Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. Firstly I started with a PB12-NSD wich sounded great. Then a week later I decided to buy the PB13-ULTRA because I love overkill and it is the best. Is it possible to run both these together? I have them in a room which is about 110sq ft? If not I will probably end up selling the NSD and buy another ULTRA.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Pb13-ultra & pb12-nsd

Of course it's possible, but I would not run their entry level 12" with their flagship product at the same time. Besides, given the extraordinary headroom of the Ultra, they would be difficult to calibrate together.

-Robb

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There is no reason why you cant run both together. It will just take a bit more time to tune them so they work together. You wont know until you try so do that first.
Obviously running two PB13Ultras would be a better choice but you never know the PB13Ultra may be enough just on its own given its huge output.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd say that it probably wouldn't be worth it to run both subs at the same time. The Ultra is a far superior subwoofer in every way. You'd might as well at least try it out, but my guess is that you won't even miss the PB12-NSD once you've experienced the Ultra. Besides, if you're really serious about selling it and getting a second Ultra, you'll have an incredible bass setup!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying, I am not going to try and run both. I just posted it for sale so I am going to go with a second ULTRA in the near future. This ULTRA buries that NSD!!! Simply amazing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very cool! The Ultra is a of a sub. I don't own one but I've heard one in an AVS forum member's 10,000 cubic foot room and it still could hit ~105dB peaks at the listening position and it sounded great. I've owned two PB10-NSD's in the past and I'll be the first to say that the NSD subs are certainly no slouches, but they can't compare to the Ultra. Congrats, and let us know if (when) you get Ultra #2. That will be some serious bass!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woops...thanks Stephen!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Much better :D.

So what have you used to demo the PB13-Ultra so far? I didn't get to hear much, but I watched part of Transformers, the depth charged scene of U-571, and I think one other scene (don't remember). I do remember being very impressed with its output in that huge room. For reference, I'm using an Epik Castle in a <1,000 cubic foot room so I'm used to tons of impact, but at moderately high SPL's the Ultra was still able to deliver a great movie experience in a 10,000 cubic foot room! I was also struck by how nice the Rosenut finish is. Definitely a more aesthetically refined product than my Castle. Overall, my limited experience with the Ultra left me very impressed and I'd be curious to know what your detailed impressions are.

Also, if you have any pics, please do share :yes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well The Dark Knight is my demo disk when I show it off to my friends. That movie has terrific bass especially the scene in the tunnel, the hospital explosion isn't too bad and the end scene where he uses the sonar is pretty good too. I haven't watched Transformers yet, I think that one will be tonight. U-571 has really good grumbling bass that shakes the whole room. My room is actually quite small 110sq ft, it is actually my bedroom. Haven't listened to a whole lot of music yet it has mostly been for HT and PC gaming. What I have heard music wise it remains tight and with great sound quality, no sloppiness whatsoever. The ULTRA pressurizes the room very well and am extremely happy with it. I will post a couple of pictures later today, I just have to find the USB cable for my camera. I bought the Rosenut and it looks great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like our rooms are almost the same size. Subs like the Castle and the PB13-Ultra are pretty ridiculous in rooms our size. I don't think we'll need to upgrade any time soon. Are you really going to get a second Ultra for that tiny room? I thought I was nuts...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I really am going to get another ULTRA, I like having multiples of everything. You're right it is nuts but it is all about overkill!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes I really am going to get another ULTRA, I like having multiples of everything. You're right it is nuts but it is all about overkill!!!
Wow, two Ultras in a 110 square foot room...now you're making me think I need a second Castle :p.

I have a couple of assignments for you to do :D

First, let's see some pictures!!! Your setup sounds like it's absolutely awesome.

Second, you need to bust out the ol' SPL meter and let us know what kinds of peaks you can achieve with the Ultra at your listening position. I'd bet you'll get some pretty sick numbers :T

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a digital camera, I cannot find the USB cord for my phone , I have the USB cord for my roomates phone but when I go to My Computer it asks for a disk....I am lost and I have the pictures I want to post. Any ideas what to do?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright here we go...finally. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

IMG00007rs.jpg

IMG00006rs.jpg

IMG00005rs.jpg

Ok the first one is obviously in front of me, I have a 24" monitor 1920x1200. This is really all I can fit in the space I have.

The second is behind my reference position.

The third one is to the back left of the room where the ULTRA rests.

As you can see the room is quite small but it sounds great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:yikes::hail:

Wow, That's a lot of BIG speakers in a TINY space!! Very impressive...it kinda makes my speakers look like toys in comparison :flex:. I'd bet you can just about blow your face right off with that setup! Is your sound setup in use when you use your computer as well?

So where exactly is Ultra #2 going to go!? I can't even see where you'd put another one unless you stack it on top of the first one. And yes, two Ultras in there would be the very definition of OVERKILL :D! Looks like your place absolutely rocks as it is. Oh hey, I never asked...what tune are you running your Ultra in right now? Have you experimented at all?

Thanks for sharing the pics. If you're interested I have my setup on here as well:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-gallery/9419-poor-college-students-modest-bedroom-ht-setup.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes my computer is connected to the AVR via optical, sounds great when i am playing PC games. Stacking the 2 is pretty much my only option at this point. The whole system is quite loud, I usually listen close to reference level...I like it loud! I haven't tried a different tune yet it is still on stock settings and I quite enjoy how it sounds now. The only setting I have been using is the room comp, it is set to large. Might be a good day to experiment with tuning. Thanks for showing the pictures, I like your setup.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes my computer is connected to the AVR via optical, sounds great when i am playing PC games.
Yeah, I'd bet!!

Stacking the 2 is pretty much my only option at this point. The whole system is quite loud, I usually listen close to reference level...I like it loud!
Me too. I don't always listen that loud because I'm trying to be mindful of my hearing. For example, I try not to listen to music any louder than ~95-100dB for any length of time. Movies aren't so bad because for every 110+dB explosion there's 20 minutes of 85dB dialog.

I haven't tried a different tune yet it is still on stock settings and I quite enjoy how it sounds now.
I'm assuming it's in the 20hz tune? I'd think you might want to try the 15hz tune. Most people report a good 4-5hz deeper extension while only losing 1-2dB of headroom. In a room as small as yours (or mine) I'm not sure you'll miss the little bit of headroom, but you'll certainly notice the increased depth on some material.

The only setting I have been using is the room comp, it is set to large. Might be a good day to experiment with tuning. Thanks for showing the pictures, I like your setup.
Hmm, I'm curious why you'd set the room comp to large. Did you run any measurements or did it just ship with it set that way so you left it? I'm assuming you know that the room comp setting tailors the FR of the sub to be flatter while taking into account the typical room gain encountered in various room sizes. If you're getting too much really deep bass (30hz and below) you might want to try the small setting since your room is pretty small anyway. Otherwise I guess large is fine, or you might just want to bypass it altogether.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just tuned it to 15hz, I can't quite tell the difference yet so I'm gonna have to rewatch some movies. When I received the sub it was set to room comp large so I just left it. I switched it to small and i've just noticed that the excessive deep bass is gone but still there if you know what I mean? I think I was getting too much. I will leave it there to see how it sounds.

I have know yet done any measurements with the REW software. I started reading through some of the help links but it was fairly confusing so I have not gone back to it yet. I just started placing the sub in different areas of the room until it sounded the way I wanted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts