Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I have decided on the Panasonic projector for our theater/entertainment room. Our room is 15 x 18 and dark blue with a white ceiling that is 8' high and white trim with beige carpet. It will be used 50/50 movies and sports so we feel a gray screen will be best considering the brightness and black level of the projector. We are considering a 100" to 106" 16:9 screen and need advice as to which paint color or formula to use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also the projector will be ceiling mounted and as far as 15' from he screen.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
My wife and I have decided on the Panasonic projector for our theater/entertainment room. Our room is 15 x 18 and dark blue with a white ceiling that is 8' high and white trim with beige carpet. It will be used 50/50 movies and sports so we feel a gray screen will be best considering the brightness and black level of the projector. We are considering a 100" to 106" 16:9 screen and need advice as to which paint color or formula to use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also the projector will be ceiling mounted and as far as 15' from he screen.
It sounds like you will be doing a lot of viewing with some ambient light in the room to safely move around (sports). Due to that and the brightness of this PJ I would suggest Valspar Ultra Premium Super Flat interior latex paint tinted to the color Glidden 'Veil' available from Lowe's Home Improvement Centers. This is a fairly dark (for screens) neutral gray color, but your PJ should handle it just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has there been any testing to show the gain a screen painted this way will have. I would like to calculate the expected fl with the projector calculator.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Has there been any testing to show the gain a screen painted this way will have. I would like to calculate the expected fl with the projector calculator.
Mech actually did a gain test of this paint and color, it has a measured gain of 0.77 (round that up to 0.8 for the calculator). In a totally flat paint (a perfectly diffusive screen) the gain of this color would be about 0.5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like you will be doing a lot of viewing with some ambient light in the room to safely move around (sports). Due to that and the brightness of this PJ I would suggest Valspar Ultra Premium Super Flat interior latex paint tinted to the color Glidden 'Veil' available from Lowe's Home Improvement Centers. This is a fairly dark (for screens) neutral gray color, but your PJ should handle it just fine.
We were able to get a BenQ W7000 for close to the same price as the Panasonic. Will this paint be a good match for the BenQ as it is a bright projector also?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
We were able to get a BenQ W7000 for close to the same price as the Panasonic. Will this paint be a good match for the BenQ as it is a bright projector also?
Yes. It looks like the BenQ is even brighter than the Panny.

·
Banned
97 Posts
You've got to be kidding: PT AR100U projector!

I had one of these, and so does a friend: they have to be oiled (3 in 1 is good) due to an engineering defect.

Don't believe me? Google please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've got to be kidding: PT AR100U projector!

I had one of these, and so does a friend: they have to be oiled (3 in 1 is good) due to an engineering defect.

Don't believe me? Google please.
Read all the post. We were able to get a BenQ W7000 for the same price so we didn't get the Panasonic. Sorry you and your friend had trouble. What happened?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts