Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to permanently apply the sound card and microphone calibration files to the measured response; this would probably speed up the graph calculation, and also you would just have the *measured response* after the mic and sound card responses were canceled... Any ideas; are there other programs that will work with the *.mdat format that could do this?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to 'merge' the responses to get a 'pure measurement' however I have figured out that exporting the impulse response will apply the correction curve to the export so I got what I needed to happen :)

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The cal files are not applied to the measured impulse response, only to the frequency response plots derived from it (and phase plots in V5). There are a couple of reasons for this, one being that if you get cal data for a mic (or soundcard) after having made measurements you can go back and apply the new cal data to those old measurements. Another issue is that to properly apply the cal data to the impulse response you really need phase as well as gain data in the cal which is less often available, although it is possible to make the assumption the cal response is minimum phase and generate phase info from the frequency response. A further issue is that attempting to calibrate out the LF rolloff which is inherent in most devices and measurement chains can lead to boosting LF noise in the impulse response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts