Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Panasonic TCP42G25 about 15 months ago, and it appears to have bit the dust already. I went to shut it off the other night and when I hit the power button on the remote I heard a fairly distinct pop from the right rear of the TV (when you're facing it). Since then it won't power back on. :mad: The LED on the front flashes 4 times and then pauses for a few seconds, but that's all it does. It repeats that pattern continuously, until I pull the power cord from the back.

I couldn't find anything in the manual telling me what that error code is, so I call Panasonic. The guy from support says, and I kid you not, "that something is broken on the inside". Well duh, I could have figured that much out myself!

Anyone else have an issue like this, or know what it might be?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Re: "pop" goes the TV...

Here's what I found:

Four or Six Blinks: The AP board is responsible for four or six blinks of the power LED. The DTV9V, and SUB_5V sources are produced on the AP board. The MPU IC1100 monitors for their presence when the unit is connected to AC Power. A short or open circuit on the A board may also be responsible for their absence.
Could be a bad power supply board. I'll move this to the Panasonic support forum and change the title.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Unless you have the Panasonic service literature I would not assume anything based upon what you find online. The blink codes vary with models, so only pay attention to the correct manual, which can be hard to find.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you have the Panasonic service literature I would not assume anything based upon what you find online. The blink codes vary with models, so only pay attention to the correct manual, which can be hard to find.
I actually found something from Panasonic for my particular model that claims the blink code is either the P or A board, so I suspect in this case it might be a generic code. As a general rule of thumb though I agree; it's best to make sure it's model-specific.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't think Panasonic publishes their troubleshooting guides, but they may be available as part of the service manual. There is a procedure for isolating the board in a case where the blink code is not specific, but I do not recall what it is and it may be model specific. It has been a few years since I took one of their classes.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my TV back last week. Turns out the issue was a cooked SC Board. I didn't update this thread until now because I wanted to be sure that was truly it (the guy who did the repair wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw, if you know what I mean). Looks like I'm back in business though. Well, except for the part where I now begin my fight with Panasonic for some type of compensation.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Tell us about the repair. Who did it? How did you find the company? What made you think the guy was not the sharpest tool in the shed?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tell us about the repair. Who did it? How did you find the company? What made you think the guy was not the sharpest tool in the shed?
I got the repair centers name and address from Panasonic. In order to have them consider any type of reimbursement Panasonic mandated the TV be taken to a service facility they've authorized. How did I know this fella wasn't razor sharp? Dealing with him is all I needed to do. :D He was nice enough, but I didn't get a warm-fuzzy from the whole experience.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am just wondering what company is covering that area. Did the guy indicate any certifications? Do you know the name of the company?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts