Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Cool PDF, I have not used metal, but It would look great I bet!

Many just use Guilford of Maine fabric, but the metal opens up some new possiblities - as it doesn't need to be pulled tight - in theory, you could make an entire panel with nothing but metal (bent to form tops sides and bottoms and the material inside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
basementjack,
Apart from asthetics, you may have noticed, it also slightly improves the absorption in upper-bass region. However, I am not sure about the availability and price for perforated metals though.

G

·
Looks like something in a perforated metal would be great! A whole lot better than cardboard for sure. Maybe a metal housing of some sort could be made into something that is a little more aesthetically pleasing too. Something with a little flare and class to make the little woman happy. Does such a beast exist? The perforate metal or steel bass trap I mean. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would wire mesh be a better alternative to the perf metal in this instance? May be a little bit cheaper and act in the same fashion? just a thought to some cost cutting alternatives...

Belleville Wire Cloth. Cedar Grove, New Jersey

Can probably find the mesh alternative on that site or something related.

Good Luck guys,

·
Registered
969 Posts
basementjack,
I am not sure about the availability and price for perforated metals though.
If you check it out a Home Depot or similar store it's very expensive. Same goes for McMaster Carr. It's typically more than $50 for a 3x3 sheet. You could punch or drill one yourself but would be very laborious and still pricey for the metal if bought new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Several years ago, we were in a sales room that was built on the factory floor. They used a commercial pre-fab acoustic wall construction, that was perforated sheet-metal panels with acoustic fiberglass backing. That room had a very nice acoustic feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts