Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has had success spraying their screen. I am looking at Harbor Freight to get an inexpensive air pain sprayer. I don't want to scimp on the quality. Any recomendations as to which one is best? Their is a pro automobile spray kit here, but is this overkill?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=324&pricetype=

I am waiting on my AAA from repaints.com, 5 bucks priority mail shipping!

Thanks

Bidzer:rubeyes:, did you spray or roll?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
To be honest, I think that spray gun is overkill. The other thing is that it holds 1/2 gallon of paint! Also, the hoses aren't long enough to allow painting a PJ screen without carrying the paint cup as well - that seems a bit clumsy to me (when I spray with the gun below, I hold the air-hose with my left hand so it isn't tugging on the gun in my right hand as I spray). Another thing I find interesting is that they don't tell you the nozzle size it uses. This is a pressurized gun and I don't know how well it would work with only 4 or 5 oz. of paint in the cup (the amount I use when spraying test panels); this may not be a consideration if you never want to spray small projects.

I use the gun below.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43430
It has the recommended 1.4mm (0.054 inch) nozzle and the 20 oz. cup holds enough paint for at least several coats on even the biggest commonly used screen. The top just unscrews to add more paint. Cleanup is a relative breeze, that pressurized gun could be a pain. I notice the gravity gun is now selling for $20 less than I paid for mine!

I forgot to add; be sure the gun you get is HVLP! Regular high pressure non-HVLP guns do a better job of atomizing the paint, but the cost of that little bit of extra performance is only 30% of the paint that come out of the gun actually sticks to the target! I'm not joking or exaggerating, that's the right number! The numbers are reversed for HVLP, 70% of the paint goes where you want it!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Wow that gun sure is cheap...I may have to get one of those....
I have a Dewalt Nail Gun rig, so my compressor shouldn't have a problem running that.

I was considering the Wagner gun, because I'm SICK of painting 6 panel doors(WHITE- by hand....a real pita), but this would be even better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts