Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a gt50 and can't seem to get the picture as crisp as my 5 yr old Samsung LCD. I am using HDMI and in custom mode. No matter what I do, I jus can't shake a very subtle 'fuzz' (for a lack of a better term) that keeps it from equalling the crisp, detailed picture of the old Samsung. Frustrated.....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Where is your contrast set?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just bought a gt50 and can't seem to get the picture as crisp as my 5 yr old Samsung LCD. I am using HDMI and in custom mode. No matter what I do, I jus can't shake a very subtle 'fuzz' (for a lack of a better term) that keeps it from equalling the crisp, detailed picture of the old Samsung. Frustrated.....
I've got a 55VT30 which may respond differently to setting adjustments than your more current GT50 but I find that on my set, a contrast setting of over 72-74 introduces dither. Blue specks/fuzz in blacks. My incoming cable signal is straight to the TV from the wall, no cable box and with an HD signal the picture is realistically crisp with the sharpness setting at 14. Factory preset is 50 for mine and likely yours as well but I'm not sure. I do think the Panasonic plasmas inherently have a slightly softer picture quality than their LCD counterparts. To my eyes, the picture of a lot of the LCDs I've seen in stores appear artificially sharpened and not as natural as our plasmas. Since you really liked your LCDs image sharpness/detail I'm not sure the Panasonic is going to fully satisfy you in that area of performance.

I use THX and my settings are:
Contrast - 69
Brightness - 54
Color - 52
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 14
Color temp - warm2
Color mgmt - off
Cats - off
Video NR - off

ASPECT ADJUSTMENTS
Screen format - full
HD - size 2
Block NR - off
Mosquito NR - off
3:2 pulldown - on

Don't know if any of that info will be helpful to you but I hope so. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a 55VT30 which may respond differently to setting adjustments than your more current GT50 but I find that on my set, a contrast setting of over 72-74 introduces dither. Blue specks/fuzz in blacks. My incoming cable signal is straight to the TV from the wall, no cable box and with an HD signal the picture is realistically crisp with the sharpness setting at 14. Factory preset is 50 for mine and likely yours as well but I'm not sure. I do think the Panasonic plasmas inherently have a slightly softer picture quality than their LCD counterparts. To my eyes, the picture of a lot of the LCDs I've seen in stores appear artificially sharpened and not as natural as our plasmas. Since you really liked your LCDs image sharpness/detail I'm not sure the Panasonic is going to fully satisfy you in that area of performance.

I use THX and my settings are:
Contrast - 69
Brightness - 54
Color - 52
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 14
Color temp - warm2
Color mgmt - off
Cats - off
Video NR - off

ASPECT ADJUSTMENTS
Screen format - full
HD - size 2
Block NR - off
Mosquito NR - off
3:2 pulldown - on

Don't know if any of that info will be helpful to you but I hope so. Good luck.
Thank you! I'm not sure that was what I wanted to hear but I will test out your settings and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've got a 55VT30 which may respond differently to setting adjustments than your more current GT50 but I find that on my set...

ASPECT ADJUSTMENTS
HD - size 2
Something that I would check is the Aspect Size control (as listed above). Make sure that is pixel for pixel = Size 2 otherwise, there will be overscanning and blurring of HD content. I believe the default is Size 1 and does overscan (why Panasonic does this is beyond logic). This setting is under Aspect Control on the Setup Menu.

·
Registered
98 Posts
... why Panasonic does this is beyond logic ...
Greetings

The answer to this question is found here.

It is hardly beyond logic ... and if you owned a TV company, you would be doing what they do as well. Or else it is going to cost you ...

Regards

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is hardly beyond logic ... and if you owned a TV company, you would be doing what they do as well. Or else it is going to cost you ...
I read and see your point. However, does this give the manuafacturer's Owner Manual or service person the free pass not to explain the problem with the possible choices. I have looked up the Manual on Panasonic's website for the GT and the manual has nothing. It doesn't even tell you what's in the Setup Menu. It only goes over the initial startup choices and nothing further. If it was in the manual and someone did not read it shame on them, but for the manuafacturer not to thoroughly explain there own product is inexcusable!

BTW this is not an inexpensive HDTV! All manufacturer's give little or no feature explanations on their own product!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I have it on 2....not happy with this tv. My old LCD has a superior picture, all there is to it. Thanks for the advice. Going to return this thing and start over.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
What sources are you playing and what are you using to calibrate the picture?

Usually what people think is an issue with sharpness is really an issue with dynamics. Most TVs running digital sources need their sharpness set very low. Also have you set your HDMI? Limited/full?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What sources are you playing and what are you using to calibrate the picture?

Usually what people think is an issue with sharpness is really an issue with dynamics. Most TVs running digital sources need their sharpness set very low. Also have you set your HDMI? Limited/full?
Sharpness is at 0. I've tried d. Katzmaiers settings among 3 or more 'pro's' settings, none of which can shake the lack of crispness. Only on close ups can I see detail I remember in the old days of my LCD. I have u-verse, to my onkyo tx-nr709, HDMI to tv.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Set your HDMI range to limited

Download the rec709 calibration files and use the clipping/crushing slides to get your dynamics set right...

Have you tried just switching your color temp back to cool?

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I first got my 55VT30, I was a little bit surprised and disappointed at the slightly softer image quality it displayed compared to some LCDs that I had seen in various stores. I've never owned an LCD (or a plasma for that matter) before but I had seen a lot of LCDs in stores that had a great, sharp and detailed image (along with other qualities I didn't like as much).

At that time I was using a PS3 as my blu-ray player and I also had my VT30 professionally calibrated so the only thing missing from the otherwise fantastic picture quality of my set was that last bit of detail in the image that I had seen on some LCDs. About six months ago I purchased an OPPO BDP-95 blu-ray player which has excellent video processing and in the OPPO I adjusted the sharpness control to +1 and thats all it took to finally give me the very natural but still highly detailed sharpness I wanted this TV to have and that looked as sharp or just about as sharp and detailed as those LCDs.

I personally prefer plasma to LCD for most areas of outright picture quality but I have noticed that plasma tends to have a slightly softer image quality than LCD in a lot of cases. Thankfully my blu-ray player does an excellent job giving me the sharpness of the best LCDs I've seen without over exaggerating things or bringing with it any of the other things that I personally don't like about LCDs.

Plasmas generally have a dimmer and slightly softer, more film like image quality compared to most LCDs which turns off many previous LCD owners but I personally find plasmas to have a more realistic and true image quality overall than LCDs. Especially when professionally calibrated and I don't mean at Best Buy.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When I first got my 55VT30, I was a little bit surprised and disappointed at the slightly softer image quality it displayed compared to some LCDs that I had seen in various stores. I've never owned an LCD (or a plasma for that matter) before but I had seen a lot of LCDs in stores that had a great, sharp and detailed image (along with other qualities I didn't like as much).

At that time I was using a PS3 as my blu-ray player and I also had my VT30 professionally calibrated so the only thing missing from the otherwise fantastic picture quality of my set was that last bit of detail in the image that I had seen on some LCDs. About six months ago I purchased an OPPO BDP-95 blu-ray player which has excellent video processing and in the OPPO I adjusted the sharpness control to +1 and thats all it took to finally give me the very natural but still highly detailed sharpness I wanted this TV to have and that looked as sharp or just about as sharp and detailed as those LCDs.

I personally prefer plasma to LCD for most areas of outright picture quality but I have noticed that plasma tends to have a slightly softer image quality than LCD in a lot of cases. Thankfully my blu-ray player does an excellent job giving me the sharpness of the best LCDs I've seen without over exaggerating things or bringing with it any of the other things that I personally don't like about LCDs.

Plasmas generally have a dimmer and slightly softer, more film like image quality compared to most LCDs which turns off many previous LCD owners but I personally find plasmas to have a more realistic and true image quality overall than LCDs. Especially when professionally calibrated and I don't mean at Best Buy.
Like all companies there are good and bad employees. I was a calibrator for geek squad for a while before getting promoted. I used sencore equipment with CalMan. I calibrated at 10pt or 2pt and would adjust CMS when available. I had my testing done by Bob Fucci and he seamed to be okay with my level of understanding.

I can speak for most of my coworkers when I say we have a commitment to quality service and have a general since of pride in our work. If you personally had a bad experience I'm sorry, but please don't judge me and my team when you haven't met us.

Back to the point at hand. Some people like led/LCD better them plasma. It sounds like this my be the case. If so then you're better off just getting what you like.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Like all companies there are good and bad employees. I was a calibrator for geek squad for a while before getting promoted. I used sencore equipment with CalMan. I calibrated at 10pt or 2pt and would adjust CMS when available. I had my testing done by Bob Fucci and he seamed to be okay with my level of understanding.

I can speak for most of my coworkers when I say we have a commitment to quality service and have a general since of pride in our work. If you personally had a bad experience I'm sorry, but please don't judge me and my team when you haven't met us.

Back to the point at hand. Some people like led/LCD better them plasma. It sounds like this my be the case. If so then you're better off just getting what you like.
I don't know you or your team so I can not and DID NOT make any judgement against you or them personally whomever you/they are. In fact, I didn't say anything about any one person or persons. I didn't name any names or the names of any teams like Geek Squad. I didn't even write the words Geek(s) or Squad, Geek Squad or team(s) and I never said anything about a lack of any sense of pride or lack of any form of commitment either on anyone's part. I wrote 'Best Buy' and was speaking generally so why you took what I said so personally, I can't and don't understand.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't know you or your team so I can not and DID NOT make any judgement against you or them personally whomever you/they are. In fact, I didn't say anything about any one person or persons. I didn't name any names or the names of any teams like Geek Squad. I didn't even write the words Geek(s) or Squad, Geek Squad or team(s) and I never said anything about a lack of any sense of pride or lack of any form of commitment either on anyone's part. I wrote 'Best Buy' and was speaking generally so why you took what I said so personally, I can't and don't understand.
All best buy installation services are performed by geek squad (home theater, computer, car-audio/alarm). We're the same company. When you say not 'best buy' you are literally saying not geek squad. Since that's who I work for you're telling people not to do business with me. I see us getting slammed a lot around various forums and I've started saying something about it because it bothers me.

I'll leave it there and if you would like to continue this topic ill happily do it with you via PM as I would rather not side track this persons thread about image quality of his gt50

1 - 20 of 27 Posts