Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people:

I recently acquired a set of NOS Acoustic Research AR 102's that I hooked up to a Peavey IPS 150 amp and all was good for about a month now the Peavey is causing static in both speakers with the inputs connected or disconnected, I have never had an amp like this opened up so is this a common problem and if so can it be fixed.

The sound is intermittent and sounds like this "zzxpchkshshshkzzzchchchkk" (sorry no recording device)

Sixer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Wayne:
thanks for taking the time, what should I look for or how should I go about troubleshooting it??
sixxer

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are you driving the Peavey with, try to check that the source isn't causing the problem. Does this sound change with the volume control? If it does it means the problem my be in the source not the amp itself.

Have you got the impedance set correctly - DO NOT OPERATE THE IMPEDANCE SWITCH WITH THE POWER ON. The link below is for the manual for this amplifier.

·
Registered
64 Posts
NOS AR102? Those were introduced in 1990 so could be 30 years old already. Are you CERTAIN the noise is electronic and not mechanical? There is a part in the drivers called a spider that keeps the voice coil centered in the air gap. If those speakers are that old, they could have failed adhesives, failed rubber parts, or failed capacitors in the crossovers. Those were only $200 per pair in 1990 so they aren't going to be manufactured with the longest-life materials, could easily have "time rotted" capacitors, rubber, and adhesives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello guys:
thanks for the replies, as I stated in the original post the static is there with the input disconnected so amp or speakers , I have to borrow a set of speakers to test with. I have not opened up the speakers yet but the external condition is like new.
I will post again after some more testing.
sixer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts