Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Be sure to let us know what you think about it in comparison once you get it in and get it setup.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Be sure to let us know what you think about it in comparison once you get it in and get it setup.
Mounted the new AE4000 yesterday and fired it up. First impression was that the fan was considerably more quiet than the Sharp. The picture quality prior to calibration is just amazing. Not really fair to compare a 1080p resolution to the native 720p of the Sharp. The Z1200 had a very nice picture as well, but the AE4000 is another level better for sure. In Dynamic Iris, the AE4000 is quite a bit brighter on my 120" Dalite Hi Power. I used the same mounting location. Using the DVE HD calibration disk demonstration, the blacks looked to be much deeper as well.

I need to get familiar with the controls and start the calibration process. I did find that every time I use the focus function, it goes to the focus screen. I need to find out if there is a way to use a blu ray picture to focus on, I would like to use something other than the pj's focus display.

Overall, I am really glad I picked this machine. Considerably less expensive than what I paid for the Z12000 six years ago and a step above the Z12000.

:T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
This is great news... glad it is working well for you.

I am pretty sure you can use the source picture for focus and zooming, although I don't remember exactly how it is done. It seems like it tells you on the screen when you are using the focus or zoom. I imagine one of these other guys will know.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Sonnie,
Thank you. I am going through the entire 'function' manual now. Tremendous amount of individual settings available.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
On the focus screen there is an option to go back to the video, by pushing the button again if I remember right

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Thank you for the tips on the focus. I was able to select the main picture. Ran the DVE HD calibration disk. The stock settings are very near what DVE calls for in a calibrated picture. We watched our first movie in 1080/24p. What an awesome picture. What still stands out for me is how quiet the pj is. I set it to Econ mode and it is barely audible in our room. That is a very welcome change in our room.

So far, it has worked perfectly with no noted problems or issues. Everyone noted how much more detailed and 'realistic' the picture seemed vs. the 720p we were used to on our 120" screen. I am really glad I decided to go for it and upgrade. :clap:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade, Rudy, and thanks for the comments. It seems like this projector is an all-around winner. Is there much air flow using it in econ mode? You mentioned that it is quiet, do you think that the fans are just better than the ones in your last PJ (quieter) or are they pushing less air?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade, Rudy, and thanks for the comments. It seems like this projector is an all-around winner. Is there much air flow using it in econ mode? You mentioned that it is quiet, do you think that the fans are just better than the ones in your last PJ (quieter) or are they pushing less air?
Not sure what the difference is. Next time I fire it up I will check on the airflow issue. Spec wise, the Panny system is supposed to be considerably quiet I believe.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I run mine in eco mode with high altitude mode turned on (this has the fan running faster than normal) but keeps the entire enclosure cooler and as we all know heat is electronics biggest enemy. It is still very quiet compared to my previous Sanyo Z4

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I run mine in eco mode with high altitude mode turned on (this has the fan running faster than normal) but keeps the entire enclosure cooler and as we all know heat is electronics biggest enemy. It is still very quiet compared to my previous Sanyo Z4
Interesting idea. So far, from what I have read, there is no problem running in eco-mode. The picture is not as bright, but I don't need the extra brightness as a general rule. I would only use the brighter setting with ambient light during football games or something where ambient light is desirable.

I'm all for keeping gear cool, but if it was designed to run properly in eco-mode, I'll take the quieter operation any day. I will research this issue just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
One more question for the experts. I have finished calibrating the projector as best I can with my limited knowledge. I wanted to set the x.v. Color to on in the Color1 menu, but it is greyed out. My Panasonic Blu Ray player should be sending x.v. color information if available. Any idea as to why it would be greyed out? The notes mention it only works for the Color1 mode.

Edit: I just noted the manual indicates that x.v. Color is 'On' as default. I just can't play with the setting for some reason.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Two more movies last night and the picture continues to blow me away in 24p. Just a great machine. Today I mailed for the $250 rebate and extended 2-year warranty offer. We shall see how Panasonic handles that process.

·
Registered
22 Posts
CANT get 23.976 hz/fps!

Hey guys - I joined the ae4000u club back in January - and love the picture quality

My quick system specs:
ae4000u
Denon 2808 AVR
HTPC w/ Nvidia GTS 450 Video

I simply can not make the video card hit 23.976 when I try to customize it - and I have had it hooked up 2 different ways. The first was DVI to HDMI in the beginning, and now it is straight HDMI through the Denon AVR. Both ways have had the same issue.

When I set the Refresh rate on my Video card to 23Hz - I get 23.9777. When i go to CUSTOM Refresh, and try 23.976 - I get an error that it was not compatible with my display! So I have gone to 23.975 which actually gives me 23.9738 (or 23.974 rounded). So each of these options are about equidistant from 23.976 and I get roughly the same amount of dropped frames (around 6 per hour).

I know that this is not terrible - but I actually notice the lost frame every now and then, and it ruins my movie watching experience.

I have turned off the 'frame repeat' option on this projector - because I didn't like the 'soap opera' effect that it was having on the movies.

So - anyone else run into this issue with an Nvidia card? Is there a way to tweak it to 23.976 even with this error?

Also - if I simply can not get this video card to output at 23.976 - are there some options on the projector that can help me not notice the dropped frames so much? Does frame repeat look soap opera like if the refresh rate almost matches the movie?

Thanks for any insight!

PS - I notice that this thread has been 'dead' for a while - so I may post this in the main forum under a separate thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, so apparently I am not going to get the video card any closer than what it is now.

So I guess I need to focus on if there is something that can be done on the projector end.

There are two options I see in the manual:
Frame creation (with 3 modes)
Frame response (with normal and fast options)

Which option could possibly help with my issue WITHOUT causing the 'soap opera' affect that I am trying to avoid?

101 - 114 of 114 Posts