5000... unless I wanted 3-D... and I don't. So I think grabbing a 4000 at a bargain is a great idea. That is if they actually come down in price.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
So I think grabbing a 4000 at a bargain is a great idea. That is if they actually come down in price.
I agree, I find myself using eco mode on my 4000 most of the time because the normal mode is so bright that I almost need sunglasses. :sn:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, I find myself using eco mode on my 4000 most of the time because the normal mode is so bright that I almost need sunglasses. :sn:
Hi Tony,

Can you please tell me what kind of screen you have and the distance of your projector to the screen? I am currently testing the 4000 and comparing it to the Epson 8350. My screen is just a Flat White painted wall set at 120".

Also, do you have any experience with Panasonic Support?

Thanks!

Peter

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Peter, I am using a Jamestown 2,35:1 screen thats 120", I have a review of it here.
My projector is 14' from the screen ceiling mounted.
I have had not issues with my Panasonic but I have heard that the support is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Peter, I am using a Jamestown 2,35:1 screen thats 120", I have a review of it here.
My projector is 14' from the screen ceiling mounted.
I have had not issues with my Panasonic but I have heard that the support is good.
Thanks Tony,

Appreciate the quick response and info :)

Peter

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I have been looking at this pj to replace my Sharp Z12000 since it came out. Now that Panasonic is offering an extended 2 year warranty and $250 rebate, I figured it was a good time to jump on a new one. I almost got a used unit for $1400, but for a few hundred more, it made sense to get a brand new unit with full warranty.

I sure hope it will be an improvement when compared to the Sharp. My screen is a 120" Dalite Hi Power.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts