201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Here is a quick overview:

High power Sub required for mostly music, but also games and movies
Small amount of availiable space
Flexible on the amplifier as I will be buying this afterwards
This is my first build

I believe I have found a solution which will suit my needs. It was constructed by Adrian Mack and can be viewed here:

http://www.geocities.com/adrian_mack/

My question for you is, is this a good system that he has built? Since all the details are posted on his website it doesnt seem like it would be too difficult to replicate. Is it a good idea to have a go at building this, or are there better solutions out there?

Regards,

James

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also something that makes things slightly more complicated is it seems like his selection of speakers / subs arnt being made anymore. Is it as simple as using the new releases of the companies products, or would all of the sizes / weighting need to be recalculated to reflect the different model?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Creative sound solutions offers kits for 8", 10" 12" and 15" small subs using passive radiators. Check them out here.

http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?make=CSS

Just remember if budget is a big constraint for you that a passive radiator sub will always be more expensive than a ported or sealed sub, after all, nice, large PRs aren't exactly cheap, and the only major advantage is the box will be smaller. Usually if floor space is the main issue, and you don't have wife acceptance factor to worry about you can just make the thing narrow but tall and port it out the top.

Also if you look in the members subs database I believe there are a few other PR builds, and if you want to go really small Roman has a super small PR sub on his website at http://www.rjbaudio.com

If you do want to recreate the sub this guy built you would need to recalculate the design using WinISD or Unibox with the parameters of the currently available Peerless 12" drivers as the specs could have changed signifigantly which might make the thing sound terrible if you just built it per the spec he currently has.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi.

Thank you for the reply. Ive been on the creative sound site, unfortunatly there are two problems with that set, the box required is 20" which is too big for me and it also comes with bits that I dont need, like the amp.

Im unable to find the project on RJB audio that you mentioned, I searched "passive" and "PR".

Im going to look for a company that still stocks those speakers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im building two subs, one for the living room and one for my bedroom. Im building an exact replica of the link posted above and Ive found suppliers of the required subs in Finland and Poland which means I am going for a proven design so im happy. The kit is going to set me about about £400 in total. Ill post a build log on here when they arrive.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congradulations, let us know how it turns out. I bet it'll sound awesome, and post plenty of pics, and measurements if you have the equipment to make them.

The sub from RJB audio if I am remembering correctly used a little 6 or 7" subwoofer so it probably would have been too weak for you, tho it is very small. Hrm well never mind that sub is ported, but it is still very small anyways.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much, I will do. Ive got some plans to spice it up a bit with some red backlit amp guages for the front :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have ordered the exact model numbers :). Ive been looking into it a little more and I would like to make it an active subwoofer.

However, I havent really factored this into my budget so really I would like to go for an affordable option, possibly buying a second hand one on ebay.

Can anyone recommend one for this kind of setup? I believe the man in the link used a 350W "AA0508" model active sub unfortunatly this doesnt really mean much to me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
England. I dont mind getting stuff shipped from over seas if it works out cheaper though.

EDIT: Ive been searching. I really dont know what im looking for, but if I post this as a starting point maybe people can tell me if it has too much / little power for my setup, and is generally a good / bar choice. Im all ears ;)

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=360&products_id=371

·
Registered
369 Posts
England uses 240 volts right? I guess the first thing to look for is if any amp you're looking at works without an adapter transformer.

For what its worth when I cruise ebay looking for cheap plate amps I usually don't see anything thats much of a better deal than what you can get at partsexpress.com apexjr.com or madisound.com Partsexpress sells a perfectly decent 300watt Bash plate amp for $150usd.

Another option is using a regular power amp and then some sort of active crossover and tone control. Like a Behringer EP1000 amp and a Reckhorn B1 active crossover. However, the chances of being able to pull something like that together for less than $200 is pretty low, if not completely nill. I'll scrounge the google and see if I can find any for sale local to you.

Edit* A quick google search turned up these things.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/2685-sub-plate-amps-uk.html

Oaudio Sells a Bash amp that will work on 240vac, shipping is $44 usd
http://www.oaudio.com/300W_SUBAMP.html the amp is $160 usd

Edit Edit* That Keiga unit from Madisound is exactly what you need but I'm not sure what makes it cost $225, when there are plenty of other 250-300 watt plate amps available for under $160.

Your sub can handle approx 300 watts according to modeling in Winisd. However it is an 8ohm sub and most amps are rated for at power into 4 ohm subs. So a 300watt plate amp would provide around 150 watts and a 500watt amp would provide around 250 watts. With 150 watts the thing gets plenty loud enough to rock and at any sane listening levels in your small room will probably be fine. But if you want to drive the thing as hard as it can be driven and really make some noise you'll want an amp rated at 500 or 600 watts into 4ohms. Just thought you'd like to know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt actually think about the voltage difference (yes England is 240), thats a lucky escape ;)

My budget is about £300 for an amplifer (although I dont want to spend that much if I can help it). This could be one power amplifier and a cross over or a sub amp and a smaller amp.

I dont really understand the part about the crossover and tone controller, so I guess I should read up on that, however if you are able to see if it would be feasible it would be awesome.

Can I assume from your post that 300W is suitable for the setup Im going for?

---------------------

P.s. I dont think I need any fancy "bass boost" features on the sub amp because apparently the speakers arnt designed for it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
As far as I can tell most plate amps seem to be able to accept dual voltage, but you could always e-mail the seller and ask before you buy. Any one rated at 300 watts should be more than sufficient.

As for the tone control you need that to be able to set how high you want the subwoofer to play. If you play it full range without anything limiting it to below 80 or so hz it will sound like the most terrible thing you've ever heard. Adjustable gain will allow you to make it quieter or louder so it matches the volume of your other speakers without being overpoweringly loud, or too quiet.

The Oaudio bash 300 amp would be approx $205 usd shipped to you, but you have to add VAT and whatever else is involved in shipping something from North America to Europe. I think it would still be substantially less than 300 pounds, or euro, whichever ;)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The Oaudio bash 300 amp would be approx $205 usd shipped to you, but you have to add VAT and whatever else is involved in shipping something from North America to Europe. I think it would still be substantially less than 300 pounds, or euro, whichever ;)
Extra costing means you have to add about 19.5% to the cost. This is after you convert the purchase price into GBP, so you convert then +19.5%.

The end figure will be approximate, and it does change with currency fluctuation.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts