Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I leave my 2 PC Ultras on standby after use and i am just wondering if i should switch off from the mains when not in use would this cause any problems if left in standby.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've done both. They'll pull a little power while in standby mode. Actually, I think I remember reading they pull almost the same amount of power. I switch mine completely off if I'm going to be out of town or possible storms are coming since I don't currently have a surge protector on them. That'll change soon though.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to leave them in standby. Dennis

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I've got two different subs one is 15 years old and I have always left both in auto and never had any issues.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I have always left my subs on when at home, but when going away then it is only sensible to turn off for long periods of time...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had SVS subs for years including a PC 13 Ultra for the past few years. I've always left them ON 24/7 with no problems. Sure, turn them off if on vacation, etc...

Tim
:drive:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree with Tim. every sub that I've had I ended up just keeping on 24/7. Sure the auto-on feature is nice, but I found especially at lower levels, the sub would take a little while to come on. Even at lower volumes, I still wanted to hear the weight of the subwoofer, even if it's not going to shake the house, but if there wasn't enough signal, it wouldn't turn on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just another post reaffirming what has already been said. I leave my subs on 24/7 unless I am going away on vacation. I've never had a problem with them this way. If you are looking to save energy then you can turn them off after each use as they still draw power, as was mentioned, while in the auto-mode. Even when the light is red, as it is just a standby mode for the preamp section. The other possible exception is if you live in an area with frequent and powerful electrical storms as lighting can be devastating. Besides those reasons, I don't see any need to shut them off after each use.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats great guys thanks for all your input :)

I have left mine on standby for long periods of time and the back of the amp section was always warm, so was wondering what the rest of you done.
When in standby they do switch on rather quick when it detects music/films.

I would rather no disrupt the power as i think that may cause more harm then good "life expectancy"

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I have never liked the auto on feature and have just left my subs permanently on, as sometimes the levels can be too low to wake the subs up...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My PC-Ultra is always at auto-on. when I listen to Blurays or play video games at low volume I crank a bit the volume till the sub turn on and after just turn it down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts