Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use Winamp Pro for all music and WMP for all movies. (Windows 7 64b)

As for your SPDif audio out, you should only let windows manage your audio output and you shouldnt have a problem, it will not be your AVR.

Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
Driver Pack Solutions

Driver Pack Solutions can help older and newer computers with any out of date drivers and software issues. I have used it on a couple of older pc's and has help.

With your audio problem, once your Audio is set by Default with windows any software you run will output through your SPDif remembering your pc will only output 1 signal at a time being 1 digital or 1 analog.

Dave

·
Registered
922 Posts
okay, so overall its not the HTPC that was giving you the problem. Any interest in upgrading your rcvr?

look on ebay for something used. I am going to be selling my yammy on ebay soon. It handles my HTPC needs very well. Im sure you can find something that would work well in the 150$ range that's what my AVR will prob. sell for.

Trust me the HTPC quality of Audio/Video is SO much better than those WDlive pieces of garbage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
XBMC..That looks so cool I can't wait to try it out.
I like how media centre looks and works but hate the fact that it doesn't play all file formats...
Open source rulles!!!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i also have to throw my hat in the ring for xbmc, its a million times better than media center could ever hope to be.
Ive been using JRIVER Media Center for the last 2 months . It is by far the most complete MC I have used....even better than XBMC.... the audio has advanced options for tweaking and the library is much more to my liking managing my movie files ..... Im even running a VST plugin (OZONE 5) for studio quality sound tweaks so I can super tweak all my audio files into audiophile heaven .....:bigsmile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive been using JRIVER Media Center for the last 2 months . It is by far the most complete MC I have used....even better than XBMC.... the audio has advanced options for tweaking and the library is much more to my liking managing my movie files ..... Im even running a VST plugin (OZONE 5) for studio quality sound tweaks so I can super tweak all my audio files into audiophile heaven .....:bigsmile:
nice :) I am going to download it now and check it out... ill let you know my impressions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started doing the pc media thing over 10 yr's ago back when DVD burners wern't so cheep.
Man how thing have come along. If it wasn't for the fact that you could manipulate media on a PC I would of never botherd with them, but it sparked my interest back in the late 90's with the 486...gees I remember the creative sound card I had was as big as my fore arm fitting in the ol' legacy slot back then.
Finally I picked up a 300mhz p3 and could finally play dvd's on the thing [ barley].
I always used winamp for music because of the plugins that you could get with it.
Milkdrop II is still my favorite vis.
VLC and MPC classic were used for the AV files.
I like the fact that you can resize the screen with the # buttons on the keyboard to strech the image with MPC.
Widoz media centre is ok, I use it mostly for recording TV, I like the 30second fowrd jump feature and 10 seconds back to get rid of them comercials.
Now I just finnished installing windoz 8 in the PC along with the rest of my players and so far I like what I see with XBMC. They say it has a lot of IR remote contols in it's data base. I had to cut it off because I had to go to work but I can't wait to go home and play with the new ear & eye candy.
I just want to say thanks to the folks whom have posted their likes and dislikes about their various warez, It saves me alot of trial and error which can be a pain at times.
Here's an old picture about 10 yrs ago when I had the projector and the big sub in the system using a 1.6ghz
P4 PC, things have changed since then but I still use the ol' peavey sp1's for midrage when I'm doing the 2.1 thing...:hsd:

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Can you tell me how Jriver compares to media browser?

Here is a link for MB tutorial and how i works on the GUI.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

I honestly have not used MB but it looks very functional.... Im using JRiver bc it has some serious audio tweaks and can run VST plugins .... :clap:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I liked jriver when I tried it.... however my biggest complaint is that a very windows based program it does not have a Windows 7/8 Phone remote app....

That is why I ended up using foobar. Foobar is free. It has lots of plugins (VST etc). Plus there is a good remote app I can use on the windows phone to control the playback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMHO - XBMC is the best media player and it's free. It still receives updates from it's many open source coders and has excellent Networking integration. Adding a folder from your network is really easy to configure, especially using a NAS. XBMC also allows you to change skins and how your media is displayed among a million other options and features.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
IMHO - XBMC is the best media player and it's free. It still receives updates from it's many open source coders and has excellent Networking integration. Adding a folder from your network is really easy to configure, especially using a NAS. XBMC also allows you to change skins and how your media is displayed among a million other options and features.
I believe XBMC is great for the video and eye-candy aspects, but audio wise - it can't hang with JRiver. It all depends on what your priorities are. If you are an audio person - IMHO, pay the money and get JRiver, but if you are all about skins, appearances, a very visual person, and you don't care about audio that much...XBMC. Foobar would be for a person that's audio only...it's free and not that bad. JRiver adds the best of the Audio and Video worlds into one package (IMHO). :clap:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe XBMC is great for the video and eye-candy aspects, but audio wise - it can't hang with JRiver. It all depends on what your priorities are. If you are an audio person - IMHO, pay the money and get JRiver, but if you are all about skins, appearances, a very visual person, and you don't care about audio that much...XBMC. Foobar would be for a person that's audio only...it's free and not that bad. JRiver adds the best of the Audio and Video worlds into one package (IMHO). :clap:
Thank you! I will have to take a look. I'm always wanting to upgrade and make my Home Theater better, I want to start focusing on audio.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just switched from XBMC to JRiver the other day due to the built in PEQ and madVR support. There's ways to get XBMC to do those too but in my case I lost some functionality of XBMC by switching the player to MPC-HC + madvr. JRiver seems nice but there's a huge learning curve. It took me a week and a half to convert my movie and TV show collection into the file name format and tagged the way JRiver liked. XBMC was much more forgiving of file naming. Also JRiver likes tags so you have to tag everything. It was a big pain to figure out how to view my untagged stuff without using the Explorer option. Once I got all my ducks in a row JRiver is pretty nice, I just wish there was more skins and a few more listing view types.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts