Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short - I'm in the market for some relatively inexpensive, low profile, wall-mountable surround speakers to replace the Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350s I am currently using for all of my surround channels.

A little background... I originally chose the Def Techs for their cost, size, and specs, and they are great little speakers for under $200 a pair. I currently use them for surrounds, rears, and front wides. I have been bothered for a while by the fact that they stick out quite from the walls, several inches beyond the 6" deep GIK panels I have mounted adjacent to them. It's not uncommon for me to almost knock them off the wall moving around the edges of the room, and to my eyes they just look a bit goofy sticking out.

More specific requirements... They must be no more than about 6-6.5 inches deep, compact/light enough to be mounted to the wall, bass response down to at least 80Hz, lower is better, and relatively inexpensive. I'm thinking under $300 a pair.

What I've found so far... Lots of options that are either too expensive (price range I'd consider for mains, not surrounds), not shallow enough, or need to be crossed over to a sub above 100Hz. I have discovered a couple of very promising options though.

First option: Chase HT M1 MTM monitors. They are pretty much the perfect size, have decent bass response, and Craig is practically giving them away right now. He has graciously offered to lend me a group of them to evaluate. (reference this thread) Consider this an unofficial review of the M1, and expect participation from Craig.

Second option: BIC America FH6-LCR. These are also perfectly sized for my application, with decent specs. Despite their MSRP of over $300 a piece, they are available for a little over $100 a piece.

So, where do I go from here?

1 - Craig will be sending me some M1s next week which I will immediately install in place of my existing surrounds and begin evaluating with the rest of my system. Rather than a typical review format where I compile all of my findings into a single post, I will post regular updates and impressions as I throw new material at them and possibly try some different configurations. Again - you'll hear from Craig, who has personally compared these with many other speakers.

2. I will most likely order at least one pair of the BIC speakers to be integrated into the system as surrounds, and possibly compare the two speakers in a separate two-channel setup.

3. I'm not opposed to suggestions from the forum regarding other speakers that meet my requirements, and I may be willing to toss some others into the mix for the purpose of comparison.

4. Another thing I've been wanting to experiment with is using three identical LCR speakers to see what kind of improvement I can get for imaging on multichannel tracks. Questions, suggestions, etc. on this topic are welcome here too. The idea here is that if I'm super impressed with the surrounds I'd consider just replacing the whole lot with identical speakers. If this subject gets enough attention, I may spin it off into another thread.

5. If you're expecting pics of steaks, sausage, or brisket, and a world-class analysis and write-up like Wayne and the gang are doing out in Alabama, you'll be disappointed. I'll do my best to be objective and answer questions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looking forward to reading your impressions Peter. I'm currently using 2 pairs of M-1s for side and rear surround use and they've really done an excellent job completing the sonic picture. At the price that Craig is letting them go at, it's too good a deal to pass up.

Best....Carlo.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hi to everyone that ventures into this thread.

First, Thank you to Peter Loeser for his thoughtful introduction with this thread. He was kind enough to spend a couple of hours on the phone with me this week, and after we talked it over, he came up with this idea of his testing our products and also welcoming me back as a hobbyist.

There has been so much that has happened in both my personal and professional life that now seems as good a time as any to update and hopefully clarify things. If this post is "too much", let me know, and it will be edited.

1. Chase Home Theater: Chase Home Theater is now dormant. When I started the company in 2010, there were two reasons for doing so - love of the hobby and a chance to help my brother build something special for himself. It became increasingly clear in 2012 and 2013 that he really was not showing anything close to the level of commitment needed to make this business work.

While Chase Home Theater is "no more", my love of this hobby is still there. We will continue to offer close out deals on M-1's, Theater-10's, SBE-118 subwoofers and MQ-600 amps.

2. Personal stuff - the loss of a young man and its effect on our home: In February, 2014, the son of one of our closest friends passed due to hypothermia. He was a senior in college, and also our oldest son's best friend from the age of 4. This young man was 21 years old, and words cannot express the depth of this loss.

Our friends - his mom and dad - are still in the healing process, which will never end. My son is now working for the young man's father - he and this young man were planning on partnering in the dad's auto dealerships - and the dad has graciously accepted my son into his organization and is mentoring him.

It's been a long year - when one has something like this happen to a close friend - and the loss of a child this way is such a shock - the best way I can says this is a lot of the past year has seen me "pinch hitting" in his organization, working to keep things going, while the mourning is occurring.

Everyone is in a better place now - there are still moments of sadness, but also fond memories. This young man was an extraordinary personality, and is missed ... a LOT.

3. The hobby - and getting back to the fun stuff: Over the next few months, we will be selling off all the remaining products. Warranty issues have been considered, and I am keeping in reserve several MQ-600 amps, and 12 of our 18 inch drivers, for future repairs/replacements.

The M-1's are covered by our OEM, as are the Theater 10's.

For the fun stuff, over the next few months, I will be going back to the reviews as we used to do. The products will be purchased, and the review done as an "interactive" thread with a lot of involvement from forum members.

We will be having the occasional "speaker fest" .. or GTG .. where guys like Fatcat/Carlo and others can listen to speakers and post impressions.

I am looking at a variety of subwoofers over the next couple of weeks - and am planning on buying a few for review purposes.

As much as I like our 18 inch subwoofers, I also know there are a BUNCH of great products out there. I am not here to "sell" the Chase products. If our products are something someone wants, great. We only have about 50 subwoofers left ... enough M-1's for about 25 five channel systems ... and enough Theater 10's for 6 five channel systems.

Considering a 5.0 system of M-1's is $500 plus shipping and a 5.0 of Theater 10's is $1250 plus shipping, this sell off will pretty much take care of itself.

The goal in 2015 is to transition back to having fun in the forum world - testing speakers/subwoofers - meeting new friends - and perhaps being a "support person" in this hobby.

Here are a list of subs I am eyeing to test out ...

1. Hsu VTF-15 Mark II
2. Powersound S-3000i
3. XTZ ... they have several models that look compelling

Suggestions are appreciated! If there is a subwoofer someone would like tested, please post your thoughts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Craig,
Looks like a few pages have definitely turned over the past few years. Glad to hear that you are planning on reviewing equipment again. I really enjoyed reading your impressions and always admired your testing methodology. I believe I owe you a phone call as well. Looking forward, as always, to what comes next.

Best....Carlo.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing others thoughts on these speakers. I have 6 of these in my theater and have been very pleased. Looking forward to hearing other's opinions...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Carlo - Thanks for the kind words. It will be good to talk to you again, and yes, you owe that phone call. :foottap:

Bruce - Peter will give the M-1's a thorough break down ... and probably a beat down, too. :D

It should be mentioned that Peter referred to this as an "unofficial" review. This means no one is getting paid to do the review. There will be no advertiser qualifications for reviews, nor will there (for my reviews) any manufacturer "loans" on product. The products tested will be purchased, reviewed, then either kept here or sold.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I can't imagine the BIC's can keep up with the M1's. I suspect there will be rears, surrounds & possible front effects in the near future!!!:bigsmile:

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes - as Craig said, this is more of a "for-fun" evaluation, partially for my own purpose and decision but partially to inform our members. Since Craig and I had already discussed the review, and considering the changes at Chase HT, we felt this would be the best approach. Looking forward to getting started.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Peter - I think you will have a lot of fun with your audition of the M-1's. I just fired up a pair in our "basement theater". For comparison purposes, I have the following speakers available for a quick swap:

1. Ascend 340's
2. Rocket 760's
3. Bose 301's (honest - they sell a LOT of these)
4. Custom rebuilt Electrovoice Georgian corner speakers - essentially Klipsch corner horns. Electrovoice made all the drivers for Klipsch for years (they now use Eminence) - these speakers were complete "retooled" by a high end store in Florida.

Here is a pic of the room - it is a wonderful place to do some serious listening:

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Looking forward to hearing other's opinions...
Make sure you put the pressure on Peter to do a serious beat down on these as the front three "LCR" speakers in his theater. :devil:

His current mains are Paradigm Studio 100's and matching center channel - about $4500 worth of three speakers in Paradigm's current line up. That's some serious stuff against which to compare.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peter - I think you will have a lot of fun with your audition of the M-1's. I just fired up a pair in our "basement theater". For comparison purposes, I have the following speakers available for a quick swap:

1. Ascend 340's
2. Rocket 760's
3. Bose 301's (honest - they sell a LOT of these)
4. Custom rebuilt Electrovoice Georgian corner speakers - essentially Klipsch corner horns. Electrovoice made all the drivers for Klipsch for years (they now use Eminence) - these speakers were complete "retooled" by a high end store in Florida.

Here is a pic of the room - it is a wonderful place to do some serious listening:

Those Electrovoice speakers just look cool. Not to mention they coordinate nicely with your room!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Craig,

Loosing a son or daughter has to be one of the most tragic and impacting events I can imagine. I pray for everyone's healing.

But, great to hear you stepping back into this enjoyable hobby. It was the craigsub list that first intrigued me into getting deeper into this hobby, and having many of your products, I've been enjoy movie watching to a new level. I still am surprised all the products you've had, have never received the credit they deserve, but it looks like now the consumer will be heavily rewarded with these prices and performance.

I look forward to some spirited banter again with all things audio. Business keeps us going, but music and movies make it fun!

As to sub reviews, I'd like to also hear a review on one of the Rythmik subs. And the 3000i looks very intriguing as well. Good hunting.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Sbdman - Good to see you posting here. It would be great if we could get a lot of the old gang back here over the next few months, and also make some new friends.

I am looking into several products for possible tests - all which will start after Peter gets his review done on the M-1's. Part of the review process is to continue something that the M-1's were aimed at - "Affordable High End Sound".

Peter's review should give people a real idea how good the M-1's are - especially for the $100 per speaker - but we only have about 110 remaining, and I expect they will go fairly quickly.

One challenge (and some fun, too) is to find a 5.1 system for under $500 that's a worthy entry level system for people thinking about getting into our hobby, and who want more than a "soundbar".

The Rythmik sub is also a good call in the "high end".

For our basement theater - I am kicking around a few ideas for a "standard bearer" speaker against which to test others. Sierra towers are in the short list, as are some speakers from XTZ. The Home Theater Direct Level 3 Towers make some pretty high claims for a speaker that sells for under $1000 per pair.

This is going to be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I could add some ideas to your standard bearer list. I got a chance to hear the new GoldenEar Triton 5 tower speakers and the Revel F208 towers at CES this year and both sounded pretty exceptional.

Best.....Carlo.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Carlo - Those are some good suggestions, thanks! The GoldenEar speakers sure make some bold claims - and the Revels are one good looking loudspeaker! Legacy has also made the list. I had a pair of their original "state of the art" speakers, purchased in 1988. They were called the Model 1, and had an 8 and a 10 inch subwoofer, ported, tuned to about 25 Hz - and were amazing.

The current speakers from Legacy which are the closest would be the Signatures.

My bride gave me the nod to "go wild" for the "standard bearer" speakers earlier today.

I will be reaching out to GoldenEar, Legacy, Revel, Magnepan and Martin Logan over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's very nice to have such an accommodating spouse in these matters! ;) I've never had a chance to hear the Legacy speakers in a proper setup up but all the write ups have been very favorable. Magnepan and Martin Logan are excellent choices too. GoldenEar definitely has some aggressive PR but the Triton Sevens that I reviewed last year were a great pair of speakers in my house. The Triton Fives were the same but bigger and "more." At CES they also unveiled a new sub with dual, opposed 12" drivers and dual passive radiators. It sounded pretty solid with the demo material that they were playing.

Best......Carlo.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Briefly returning to the regularly scheduled programming ....

PETER ... The M1's did go out yesterday! I am anxious for you to get them.

Back to trolling with Carlo ... GoldenEar has some info about the new sub in their blog, but nothing on the main site yet. It does look interesting, for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Craig,
I finally got my new MQ-600 hooked up last week. I was running my existing MQ-600 powering my
pair of SS18.2's and had my four new SBE-118's powered by just one channel of my new MQ-600.
Now I have two each of my SBE-118's for each channel on my new amp.
I watched the movie Fury this past weekend. The word that keeps coming to mind is "INCREDIBLE"!
The movie itself is a very realistic depiction of war and can be a little disturbing at times but the LFE depicts
the most realistic gun fire that I have ever heard anywhere outside of an actual firing range (and you and I have talked at length about my knowledge of firearms. I KNOW what a wide variety of firearms sound like).
I'm extremely pleased with having eight 18" woofers in my room. Although they do take up some real estate,
they are not as intrusive as one might imagine. But the sound!, Oh Man Do They Sound Great!
I cannot imagine needing any more subs ever.

I'm sorry that you are idling your sideline business but I do understand. As I told you on the phone, I'm truly
sorry for your loss for one that I believe you thought of as a son.

I'm glad you will still be reviewing products as your Craigsub rankings was one of the main reasons I became interested in a DIY sub and eventually to your products. CHT/Chane subs are preassembled products at near DIY prices.
I'm also indebted to you for encouraging me to purchase the sealed subs. Coming from 3 vented enclosure
subwoofers to the sealed, it took me awhile to appreciate what true accurate bass sounds like. After getting used to it, and really LISTENING to music and movie sound effects, all I had to do was add a few more subs to get the best of both worlds. Tight, accurate bass and also incredible output.!

I look forward to your reviews/comments and getting back to having fun yourself.

Thanks Again Craig.

God Bless,
Brian

P.S. I also hope all of our friends from CHT/Chane come over to this forum.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Brian (Glock3540) ... Thanks for the update! It's good to see you are loving the subwoofers!

And Peterman got the M1's today! He is also going to test an MQ-600, which should arrive his place next week.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts