Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wildwood flower grew wild on the farm. We never known what it was called.

I've done many things in audio but never this. I am researching the possibility to drive one load (speaker) with the outputs (identical input to each) of two or more amp sections. so far the answer is "it depends." I didn't find anything here at HTS after a quick search. This is not to be confused with bridging a stereo amp, which is (I suppose) a more common feature, indeed, for decades, many two-channel amps can do this by design. On the other hand, I'll admit I've never heard a claim that Amp X could have its two outputs paralleled. My interest is not purely academic.

Some said it was a flower, some said it was a weed. We never gave it much thought.

I am buying the following for friends' systems, thanks the HTS members for the recommendation:

Sherwood R-772 ... a typical (?) HT receiver. Claims 100 W/channel. 7.1 channels, so it is possible that I might parallel 2 or 3 channels for more power. The manual does not mention this, but it does mention bi-amping, as long as load is 6 ohm or more.

One day I was out in the field and I reached down for a weed to chew on.

I imagine that if things were this easy, more people would do it. But it doesn't hurt to ask. anyone done this? Or am I going to melt my receiver?

Things went fuzzy, things went blurry, then everything was gone.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I've done many things in audio but never this. I am researching the possibility to drive one load (speaker) with the outputs (identical input to each) of two or more amp sections. so far the answer is "it depends." I didn't find anything here at HTS after a quick search. This is not to be confused with bridging a stereo amp, which is (I suppose) a more common feature, indeed, for decades, many two-channel amps can do this by design. On the other hand, I'll admit I've never heard a claim that Amp X could have its two outputs paralleled. My interest is not purely academic.

I am buying the following for friends' systems, thanks the HTS members for the recommendation:

Sherwood R-772 ... a typical (?) HT receiver. Claims 100 W/channel. 7.1 channels, so it is possible that I might parallel 2 or 3 channels for more power. The manual does not mention this, but it does mention bi-amping, as long as load is 6 ohm or more.

I imagine that if things were this easy, more people would do it. But it doesn't hurt to ask. anyone done this? Or am I going to melt my receiver?
Don't do it. I do not know if it will melt or just shut down. Connecting the outputs together is a bad proposition whether or not there is a speaker attached. Each one will shunt the other unless they are perfectly matched and I had no idea how closely the individual channels of a mch AVR are matched.

Bi-amping is possible but yields negligible results. Bridging is more effective but you cannot do that unless the AVR offers the option.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it sounded a bit too good to be true. Otherwise if we wanted a zillion watts, we could just buy a bunch of amps and parallel the outs. It may work in special conditions, like the output section of an amp, but not at the user level.

"And he dug and he burned and he burned and he dug, and killed all our cute little weeds.
Then he drove away. We just smiled and waved, sittin' on that sack of seeds." [From the 1970s pop tune "Wildwood Weed" by Jim Stafford.]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts