Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Probably showing my ignorance here, but I have been experiencing some pop/crackle coming from my 2 channel set up. The speakers are brand new and I have checked all cables, wires, etc. I swapped out the amp mentioned above with an Emotiva Mini-x currently not being used. The pop/crackle was gone. I am going to take the parasound into my local repair place today, but thought I would throw these three factors out to see if anyone had some thoughts as to what might be going on before dropping $50 non-refundable bench fee to the repair shop.

1) The AC plug socket on the back of the unit has a slight wiggle to it. Loose connection the cause?
2) The amp had been off (not in use) for over 24 hours yesterday when I replaced it and it was still warm to the touch?
3) I swapped out the power cable that came with the amp for a beefier one. Is it possible the cable was feeding the amp too much power and it over heated?

I probably sound like a bit of an idiot asking these questions, but the science of electronics has never been my thing......just an appreciation for how the right electronics reproduce beautiful sound!

Thanks for any thoughts on the topic!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The repair shop came up with nothing - nada - zero. He was shocked to see a parasound unit come through his doors, noting that he hardly ever has them come in for repair. When I went to pick it up, he said "I abused this thing and it didn't miss a beat." The term "abuse" caused me a bit of concern, but he clarified that he pushed the amp really hard, it got pretty stinking hot and didn't have anything but flawless performance. :scratch:

While I was without the amp, I put my Emotiva Mini-x in the chain and set the Parasound Zpre to line level out. Everything worked flawlessly.

So now I am left with a system that works great with the Emotiva and a very reputable repair guy saying the Parasound is in perfect working condition. Is is possible that the static and poping is coming from the z pre since the issue went away when I switched the pre to line level? I wanted to get some input on that before I go swapping out all my cables and wires.

As always, thoughts appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Put the Parasound back in the system and see if the pop/crackle returns.
If not maybe the problem was just a connection that needed to be reseated.

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Is is possible that the static and poping is coming from the z pre since the issue went away when I switched the pre to line level?
You could try the z-pre variable out to the Emotiva and see. And try the Z3 off the Emotivas pre-outs when connected to the z-pre's fixed outs as you have it now.
I have to assume Parasound was of no help when you contacted them...?
Btw, is the "Turn on options" switch on the back of the Zv3 set to "Audio"?

cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts