Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
These are the Atmos configurations from the Denon manual.

9-Channel (7.1.2)

11-Channel (7.1.4)

It sounds like the AVS member is using a 4 ceiling speaker arrangement, but with the rear speakers in the middle position. I guess it could work. I've read that Atmos is pretty flexible with respect to seating and speaker locations. I'm glad to hear the feedback has generally been positive regarding Atmos home theater installations. I'm looking forward to getting mine up and running.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Since we're on the topic, I got curious about the available Atmos configs on some of the other current AVRs. Here are the diagrams from the Pioneer Elite receivers.

The SC-85, SC-87 and SC-89 are capable of processing 9 channels, even though some of the diagrams seem to suggest more.

7.1 + Front Height OR 7.1.2 Atmos.
For this speaker configuration, the front height and top middle speakers can't be used simultaneously.

7.1 + Front Wide OR 7.1.2 Atmos
For this speaker configuration, the front wide and top middle speakers can't be used simultaneously.

5.1.4 Atmos (5.1 + 4 Atmos ceiling speakers)
For this speaker configuration all 9 speakers would be used simultaneously.

While these models can only process 9 channels, they actually have 11 sets of speaker terminals. One thing I like about the Pioneers is that you can wire you speakers for more than one configuration, and the AVR will activate and de-activate certain speakers depending on which output configuration you want to use at the time. Let's say for multi-channel music you prefer a setup with front wides, but for movies you prefer Atmos height channels. You can wire both and switch between the two without having to rearrange wires/speakers. The same goes for the lower Elite models, but they process a maximum of 7 channels.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Denons will also allow you to connect 13 speakers even though they can only process 9 or 11. This for the same reason as the Pioneers I believe.

You'll notice on the Denons diagram I posted that there is a lot of overlap between front height and top front. You can be within spec for both. Since the guy on AVS wanted two sets of overheads, but couldn't meet the spec for top rear, and since the Denon does not allow for top middle and top front, this is why he went with top middle and front height. Again it seems to work very well for him.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Oh and even though the Denon doesn't officially list front height + top middle as an Atmos configuration, it is allowed and the receiver will decode Atmos using it.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The Denons will also allow you to connect 13 speakers even though they can only process 9 or 11. This for the same reason as the Pioneers I believe.
I assumed that was the case. It's a handy feature IMO.

You'll notice on the Denons diagram I posted that there is a lot of overlap between front height and top front. You can be within spec for both. Since the guy on AVS wanted two sets of overheads, but couldn't meet the spec for top rear, and since the Denon does not allow for top middle and top front, this is why he went with top middle and front height. Again it seems to work very well for him.
I misunderstood initially. That makes perfect sense.

Oh and even though the Denon doesn't officially list front height + top middle as an Atmos configuration, it is allowed and the receiver will decode Atmos using it.
I noticed that diagram looks like a hybrid of PLIIz and Atmos. Nice to know the two can be combined for Atmos playback. With all of the different Dolby configurations available now (at least on Atmos-enabled AVRs) DTS Neo:X and Audyssey DSX seem unnecessary, or at least redundant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys! I should be ready to prewire within the next few weeks or so and will post some pics along the way. I am wondering now about the subwoofer placement. Optimal spot with my setup would be two in the rear (one on each side of the seating). I don't really have room for any in the front however I can possibly do one in the front inside my A/V closet (see attached pic).

The closet will have shelving starting about 30" off the floor. I can leave the space at the bottom floor open completely with all components above on shelving. Closet is approx 20" x 22" x 96"

Thoughts!?

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I should be ready to prewire within the next few weeks or so and will post some pics along the way. I am wondering now about the subwoofer placement. Optimal spot with my setup would be two in the rear (one on each side of the seating). I don't really have room for any in the front however I can possibly do one in the front inside my A/V closet (see attached pic).

The closet will have shelving starting about 30" off the floor. I can leave the space at the bottom floor open completely with all components above on shelving. Closet is approx 20" x 22" x 96"

Thoughts!?
Do you already have your sub(s) on hand? Best bet would be to try a few different spots to see what sounds best since every room behaves differently. Of the two options you're considering, I would lean toward two subs on either end of your seating. Putting one in your closet might add some undesired boominess to the bass response.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you already have your sub(s) on hand? Best bet would be to try a few different spots to see what sounds best since every room behaves differently. Of the two options you're considering, I would lean toward two subs on either end of your seating. Putting one in your closet might add some undesired boominess to the bass response.
That's what I figured. I have one sub now but I am probably going to purchase two new ones. I want everything to be new for this setup. Currently have an AVRx4000 which I'll be upgrading for an atmos capable receiver. I won't really be able to test the setup if I am prewiring now because everything is open, unless I just run lines for a sub in all four corners and test them out when it's sheetrocked.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have to follow this thread, its so interesting and informative. I already have all the speakers and subs, I just need the new Denon to make it work.....oh and install the remaining speakers.
So i am watching closely to see how its done.

Thanks Peter

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks everyone for your interest in the project. I'm jumping back and forth between the Atmos upgrade, acoustic treatment upgrades, and HTS reviews. I think I've decided on placement for the Atmos ceiling speakers. My plan is to put them within the spec for the front row, even though that will put them out of spec for the back row. I'll put them toward the back of the range for the front row so they'll at least be in the ballpark for the back row. Again, this is based on the fact that the majority of the time my HT gets used it's just one or two of us in the front row, and what I've heard/read that Atmos works pretty well even with less than ideal speaker placement. I hope to get the speakers installed in the next couple weeks when I have some free time. I'm also hoping to get my hands on Atmos-enabled Yamaha and Pioneer receivers to review in the next few months.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm starting to try to track down available media with Atmos soundtracks. So far there is just the one Blu-Ray available which is Transformers 4. A few others have been announced for Nov-Dec release. I suspect there are some Dolby demo discs floating around too, if one has the proper connections. Like any other new AV tech, early adopters won't have much content to choose from. Anybody know of any other Atmos content available now?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I'm starting to try to track down available media with Atmos soundtracks. So far there is just the one Blu-Ray available which is Transformers 4. A few others have been announced for Nov-Dec release. I suspect there are some Dolby demo discs floating around too, if one has the proper connections. Like any other new AV tech, early adopters won't have much content to choose from. Anybody know of any other Atmos content available now?
Dolby has announced three additional titles that will carry an Atmos soundtrack: Paramount Pictures' Hercules (November 4th release) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (December 16th release), along with Lionsgate's Step Up All In (November 4th release).

And also this fall sometime content service provider VUDU, the first streaming service to announce support for Dolby Atmos films.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks for the tips

Dolby has announced three additional titles that will carry an Atmos soundtrack: Paramount Pictures' Hercules (November 4th release) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (December 16th release), along with Lionsgate's Step Up All In (November 4th release).

And also this fall sometime content service provider VUDU, the first streaming service to announce support for Dolby Atmos films.
I had seen those announced as well. TMNT was ok, might be worth trying with Atmos. I use VUDU occasionally, I will have to look into that a bit more.

Some Dolby Atmos demo trailers are available for downloading in the Dolby section of http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

Be sure to download the lossless versions. The lossy DD5.1 versions don't contain the Atmos metadata.
I will check these out tonight. I'm not familiar with that website. Are the clips... shall we say... legally acquired?

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Quick update - I had a chance to mount 4 of the 6 ceiling speakers before a commitment I had this evening. Hope to get the last two up tomorrow. My wire comes Tuesday so it may not be till next weekend that I get them all hooked up. Here are some photos just for fun.

Above the HT. Nice easy access but lots of itchy. There are two layers of blown insulation, one red, one white. In case you were wondering what/who was murdered up there.

Mounted speaker from above. Yes, it's off-center in the hole. I will fine-tune mounting positions when I run the wiring. Today's task was mostly to get the holes measured and cut. I will create a little pocket above each speaker using kraft-faced insulation and then cover it all back up with the loose insulation. This will prevent the loose insulation from piling up in the back of the speaker, and give them some breathing room. This was recommended by HTD.com support. I'll try to post some pictures of that part as I do it.

Looking toward the back of the room - this is the middle set.

Looking toward the front of the room - middle set (closer) and front set (farther). The picture makes it look skewed but they are aligned with my mains (45" in from the side walls).

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Looks Great!! You are so lucky having an attic over your HT! We have our MB over ours.

21 - 40 of 163 Posts