Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that most of the postings in this forum and elsewhere deal with >12" subwoofer drivers in atleast a 2 cu ft box. My problem is a bit different. I am looking for the most bass/bang for buck in a <= 1 cu ft box. Has anyone tried the Peerless 835028 (XLS shallow mount 10" driver) in a small sealed box? The subwoofer will be in the living room, and needs to be of a small form factor.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I will have a look but I think there are a few sub builds going that will be using 8" woofers. I reply again with a link.

And what external dimensions do you want to stay under?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks!
The width has to be 12" or under. The depth can be upto 14". The height has to be under 13"
Martin Logan's Dynamo 700 works

B&W's ASW608 works

Definitive Technology's SuperCube 2000 works

All these subs fit your space and perform quite well.

Edit: sorry didn't see you we're looking for DIY, my bad

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, i am mostly looking at DIY as they tend to be a bit more cost effective than commercial ones. I looked at cerberus design which seems quite nice. Any others out there? The peerless shallow mount 10" driver seems interesting as well but i've not seen anyone building a HT sub with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful Owen!
That is one of a build! Unfortunately, i cannot accommodate a sub like that. Thing is that is has to fit in between the audio stand and the fireplace. And there is only about 11" there. Like i mentioned, i can go a bit deeper, or taller if needed. So i think 8" driver is pretty much what i can use, or a 10" shallow mount driver mounted on the side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike - With my width limited to 11" (internal - 9.5"), i thought since the SDX10 is ~7" deep, it might be a bit too close to the opposite wall if i mount the driver on the side. The 8" Dayton is about 5" deep.

Or does it really not matter as long as the box is reasonably stuffed and the volume is correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts