Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High folks
I need a little input re sub design, what I am tiring to achieve is a compact box with a tidy response
The transducers that I have purchased are of the peerless family being the 12” p830500 and passive counterpart (12”) I have read through the literature that comes with tymphany instructions, which suggests that we use a 35 liter chamber and weight the passive driver with 625grms which will give a tuning frequency of 20 Hz and a cutoff of 17 Hz
I punched in to my bass box program and fiddled with it and come up with these calculations
What I need is some conformation that I am thinking along the right lines, as with all posts that I read it appears that the respondent has a firm grasp on what is being talked about
If we change the input power, volume, vas etc to the equation it changes everything in the end result, so what I am tiring to put in writing is that it is difficult for the lay to comprehend what is being discussed, would it be fair to say that this is not far from the mark
A side from that does anyone agree with my input in the calculations for the box that I am trying to achieve
I am also instructed to use an HPF to restrict cone excuration, now this is an interesting concept, is a (HPF) high pass filter still cocidered that when it operates in a range of 17 Hz?
What is the norm or best placement for the active driver and the drone, would it be driven forward and drone aft or driven down and drone aft or driven down and drone forward the quandary continues
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Cheers 2 more beers speedie
please see graphs why is it sooo hard to upload files all i have tried to do is give a screen snap shoot of my inpit:dizzy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
If you go with the Tymphany instructions the results will be spot on, they are proven designs.

The recommended HPF will allow the sub to operate down to 17 hz and still be within the rated Xmax.

Mounting the driver and drone vertically and opposed to each other is common, although the driver can also be mounted in a down firing (horizontal) position if you so choose. The drone must be mounted vertically, it is not designed to be mounted horizontally.

Uploaded files are restricted by type and size, see here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...-attachments-system-prior-having-5-posts.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input with the snapshots it looks like they did go through
As I was saying in the earlier post it seems that there are a lot of variables that come into play when designing a speaker cabinet
The guys at north creek music where thinking towards the same thing with box dimensions etc.
Would there be any difference in having a cube shape to there rectangular box also with driver location as I was contemplating a down fire front drone rear plate amp configuration
What would be a good design for the required HPF SECTION?
I don’t have all the test facilities that these guys would have
Thanks again speedie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hay mick p how do i do what you did re pasting screenshoothttp://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...g-5-posts.html
i went there and could only manage a zip post
i must be more Illiterate that i thought i as

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mike p
Just dragged out the sub amp that has been waiting for a box to go into and read through the instructions which does indicate that it has a HPF section in it as you have indicated
I bought this along with all the other gear for my projects and now realize that it has a frequency range from 32-250hz does this now mean that it will not produce anything lower than 32hz
I have read were folks are using behringer amps to power there sub projects do they have to build there own HPF or are they also included in it, I think that they are built more for the musso scene?
The power rating is 600 watts into 4 ohms if I drive my peerless 830500 with it is the rating now 300 watt output
Cheers speedie

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts