Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first DIY project was a Peerless XLS 10/12"PR in a 31L enclosure. Out of ignorance, I mounted the driver and PR on opposite sides. With about 600g of weight on the PR, when things get low and exploding, this puppy does some serious rocking.:doh:
I want to rebuild it as an end table, with the driver downfiring, but according to the formula that determines "suitability for downfiring", the XLS doesn't have the right numbers to mount it that way. Close, but not within the parameters for acceptable downfiring mounting.
But, recently I read that someone who had mounted the same driver downfiring about 5 years ago, and uses the sub regularly, measured his XLS to see if there was any sag, and there was absolutely none at all.:scratch:
So I'm wondering if the "generic" formula to determine if a driver is suited for downfiring use doesn't take into consideration all the characteristics of drivers like the XLS.
Has anyone else mounted this driver downfiring and found it satisfactory after using it for some time? Or has anyone had problems with it being used in a downfiring configuration?

Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Change in plans. Well, sort of. :dunno:

The guys at the Cult of the IB have got me all excited about the possibility of an IB. :ponder:
I began checking the spaces adjacent to the HT area for their IB Potential and there just may be a chance that I can do a 2 or 4 sub IB. :bigsmile: So the downfiring XLS for the main HT area is on hold. :waiting:

Meanwhile, I may still do the downfiring XLS, but mainly for music, in another part of the house. :dontknow:
Cheers, Bruce

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I believe BK Electronics (a UK firm) uses the standard Peerless XLS 10" & 12" models in downfiring mode on some of their subs. BK have a good reputation and their subs are popular in Europe.

Good luck with the IB. :T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts