Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well, this is exciting. I am hoping to be able to do something similar within a year from now myself (looking to move to a new house soon). Being prepared for 9.1.6 (at least wiring for it) is smart IMO. Personally I would wire for 11.1.8 (assuming new construction of course, which is not what you're doing). Who knows if I would ever go there (probably not), but wire is cheap.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, this is exciting. I am hoping to be able to do something similar within a year from now myself (looking to move to a new house soon). Being prepared for 9.1.6 (at least wiring for it) is smart IMO. Personally I would wire for 11.1.8 (assuming new construction of course, which is not what you're doing). Who knows if I would ever go there (probably not), but wire is cheap.
Why not just wire for 32.1.10? :nerd:

In all seriousness though, I agree when it comes to new construction. It doesn't hurt to go overboard when it's convenient to make a bunch of extra runs. I'm wiring an existing room for a friend (7.1) and the only good option is via the attic. Half way through I discover there may be some existing speaker wiring and a sub cable. Only found one end of them so far though.....

·
Registered
868 Posts
Heh, wire's not that cheap! Technically it would be 24.1.10 (that's where home Atmos maxes out). I cannot possibly see a significant advantage to going beyond, say, 13.1.8 in a home unless you're building a truly massive home theater with more than three rows of seats. Not to mention, affordable hardware to go beyond 9.1.6 may never be available. But I could see going to 11.1.6 or maybe 11.1.8 for a two-row theater.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Heh, wire's not that cheap! Technically it would be 24.1.10 (that's where home Atmos maxes out). I cannot possibly see a significant advantage to going beyond, say, 13.1.8 in a home unless you're building a truly massive home theater with more than three rows of seats. Not to mention, affordable hardware to go beyond 9.1.6 may never be available. But I could see going to 11.1.6 or maybe 11.1.8 for a two-row theater.
You're right, I did the math wrong (I'm only an engineer). I agree though, unless your HT is much longer than about 20ft or you have more than 2 rows of seating, the currently available AVRs will be enough for most people. I haven't heard an Atmos soundtrack yet that made me think "I need more than 4 overhead speakers". But again, I've got two rows, relatively close together in a 16ft deep room.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
A few pics I meant to post yesterday. We'll call these the "before" photos. In the first one you can see the mockup of the screen size and location. The baffle wall will probably go straight up to the ceiling. I'll have cove running around the perimeter of the room between the top of the sconces and the bottom of the angled section of the ceiling. Basically just waiting for for the construction now. I'd do it myself but I know it would take me months. I'd rather have it done quickly and professionally.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Mostly framed and almost ready to paint. The baffle wall will be covered with some acoustic material and black curtains will eventually surround the screen. Rope lighting will go above the tray along the perimeter of the room. Drapes will also be used to soften the side walls and back wall, and partially camouflage the acoustic panels. The ceiling and tray/cove will all be painted the (new) wall color. The floor and platform will all be carpeted next week. Surrounds, rear, and wide speakers will all be in roughly the same locations as before. The projector will most likely sit in the little space between the upper supports of the rear overhang. If that doesn't work there's just enough space to mount it below. The room will definitely be much more cozy, but that's the look and feel I'm going for. The vast majority of the time it's just me in there, so the arrangement is fitted to the main listening position. Back row will probably be slightly better for movie viewing and front row is ideal for 2-channel soundstage/imaging.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
683 Posts
That room is looking awesome! What are the vertical shelves/framing for in the back on the sides of the riser?

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
That room is looking awesome! What are the vertical shelves/framing for in the back on the sides of the riser?
There is a little half wall on either side of the rear seat for drinks, remotes, gadgets, etc. and to provide a sort of short little corridor for the entrance, like a large scale cinema would have. The one next to the entrance is enclosed and the one next to the closet has shelving for DVDs/Blu-Rays/CDs on the outer side. The inner side of that one is enclosed now, so you can't see the shelves from that angle. Framing and mud is all finished now, and carpet is being installed today. I've got a little wiring to do but I'll post some updated photos tonight or tomorrow. It's coming together nicely. Hoping to find a black friday deal on a projector this week.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I also ordered my projector today. B&H has the AE8000u on sale for $1499 this week so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. That's the best deal I've seen so far. I'm going to project onto the wall to figure out picture size and position before I order my screen. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 105" (16:9) and 125"-130" (2.35:1). Making good progress this week and getting excited to have it all back together. I'm out of town till Saturday, but hopefully by the first weekend in Dec I will have everything pretty much hooked up. Last items will be drapes around the screen and along the side walls. Also a dimmable light strip above the ledge around the room.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks guys. The baffle wall is a bit of a gamble, but I'm hoping it improves bass performance in the room.

Todd - the CC is a smaller Paradigm tower, to be eventually replaced with a 3rd Studio 100 to match the others - probably next year sometime.

Screen and projector are mounted. It's pretty much dialed in for 16:9 and 2.35:1 content. Not the greatest pic but you get the idea. Progress!

image-2500389941.jpg

Projector wiring and rear speaker wiring need to be finalized. Paint starts on the 21st. Drapes, etc will start after the 1st of the year. I have a few patches, odds and ends, etc to wrap up in the meantime but it's more or less functional. Happy with the initial results so far but haven't really tested audio.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts